Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2005, 08:53 AM   #41
2 Rivet Member

I'm in favor of laptops because one unit solves many needs. You can get a 15.4" wide screen laptop in the $900-$1500 range. It will do all of the forementioned functions plus you can also purchase navigation software including a GPS unit for about $150 and use it in your TV to find your way to campgrounds, restaurants and gas.

"If the women don’t find you handsome, they better find you handy.” Red Green.
TheLuvShack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 07:42 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
I suggest using a laptop computer with a DVD drive - computer, DVD player, and screen all in one unit. 12V adaptors are readily available for laptops. You can add a TV receiver using a PCMCIA card or USB device.

Skip the VHS - the machines and tapes are too bulky.
How does that PCMCIA card or USB device work? I like the idea of a Laptop PC for watching TV in an AS
CanDaMinium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2005, 07:43 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
USB Device Function

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanDaMinium
How does that PCMCIA card or USB device work? I like the idea of a Laptop PC for watching TV in an AS
The USB device I use with the Elgato EyeTV simply plugs into an open USB port. The Elgato is a small white box that has a BNC Cable connector that hooks to your cable input or antenna input. The box itself is powered from your laptop.

There are many media devices for Windows systems as well that are USB or Firewire connected, and they work in the same fashion.

Rich
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 02:07 AM   #44
1 Rivet Member

with a laptop your still missing out on tv and console gaming.. is there a way to get it all?
Bobolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:18 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
We use a Toshiba 9" Color TV/DVD Combo in our 22' CCD. We place it on the desk and plug it into the AC or DC plugs below the desk. It works great for us while "Boondocking".
Last summer, with electric hookups at the campsite, I made the mistake of letting the kids take their Playstation 2 for the TV. Needless to say, I couldn't get them out of the trailer!
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 04:59 AM   #46
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBMcG
We went with Sharp Aquos LCD flat screen TV that mounts on wall facing couch alongside refrigerator in our Excella 25.. Had a 13" Combo TV/VCR that took up too much room, required 110V, and tapes are hard to find these days anyway.. (We didn't have to solve problem of satellite or second setup in bedroom...) Prior Owner had upgraded basic stereo unit to Sony Auto-style AM/FM/CD Music player...

John McG
I have the factory Aquos in my 22 CCD. A while back I was doing some online research after finding that the Aquos is 12V native and found a company that did provide a 12V hookup for the Aquos. Darn, the name slips my mind because the inverter I use was only $30 and their cost was around $100 for the 12V power setup. You had to send them your 110V adapter and they installed a passthrough switch of some sort. You might do some checking around if you are interested in seeking this out.

Good luck and best regards,
67caravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 06:02 AM   #47
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
We've been on the hunt while waiting for the new Bambino to come in. We're $5.50 Walmart DVD movie junkies and can't pass a Walmart without delving through the $5.50 bin. Decided we needed (and could fit) a 17" Flat LCD HDTV ready 16:9 Widescreen along with a nice DVD player. I'm down to two choices.

Phillips 17PF9946 17" Flat Panel LCD HDTV ready 16:9 Widescreen with an HDMI input and a Toshiba SD-5970 DVD player with an HDMI output that can upconvert a DVD to 720p or 1080i. Online prices, no tax and with shipping ... $ 677.00 for TV and $ 122.00 for DVD, $ 799.00 total.

or

Toshiba SD-P7000 Combination 17" Flat Panel LCD HDTV ready 16:9 Widescreen with an integrated Progressive Scan DVD player that has no connection cables and sends an MPEG encoded digital DVD signal direct to the LCD flat panel. Online price, no tax and with shipping ... $ 709.00

Either way we'll save $ 1,000.00 over the $ 1700.00 Airstream wanted for their $ 2,600.00 list price Entertainment upgrade. Picked up a Yamaha generator during the hurricanes for power. Don't even want to look at a computer screen or touch a keyboard while camping after pounding out RPG code all day at work.

I do kind of like the combination unit also for the simpler connection and single remote idea. But, on the other hand, having the HDMI connection sets me up for the waves of the future, all HDTV broadcasts and the new HD DVD's.

What to do?
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:03 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
[QUOTE=Toshiba SD-P7000 Combination 17" Flat Panel LCD HDTV ready 16:9 Widescreen [/QUOTE]

We got one of these for the A/S.

Just keep in mind that they are over 20" wide when you go to mount it.

I was hoping to use it on the cantilever omni-mount (same as factory).

I was hoping to be able to view it from the couch in the front of the trailer, or rotate it on the mount and view it from the bed in the back of the trailer.

It's too wide to accomodate both views without it sticking out into the hallway all of the time.

Now, the plan is to go with a Sharp 15" lcd tv for the A/S.

I'm not sure what we'll do for playing dvd's yet. Probably just get a cheap player at wal-mart and plug it in when we want to watch a movie.

I'm using the Toshiba as a pc monitor and the wide-screen works really nice.

I will most likely get a different mount and use it in the bedroom.
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 12:34 PM   #49
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
West Palm Beach , Florida
cosmotini ... I was aware of the over 20" width. The area above the refrigerator on the Bambi where the TV is usually mounted is only about 18" deep. I am hoping to get one of those VESA compliant, triple articulating arm mounts which I can bolt through the bulkhead. We would then angle the unit a little sideways when not in use to keep it out of the walk way. With the triple articulating arm, we are hoping we can move it out and turn it around for viewing from the bed or only pull it a little way out for viewing from the sofa.

