Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-26-2010, 07:29 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Henderson , Nevada
Exclamation Is it the antenna or the TV?

This my first post on the forum. I need some guidance. I have 2006 25FB. I purchased the AS this summer and have been giving it some needed TLC. I need help with the TV antenna. There is a Winegard Sensar TV antenna with amplified signal. I checked the voltage to the antenna and it is good. I traced all cable and found it all in good order. The external run to the antenna is sun struck but other wise in good shape. I use both unboosted and the boosted signal option with equally bad results. I hooked up two different flat screen TVs to the antenna no picture or sound from any station. I connected a picture tube TV and got a few channels to come in. Of course when the AS is cabled to Comsat the flat screen TV is great. Why won’t the flat screen TV work with the antenna? Is it the TV or is there something going on with the antenna I need to repair?
utah bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
Chief Chili Cook

2010 30' Flying Cloud
Bakersfield , California
Welcome Utah Bob! The fancy flat screens usually need to be told they are connected to Cable or an Antenna. Look around in the menus to make sure you are set to Antenna and tell it to Scan for Channels...
newroswell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
There is also the remote possibility that the TV is analog. You might need a converter box for over the air broadcasts as they are now universally digital. Your Comsat translator does the conversion as a standard feature.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 07:57 PM   #4
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If the TV is digital, you won't get a snowy picture and scratchy sound like with an analog TV - it's all or nothing.

You don't say how far you are from the nearest broqadcast tower, but if you're more than 30 miles you might find a "Wingman" helps your reception.

I get much better reception using www.antennapoint.com and my iPhone compass. The "Wingman", whether it works or not, is a good direction pointer to use for aiming at the nearest broadcast power.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Hey Utah Bob, Looks like we got the same trailer and configuration. I've posted a lot of info on what I've learned on the Safari forum and then 2006 SE threads. Just tracked all this down yesterday installing a new HD unit.
Apple TV and Vizio:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...tml#post910864

First do you have the Sony Wega TV 15" Grey and square? If so you're hosed on the antenna issue becaude that TV doesn't have a DIGITAL tuner in it, only analog. Therefore since the TV broadcasters aren't broadcasting analog anymore then you will never get TV off that set without a "converter box". Not worth the money. Bought a Vizio 23" HD TV for $200. Here is the thread link on what I went through to replace the Sony:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f335...i-70483-2.html

Good luck.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:48 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Henderson , Nevada
Okay new day, 6 to 7 inches of snow in the Salt Lake area overnight - winter humbug!, down hill skiing soon to begin - winter fun! Thanks all for the help. I fiddled with the menu of the flat screen and found the source option changed from cable to something else and got several stations to come in with the antenna. Thanks for all the suggestions! Still not a great picture but now I know the antenna works fine. Now on to a solar panel installation and conversion to LED lights.
utah bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Please post your progress on that on the Safari forum, will be doing the same later on.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote