Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
Burn all your movies to digital format buy yourself a playstation 3, add a second harddrive to it or get the one with 160 gig hard drive and you can connect that to your lcd tv via hdmi cable or video cables. Thats it! Your emtire video library in high def, plus you get a game system for your little ankle biters! PLUS... If you are near a wireless network, the game system supports VUDU, Netflix and others streaming to your tv. Thats it!
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 PM   #22
Addicted

1971 27' Overlander
Currently In: Skowhegan , ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield View Post
A great open source freeware program for managing eBooks of all formats is Calibre. You can convert formats, assign cover art, manage syncing, and lots of other things. You can also use it as a reader on your computer. It's also multi platform, OS X, Windows, and FauX. (What I call Linux—it's not really Unix, it's faux Unix, but that's another forum entirely )

I read eBooks on my iPhone. I have Nook, iBooks, Kindle, and Stanza apps. I have eBooks in all four apps in different formats. Each has strengths and weakness. The ability to use multiple apps for reading is one plus for a iPad or iPhone. However, like Terry pointed out, battery life is much shorter.
Ditto on calibre...Nicki and I both use it for managing all of our media NOT purchased through Amazon on our kindles -- works just like itunes does for your ipod.

Visit our crazy full-timing blog (us,kids and dogs living the dream): https://www.airstreamingdreaming.com/

Join us at the TAC Walt Disney World Rally, November 4th - 10th, 2012: https://www.theairstreamersclub.org/rallies/tac-fw-wdw
exthemius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:16 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
Lorain County , Ohio
Send a message via AIM to Airbiscuit Send a message via Yahoo to Airbiscuit Send a message via Skype™ to Airbiscuit
Quote:
Originally Posted by phrunes View Post
burn all your movies to digital format buy yourself a playstation 3, add a second harddrive to it or get the one with 160 gig hard drive and you can connect that to your lcd tv via hdmi cable or video cables. Thats it! Your emtire video library in high def, plus you get a game system for your little ankle biters! Plus... If you are near a wireless network, the game system supports vudu, netflix and others streaming to your tv. Thats it!
exactly!:d
Old 04-14-2011, 08:32 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Just tried the Calibre calibre - About downloaded a classic Jack London the Iron Heel in epub and converted it to mobi. However it does not have a cover picture only a title page, can I give it a cover or picture? I had to drag the file into MyKindle content, is that correct? I didn't read any directions yet but so far that worked.

EDIT: I see it was mentioned that art can be added so I will read the directions when I need to do that. Thanks Vaughn and Shawn.

photography
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 08:57 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Fort Worth , Texas
We're fulltimers, there are two adults (and 3 kids, more about that later.) We have a Macbook, a Dell laptop, 2 phones,my phone is an EVO which is a mobile hot spot. We sometimes pay extra for the campground internet ($30 a month where we are now) so that we can use the phone as a phone/pandora/email/surfing device if the other one is in online much. We have added bookshelves, books are a necessity, but the ability to check out books from the library with a nook or sony make them very interesting to me, as I CANNOT seem to remember to return real library books...some just get legs and walk away!
Considering adding a cell phone booster so we will always have access to the internet through my phone, as phone service does play a part in your internet connection. I know you didn't ask about internet exactly, but we don't have many movies with us, we watch through Netflix, and catch TV shows on their website or HULU. Internet is a huge factor and part of life on the road...at least it is for us!!
The kids play games on the weekend on either computer, via the EVO connection (which is free by using PDA.net, download app at JUNEFABRICS.com (or junefabric.com...I don't remember if it has an "s" at the end.) I've had friends who bought an android phone just for this free internet connection, they use it at their house, it is the only way they can GET high speed internet where they live. You have to pay the phone/data plan service bill of course.
Sam

www.steventothemax.com
steven2themax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 09:44 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested View Post
Just tried the Calibre calibre - About downloaded a classic Jack London the Iron Heel in epub and converted it to mobi. However it does not have a cover picture only a title page, can I give it a cover or picture? I had to drag the file into MyKindle content, is that correct? I didn't read any directions yet but so far that worked.

EDIT: I see it was mentioned that art can be added so I will read the directions when I need to do that. Thanks Vaughn and Shawn.
You can look up a cover picture online and copy it by right clicking on the image in your web browser. Then in Calibre, right click on the generic icon where you want the cover image and select "Paste Cover" I use the Stanza app on my iPhone for the stuff that I fool with in Calibre, so I then add it using iTunes. I am saving in epub and usually the cover art I've added comes with no problem. The Stanza app also has an excellent cover image search feature, so even after I add one using Calibre, I sometimes find one online on my iPhone that I like even better.

Sorry I can't help with your questions about mobi format, but it would seem like once you attach the cover to the file the metadata, which Calibre updates, should insure that the cover goes with it.

I also guess I should mention that I'm using the Mac version of Calibre. I assume that the Win version is very similar, the guy who told me about Calibre is a Windows die hard.

Keep us posted about what you discover using your Kindle.

BTW, one of the first novels I downloaded was The Sea Wolf. Looks like we're both London fans.

I get a lot of books from Project Gutenberg, and nothing there has any cover art.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:02 PM   #27
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
Thanks. I will try that. I love London, Steinbeck and Stevenson, and all their adventure and travel.

photography
Old 04-15-2011, 06:07 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Carol, I bought a DVD off Fleabay that has something like 15,000 copyright expired ebooks on it. I put that into the DVD drive on my home computer or laptop, connect up the Kindle to a USB port, and copy the books I want to read onto the Kindle. The DVD can stay home, and you can read until your eyes fall out.
I like the Kindle over the Nook, but that's just personal preference. My Sister-in-Law has a Nook, and I have to arm wrestle her to get my Kindle back when we visit...
Old 04-15-2011, 07:58 PM   #29
Rivet Master

Lapeer , Michigan
That DVD sounds like a great compilation and certain to keep you in reading material for a long long long time.

And Terry that is the strongest argument I have heard for the Kindle yet.

photography
Old 04-20-2011, 11:41 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' International CCD FB
Bay Area , California
Update: Amazon to let libraries lend Kindle books. Not a whole lot of details yet, but good news for Kindle owners and those on the fence.
KerriO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 07:03 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
The Apple TV can stream movies, videos and music from your IPad. You need to create a wireless network to do it but it's cool how AirTunes works.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote