Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2006, 06:43 AM   #61
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We were in Helen,GA and wanting to go to Asheville, NC. My son who has travelled in this area before suggested that we drive south to Gainesville pick up the interstate and then drive North. I being the older more learned father found a road on our computer which was "straight" from Helen to Asheville. I, the older, learned, experienced, father decided this was the route we would take. Folks, I am here to tell you this road was nothing near to straight. One 30 mile stretch took over three hours to drive. We made it to Asheville and my arms are now 6" longer than they were before we stated driving that road.
Now, you ask me what does this have to do with a TV/DVD/ etc. I was just getting to that. Somewhere in GA,TN, or NC we were bending and turning in ways that Chummy was never supposed to bend and we heard this loud crash. My wife looked back and saw the TV laying in the aisle, on the floor. Well that's not were we usually kept it. After cresting several more mountains we were able to pull over and inspect the damage. The TV appeared OK but the shelf looked mighty nice empty. We decided right there next to that road on top of that mountain that we really did not watch much TV and would be better off without it. Now we have this wonderful large shelf for books and we never have to worry about the darn thing falling off again. See I told you I was the more learned, of the two. If we had not travelled this road we would still be lugging that TV around.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:37 AM   #62

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Kent

I tend to agree with you about not having much use for a TV in the Airstream. We often leave the TV at home but occasionally it's very nice to have. On those vacations when we do have it it's also nice to have it hidden away when not in use.

here it is in action...
Torii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:51 AM   #63
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thumbs up

Excellent arrangement! I would like to be able to conceal my flat screen In such a way as you did, but the way it's set up now allows viewing from both ends of the trailer. OK, it's only 19 ft long.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:09 AM   #64
Van
4 Rivet Member

1977 23' Safari
Hillsboro , Oregon
Very nice T Man.

After using the laptop for a couple of seasons in the Argosy, i have decided it isnt the best option, at least for me. Just too much extra stuff to drag along. Plus it cost me $2.3k new and i am always worried about it if i am not near the trailer.

Since we just aquired the Safari and have a larger, more dedicated sleeping area i am going to go with something like this...

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Magna...oductDetail.do

Something more permanant that doesnt require me unpacking it in the eves to watch something and then stuffing it all back into the backpack when done. A permanant wall mounted TV/DVD combo is the way to go im thinking. I think the only thing i am going to be concerned about is if somehow it became dislodged from the wall mount in transit.
former '77 23' Safari owner
former 25' Fun Finder X-250BHS SOB owner
current 26' Komfort Trailblazer 262BSLE SOB owner
Van is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 10:17 AM   #65

1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by Van
I think the only thing i am going to be concerned about is if somehow it became dislodged from the wall mount in transit.
I would look for a mount that features some sort of quick release system so that when you are under way the TV won't be subjected to all the bumps in the road. You also won't have to worry about it getting dislodged... I put mine face down on a mattress and secure it.

The key to this is "quick release" so it doesn't take alot of effort or tools to remove / replace the LCD from the wall. I'm not even sure they make a wall mount that fits this criteria but maybe someone else here does...

-T
Old 06-16-2006, 01:44 PM   #66
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
20" Aquos LCD for us

We have a 20" Aquos LCD in our AS. I just purchased a Bose Acoustimass 10 surround sound system, which I'm hooking up to a Denon AVR.

Heck...I figure everyone wants to know about our AS as soon as we enter the Texas State Parks, so now we'll really give them something to talk about.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:07 PM   #67
Patriotic

1973 23' Safari
North of Boston , Massachusetts
T-man: very cool setup. can you tell us more about the mount? that leg...is it something that you had to fabricate?
can the tv be swung around to face the bedroom area?

I have (had) the same cabinet/fridge arrangement in my trailer, but I removed the tambour door to make room on the counter top for a small microwave. Its also a narrower cabinet...just as wide as the fridge. (one of the things you lose between a 23' and a 25' trailer of that era). But they make smaller lcd tv's....If I could only convice the wife to dispense w/ the micro...(yah. fat chance! )
'00 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 QC
Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 02:39 PM   #68

1975 25' Tradewind
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck
T-man: very cool setup. can you tell us more about the mount? that leg...is it something that you had to fabricate?
can the tv be swung around to face the bedroom area?

I have (had) the same cabinet/fridge arrangement in my trailer, but I removed the tambour door to make room on the counter top for a small microwave. Its also a narrower cabinet...just as wide as the fridge. (one of the things you lose between a 23' and a 25' trailer of that era). But they make smaller lcd tv's....If I could only convice the wife to dispense w/ the micro...(yah. fat chance! )
Chuck,

I had the mount fabricated from aluminum by a local welder. It is a very solid setup and supports the weight of my 23" LCD with no problem.

