Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2006, 02:43 PM   #81
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
The head unit is CD only; no DVD. I'm ashamed to admit this in a public forum mainly populated by other men, but I don't know the answer to your second question Brent . It is a Sony, I know that much and it is XM ready, now I get lost from there. It looks like I may have to do the unthinkable and get out the owner's manual and actually read some of it .

This week end is the first time I've ever even turned it on. Quiet frankly this is the first unit that was more complicated than I could figure out just by turning it on and playing with the buttons for five minutes.

We were in the mountains this past week end in a valley where we couldn't even get FM so I put a CD (Jimmy Buffet, of course) in for the first time. We did have cable and the kids watched one movie on TBS and we watched one on DVD (RV no less, I felt like I was watching home movies of myself).

I mounted the LCD in the same spot that Airstream mounts it and the Omnimount allows us to swing the TV around to face the master cabin after the kids have gone to bed. I have a VCR/DVD combo in the overhead next to the bulkhead between the dinette and the master cabin. This makes it convenient to the cable/antenna male fitting and the power port under this overhead and ac receptacle in the overhead.

I didn't know there was a device like you described B25 guy. I'll have to look for one before our Labor Day trip.

Brent, you're our resident expert, I'd like to hear your suggestions too. I'd expect they would be more permanent and maybe have fewer remotes to keep up with.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 03:51 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
The head unit is CD only; no DVD. I'm ashamed to admit this in a public forum mainly populated by other men
No reason to be ashamed...admitting you have a problem is the first step to recovery.. so try this.... there should be a button that says mode or input or something like this on the headunit (it's the same button you'd push to change inputs for AM/FM to CD to AUX if there is one available)

If you do have an AUX input you'll simply run RCA cables (red and white) from the DVD/ VCR combo ‘audio out’ to the aux input on the back of the headunit. When you play a dvd you will put your headunit on AUX and the sound will come out the speakers.

Hiding the wires shouldn't be that bad there are removable wood plates in the back of two overhead cabinets.

Take a look…. if you don't have an open input on the headunit you’re SOL.. so the solution will then be…. put a new DVD headunit on the xmas list and let an installer put it in and sell the old one on eBay.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."- Mark Twain

AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 04:31 PM   #83
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
MM, after consulting with others, the conclusion has pretty much been made that modern Airstreams are pre wired for the A/V packages, including cable to and from the TV mounting location to the rear of the stereo.

I would suggest reading a few entries on my thread titled "Mystery wires behind stereo".

Chances are very good that your trailer is wired up. Depending on the exact stereo, you might need to get an AUX adapter. If you Sony is like mine, I need an external box that I bought at Crutchfield. Can you get the model number off of the stereo? I can use that find out what your connection options are.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2006, 07:34 AM   #84
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia
MM, after consulting with others, the conclusion has pretty much been made that modern Airstreams are pre wired for the A/V packages, including cable to and from the TV mounting location to the rear of the stereo.

I would suggest reading a few entries on my thread titled "Mystery wires behind stereo".

Chances are very good that your trailer is wired up. Depending on the exact stereo, you might need to get an AUX adapter. If you Sony is like mine, I need an external box that I bought at Crutchfield. Can you get the model number off of the stereo? I can use that find out what your connection options are.
I'll take a look this evening or this week end. With all the rain we've had this week I have some serious grass cutting to do! and will have to work the grass mowing in when I can and investigations around that.

For some reason, the buttons haven't done anything when I press them. That's why I haven't been able to figure this one out. My only success with the CD player this week was using the remote...it has fewer buttons! Seriously, there has been no response to the controls except the FM search and it didn't find anything in the mountains this week end.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-14-2006, 09:12 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Location to mount TV bracket

I want to install a mounting bracket for an lcd tv in our new 2007 Safari-20ft. Can anyone tell me just how I can accomplish that--how to locate the studs for attaching the mount? Thanks. We brought our AS home today.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 12:48 PM   #86
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
There are no studs in the partition walls. They are single thickness of 1" hardwood plywood. I mounted our Omnimount to the wall between the bedroom and the salon so that the TV could be viewed from the living area or bedroom. Sorry I don't have photos handy. I'll try to remember to post later.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 10-16-2006, 02:18 PM   #87
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
No studs.
The factory took a metal plate put bolts in it and screwed it to the plywood referigerator wall.
Seems to work. See my "Honeymoon is over" thread. There is a picture of the mount.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 PM   #88
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
rio rico , Arizona
Omni mount

I got a Omnimount on Ebay for $24.95 + $7 S&H. That's about $100 less than Circuit City..on sale no less!!!! Will bolt it to an 8" square piece of aluminum, than screw that to the bulkhead with about 8-10 wood screws. Attached to the mount will be a Samsung 19" LCD. Also a couple 2" wide strap loops on the plate to ron a velcro strap thru for travel mode ala AS installation. The LCD was $449. So a total of less than $500 versus the $3000 the factory charges. Yes, I guess you get a CD, DVD player in the package, but those are pretty inexpensive by themselves. I plan to use my laptop as a DVD player. We'll see. I'd post pics, but the LCD arrives Thursday. The new Safari won't be here for another 3-4 weeks!!
Cheers, Jeff
claybags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2007, 10:04 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Photos of our Toshiba LCD TV w/DVD player mounted on a bracket with 2 screws added.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV .jpg
Views:	158
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	32511   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV Installation.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	32512  

Old 02-26-2007, 10:08 PM   #90
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Nice unit Janet. I buy nothing but Toshiba products now after having the house TV, house VCR/DVD and then trailer TV, VCR/DVD function exceptionally well for the last 4-8 years.

What size LCD TV is that? Model #?

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 09:40 AM   #91
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Hi Craig,
Here's a copy of a post I made right after we installed the TV in response to a question about the bulkhead size.
(Model# is 20HLV16S.)

Hi Teresa and Randy,
You are going to love your new Airstream!
From the top of the sofa the bulkhead is 30" wide, and from the top of the window it's 25" wide.
After much shopping around, we installed a Toshiba LCD 22"x16" w/a built-in DVD player. Nice and flat, and fits snugly to the bulkhead when strapped in. Keep in mind the bulkhead is probably 3/4" thick and there's a refrigerator right behind it. We used a wall bracket that came with two holes, and drilled a couple of extra ones for stability, but on hindsight that was probably over-doing it. We got a 2" wide strap with velcro attachments that I trimmed to fit. It's screwed to the bulkhead and carries most of the weight while in transit.
We positioned it so the top of the TV is about 1" higher than the top of the window.
Viewing from the galley is perfect, and very comfy. Have fun!
Janet
Old 03-07-2007, 09:35 AM   #92
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Has anyone tried this mount? It looks like a good deal.

Another question, on these type of mounts, are they made to move around and adjust tilt and such on the fly, or do they have be tightened down with an allen wrench once in position?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 10:17 AM   #93
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim

Another question, on these type of mounts, are they made to move around and adjust tilt and such on the fly, or do they have be tightened down with an allen wrench once in position?
This is very similar to the Omnimount that I used in my Airstream. You are correct in that it is made to adjust on the fly. In fact I had called the manufacturer and they said the Omnimount was not warranted for mobile use and mounting it in an RV would void the warranty. Oh well...no warranty on mine!

I have found that after strapping it to the wall with a bungee type strap, it is "loose" when we arrive at our destination and has to be tightened with an allen wrench or the weight of the TV will cause it to tilt down and, while still viewable, it won't be at the best angle.

Hope this helps.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 03-07-2007, 11:06 AM   #94
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
Cape Cod , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Safari Tim

Here is a pic of the mount that I decided on. One big reason was that you could easily remove it for travel, it sits nicely on the couch and doesn't budge at all and I don't have to worry about stress on the straps or them rubbing the lcd. This mount also allows you different numbers of extension bars. You can remove it from the mount in the front of the trailer and mount it on the bedroom mount in less that 2 minutes. I like being able to take the lcd off quickly and with no tools.

We routed the wires through the side of the microwave cabinet and up through the top of the cabinet. We added a storage center of top of the microwave for our chips/bread, etc. and this nicely hides the wiring for the lcd (cable, plug, invertor for boondocking).

Here is a link to it on Amazon. Amazon.com: SANUS SYSTEM VM3 VisionMount LCD Wall Mount: Electronics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Copy of flex tube.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	424.2 KB
ID:	33583   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	425.4 KB
ID:	33584  

Name:	Picture 013.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	33585  
WBCCI #9204, Region 1, 1st VP NEU
TAC #MA-4
M&M CAPECOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 05:55 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Valencia , California
The Sanus mounts are great. That's what I used in the bedroom.
millertime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:36 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seattle , Washington
For those who used the original mounts for the articulating arms, how did you secure to plywood bulkhead? With fridge on other side and only 3/4" in I'd be concerned that lever arm from extended monitor wold put too much strain on plywood. I'm thinking of trying to order the mount from airstream or building one myself but don't wat to go through the effort if it isn't needed.
jmd5602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:37 PM   #97
1 Rivet Member

2006 31' Classic
Seattle , Washington
btw, capecode, love the interior.
jmd5602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 01:53 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2005 28' Safari S/O
Paradise , California
I didn't bother to use a mount for my TV and DVD player. I use the poor man's method. I placed the DVD player on top of the AV cabinet with the TV on top of it. They are both secured with museum putty. I have towed the AS thousands of miles and it has never come loose. Museum putty is amazing stuff. If you want to remove it peels right up with no marks or residue.
Old 04-27-2008, 09:32 AM   #99
Rivet Master

1967 26' Overlander
Huntsville , Alabama
Articulated arm mounted to countertop

Up till now, we have been watching a 13" picture-tube TV/VCR combo. Normally, it sits on the cooktop cover beside a small DVD player. This ensemble would be moved to the dining table when we wanted to cook.

While constantly moving the stuff got old pretty quick, it took me until now to finally look for and find the LCD TV/DVD combo I wanted - A 15" Sylvania, model LD155SC8.

Mountsdirect.com sold me a small-TV articulating arm for, in my opinion, less money than the part is worth - the mount's construction is impressively beefy.

The TV mounting plan going in was to mount the arm to the rib running up the wall behind the cooktop. The rib's placement was such that the TV would articulate out of the cooktop's way. But after much finger stroking & gnashing of teeth, I decided that I was not going to be happy with the results from either an aesthetic or life-of-installation viewpoint.

I am much happier with Plan B - A steel bracket mounted to the countertop:

Not shown is how the TV will be tethered together to keep the arm from articulating while on the road. It will probably be a combination of elastic material and Velcro.

Once I get a short extension cord, the TV will be plugged into a non-galley outlet.

Tom
TomW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 07:26 PM   #100
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Johnson City , Texas
During the thread, the discussion moved to wall mounts. No one answered about mounting beneath the overhead credenza cabinet.
We have a Panasonic 24" LED TV, and it weighs 8 lbs. Is there an issue with the TV traveling with the screen facing down? We would "lock" the TV in place beneath the overhead cabinet.

73/gus

[QUOTE=flyfisher;132926]
We have the 2004 30' Classic model, with the front couch and the dinette, separated by the credenza.
I was wondering when I saw that bracket whether the TV could be mounted to hang from the bottom of the overhead cabinet that is immediately above the credenza.
Has anyone mounted their TV so it hangs beneath this overhead cabinet?
ProPride 3P/Prodigy P3
gklott is offline   Reply With Quote