How was the picture when you tried the DVD player? Build quality. I can't find any reviews of this unit on the internet.
2005 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD QuadCab SRW Long Bed
Sir Wooferman Wellington, Cock-a-poo Watch Pup
DreamStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 03:51 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
The picture is very good. Widescreen is nice. Even when viewing from a side angle.

The sound leaves something to be desired but works pretty well considering the size of the speakers. I have a small stereo fm transmitter from c.crane that i was considering using to play it through the A/S radio.
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 12:29 AM   #51
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamStream
cosmotini ... I was aware of the over 20" width. The area above the refrigerator on the Bambi where the TV is usually mounted is only about 18" deep. I am hoping to get one of those VESA compliant, triple articulating arm mounts which I can bolt through the bulkhead.
Please post a pic of your set up if you decide on this unit, and how you like this in the Bambi. We're still pondering the laptop for TV/DVD vs the LCD/DVD combo unit ...are there specs on how far the arm mount will extend? This Toshiba unit sounds like a great choice if it will fit & nice that you only need one remote.

The negative for us using laptop is if hubby and son go fishing they would have MY laptop...and that would be SCARY FOR ME as they have trouble using our home remote I programed!

OK, now I get to sound dumb but what/where is the "bulkhead" that you would bolt the mount to?
Rhodie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 05:11 AM   #52
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobolo
with a laptop your still missing out on tv and console gaming.. is there a way to get it all?
My PS2 has USB ports on it for the computer, supposedly you can hook it up, and play it. I have never tried it, as I try to leave a few things at home when camping, we ARE, after all, supposed to roughing it a little while we are out. X-box is made by Microsoft, so it should be computer-compatible too.
I have seen a TV tuner for a PC, I am not sure exactly how it works, but it must. If it works for a PC, I see no reason for it not to work on a laptop. Mac users may have to get a little creative.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:19 AM   #53
3 Rivet Member

Send a message via MSN to gotair Send a message via Yahoo to gotair
Quote:
Originally Posted by rseagle
We use a Toshiba 9" Color TV/DVD Combo in our 22' CCD. We place it on the desk and plug it into the AC or DC plugs below the desk. It works great for us while "Boondocking".
Last summer, with electric hookups at the campsite, I made the mistake of letting the kids take their Playstation 2 for the TV. Needless to say, I couldn't get them out of the trailer!
YEP... we let ours pick out a couple of kids movies and a couple of family movies and then we have ( movie time after dinner ) the game was a bad idea ..... instead we go fishing or rock exploring or walking ... last summer we had a saturday night movie night outside the trailer with extention cord and some other children from other sites sorta showed up... this was a fun thing....met some nice people ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	audiovox installed nice and clean.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	10798  
Old 05-29-2005, 07:55 PM   #54
3 Rivet Member

Been meaning to post pics of our TV, we found this LCD/TV/DVD Combo and it has solved a lot of space issues as it folds up like a laptop for travel and is fully adjustable for viewing at any angle. Works off dc as well as we stay at our local beach sites here in winter and the better sites have no hook-ups. There's many choices but portability won out as this is as easy to pack around as a laptop. It was also on sale at J&R Music World for $547.00, from the $1000.00 retail price last year
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	12512   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV4.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	12513  

Old 05-29-2005, 08:58 PM   #55
3 Rivet Member

Here's a few more pics which show different angle options.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	TV2edit.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	12516   Click image for larger version

Name:	TV3edit.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	66.5 KB
ID:	12517  

Old 05-31-2005, 04:17 PM   #56
Rivet Master

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
Tujunga , California
what brand/ model # is it?
str8strm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #57

Awesome thread. Can anyone tell me how to convert the DVD's into .AVI files? And has anyone used an ipod to store movies?

Thank you!
rjohnston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2005, 12:30 AM   #58
3 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by str8strm
what brand/ model # is it?
Sorry for late reply, just saw this today and can't believe I omitted this info when I posted this This is a Toshiba SD-P5000 Portable 15" LCD TV / Progressive Scan DVD Combo and is still available when I Googled it just now, so well worth checking out if interested. We love it and the picture is crisp and clean. There is also a battery accessory available if there's a need for more portability.

Barb
Old 08-30-2005, 02:15 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Here's a pic of my setup

I have a SANYO 15" using a VESA Mount. http://www.airforums.com/photo...p?i=9746&c=504

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 11:55 PM   #60

1975 25' Tradewind
Huntington Beach , California
Perfect Solution...

In my 1975 Tradewind there is a peculiar cabinet above the fridge that seems to be intended for drying dish towels. It also seems like the perfect place to hide a LCD panel so I removed the towel rack inside of it and proeeded to come up with a mounting solution that would allow me to mount my new 23" Samsung HD LCD on a swing arm. I can now hide the set when I am not using it behind the tambour door. It also features a quick release so that when towing I can easily stow the LCD elsewhere and when I am not using the Airstream the LCD gets used inside my home.

Torii is offline   Reply With Quote