The articulating arm was purchased a a local electronics store.

It does not have quite enough reach to allow viewing from the bedroom but it does feature a quick release which would allow me to easily move it to another mount back there if I wanted to.

A smaller and lighter LCD may actually allow you to use a longer arm and permit bedroom viewing...

My girlfriend loves it because the TV is out of site when I'm not watching it.

-T
Old 07-05-2006, 06:14 PM   #69
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Altoona , Florida
Computers Are A Priority For Me. See Posting "will A Laptop Do It All" I Just Purchased A Dell With A Tv Tuner And A Wireless System.

It Is Important To Me Cause I Do A Lot Of Stuff On The Computer Such As Bill Pay - Banking - Insurance - Ebay - Shoping - Communicating -

I Think It Depends A Lot On How You Use Your Rig. I Go For 2-3 Months At A Time
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 09:56 AM   #70
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
spokane , Washington
inverter hum

Our Wolfer has a Hummmmmmm!
The airstream entertainment system in our 06 25' International has a 19 inch sony LCD (18VDC) which is factory wired with its converter behind wall it shares with fridge, to adjacent wall plug to run off 110V. The sony entertainment system, DVD,radio, etc runs directly off 12V system. We wanted to enjoy a segment or two of '24' (we are NOT addicted) while boondocking so I needed a solution to power the TV(rated 90W) so I thought simplest solution was a 150 Watt SAmlex pure sine wave inverter which powers TV just fine. The problem is a robust backfeed HUMMMMMM that is coming out the subwolfer of entertainment system. The inverter is grounded to the frame. This inverter is rated at 3% harmonic distortion. Found other manufacturer inverters (40-50% more costly) have ratings of about 1 to 1.5% distortion. An installer has told me this is my problem, i.e.too much harmonic distortion. The manufacturer says I could solve the problem by moving up to a 600 Watt inverter(also rated at 3%). Either of these suggestions may or may not work. Has anyone had experience with this problem? Any electronics whizes out there who know if a filter could solve this?
Hmmmm?
Bob
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #71
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Bob, does yhe TV have a grounding plug on it? If so, try a cheater three pin to pin plug and don't hook up the ground. What you are describing sounds like a ground loop problem.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2007, 09:17 AM   #72
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
spokane , Washington
feedback hum

Thanks for your post. The TV does not have grounding plug. Maybe I will just have to disconnect the woofer when drycamping. A technician suggested wiring the inverter directly off batteries. I have asked three auto/rv audio shops about this and interestingly, no one has heard of the problem even though they do say the majority of RV's do have an inverter set up for their TV's/VCR's/DVD players. Appreciate your thoughts.
bobf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:13 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited S/O
Greensboro , North Carolina
Adding TV tuner to laptop

I was reading some older posts regarding optioins for TV,DVD,PC Monitors etc.
I will have my Dell laptop with DVD built in when we travel as I will work some remotely. How do I add the TV tuner to my laptop?
WBCCI #4358
tslanier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2007, 07:44 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited
The State of , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tslanier
I was reading some older posts regarding optioins for TV,DVD,PC Monitors etc.
I will have my Dell laptop with DVD built in when we travel as I will work some remotely. How do I add the TV tuner to my laptop?
You plug one end of this into your laptop, the other to a TV cable connected to your Airstream's TV antenna, and install the software. Instant digital TV. Our Dell notebook has a 15.4" 1920 x 1200 resolution screen and was absolutely eye-watering on 1080i (or even 720p) stations with a USB HDTV tuner... until a lightning strike near? the antenna took it out (without hurting the notebook because it was in a powered USB hub, not directly into the notebook). You can typically change channels, pause, rewind, or record with most software (not sure about that included with this product). I used "BeyondTV4 for ours.

El Gato sells one identical to this for Macs, with their EyeTV software. I'm going to get the El Gato for the Macs, and see if it will work with the Hauppauge 950 drivers on the Dell. Someone on the AVSforum is using a Hauppauge with El Gato software on a Mac.

[edit] I guess I should add watching live HDTV takes a decently fast hard drive (ours is 7200 rpm) and processor (ours is a 2.0GHz Pentium M and about the minimum... a dual-core would be better). When watching live HDTV, it's written straight to the disk without decoding (for pause/rewind, etc), but for playback has to read it back off the disk and decode it, which can be processor intensive. So the disk can be pretty busy reading and writing at the same time. No way around that I'm aware of. Recording off the air and playing back later is a little easier on the notebook.