Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2005, 09:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
LCD TV Mount

This is a follow-up to an earlier post that I cannot now find about ideas for installing a LCD TV mount.

I didn't want to drill holes in the metal drop-down tray that came with the trailer so I built an insert out of a 2'x2' piece of 1/2" birch covered plywood and a metal "L" bracket used to put up suspended ceiling panels. Total cost was $11 for parts from Lowes.

I removed the tray and cut the plywood 1/8" smaller than the opening which I think was 15 1/2" square. I then cut the "L" brackets with metal shears to size around the plywood and mounted it with wood screws into the side of the plywood. I pre-drilled the holes and used 4 screws per side. I then mounted the LCD TV Bracket to the center of the plywood using some pan head bolts with washers and nuts with lock washers.

I cut a scrap piece of plywood to double the thickness give a little more rigidity to the project. It is on the back side of the panel and the bolts holding the mount go through it.

I then set the panel in place and marked and pre-drilled pilot holes around the 4 sides. I was careful to not use the existing holes for the original tray.

I then screwed it in and finished connecting the TV.

I've attached some pictures.

The first picture is the original tray, removed.

The 2nd picture is the insert I made. I never claimed to be a carpenter!

The 3rd picture is the TV mounted. I tested it on some rough back-roads and it's held up well. The TV is a 17" TV/DVD combo so it's a little heavier than just a TV.

Works for me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00700.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	12066   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00695.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	12067  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00697.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	12068  
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 09:33 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Two TV's??

Do you now have two TV's in your AS? We use the TV AS mounted behind the dinette for both living room and bedroom viewing. It has a swivel mount, so you can reverse the screen. Also the TV remote works from both angles. It has worked well for us. If I had it to do over, I would have opted for a 17" (instead of 15") flat panel screen.
Also, the remotes for the DVD/CD player and radio work from the bedroom, so we can watch DVD movies in bed. Did you hide the wiring in the wall? I thought I could see some wires dangling from the TV, which would be a pain when walking past them.

Jim

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 03:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Nice Job! We looked at a 15" last night ($299) Can you get a good view of it where you sit? (can you post a pic??) I was thinking of mounitng it so one could slide it out to the entry way a ways to get a better view...
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Looks like a nice job, even with the wood. I bet you could cover or paint the wood black and nobody would ever know. Black plastic contact paper would probably make it looks just like the original shelf you removed.
Camp-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandvm
Do you now have two TV's in your AS? We use the TV AS mounted behind the dinette for both living room and bedroom viewing. It has a swivel mount, so you can reverse the screen. Also the TV remote works from both angles. It has worked well for us. If I had it to do over, I would have opted for a 17" (instead of 15") flat panel screen.
Also, the remotes for the DVD/CD player and radio work from the bedroom, so we can watch DVD movies in bed. Did you hide the wiring in the wall? I thought I could see some wires dangling from the TV, which would be a pain when walking past them.

Jim
Yes, we have 2 tv's. We have a 15" Sharp Aquos over the dinette. My original plan was to put the 17" there but it's a wide-screen and the cantilever mount arms are just not long enough to allow us to flip it and view from the bedroom.

I still need to clean up the wiring. I'm not going to attempt running it through the wall.

Our trailer didn't have a tv to begin with so they're not connected to the stereo system. I tried using an FM transmitter to play the sound through the stereo but the reception was not good enough.

Dennis
Old 05-10-2005, 12:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by balrgn
Nice Job! We looked at a 15" last night ($299) Can you get a good view of it where you sit? (can you post a pic??) I was thinking of mounitng it so one could slide it out to the entry way a ways to get a better view...
The TV over the dinette (not pictured) is on a cantilevered mount and can be turned for optimum viewing. The mount in the bedroom only allows up/down adjustment. But the picture is very good from anywhere on the bed .

Dennis
Old 05-10-2005, 12:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp-Dog
Looks like a nice job, even with the wood. I bet you could cover or paint the wood black and nobody would ever know. Black plastic contact paper would probably make it looks just like the original shelf you removed.
Thanks for the idea about contact paper. I hadn't thought of that. I did buy some rust-o-leum to paint the white trim flat black.

Dennis