Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-07-2020, 07:34 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Williamson County , Texas
Is subwoofer easy to remove?

By easy I mean is there any need to adjust or change a crossover that may route the low frequencies to the SW, or any consideration other than simply disconnecting the power and signal leads? We see no need and in fact would not want to have it active in any camping situation so the subwoofer is just wasted weight and space.

As a side note, we are 2 years new to RV camping, and one of my fears was that we would be plagued by folks playing "music" at the campgrounds. After 2 years and many months of RV camping I am very happy to report we did not have a single incident of loud or obtrusive amplified "music", closest was kids next door playing video games with a lot of explosions, but that was it.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:02 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
You do not need to do anything. The subwoofer is for low frequency only. I am more concerned about loose or unrully dogs running loose.

Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2020, 08:41 PM   #3
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Yes easy to remove / or disconnect power / or tune the cross over.

There is a dial on the side of the sw for cross over and boost. You can also yank the 12v wires out and tape up. You can also remove two screws and remove / free up the space.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 09:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoResults View Post
You do not need to do anything. The subwoofer is for low frequency only. I am more concerned about loose or unrully dogs running loose.

Dave
Only encountered a couple of dogs on the loose, and both friendly fortunately. Of course I am one who actually does not mind dogs happily greeting me within reason, I get that others are not great with dogs. Just wish all owners would be better at picking up the poop. I usually end up picking up three times what our dogs leave at the dog parks.

Converting our bed to a tilt up platform and ditching the Subwoofer. We play tunes in the TV pretty much continuously when on the road, but realized we have never actually even played the CD or AM/FM in the Airstream so definitely won't miss it.
Old 10-10-2020, 02:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 20' Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
Yes easy to remove / or disconnect power / or tune the cross over.

There is a dial on the side of the sw for cross over and boost. You can also yank the 12v wires out and tape up. You can also remove two screws and remove / free up the space.
So it did free up some space that is useful, but the weight saving is pretty minimal. I expected it to be heavier based on past experience with decent SubWoofers. Also converting platform to tilt up with gas struts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Under bed platform.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	267.6 KB
ID:	380462