RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 10-20-2020, 12:30 PM   #1
OnTheRoad

2015 30' International
Strasburg , Colorado
Installing a satellite antenna on top of coach

I recently purchased a dish receiver for our coach and would like in install the dome antenna on the top of our rig. A couple of questions come to mind like where on top do I place the antenna and how do I run the cable from the antenna to the tuner without have the cable exposed inside the coach. Is this installation something that one should attempt or have the installation done by a technician?
Old 10-20-2020, 01:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
Do not do it! You will limit your options. Ever park underneath a tree? No satellite reception.

We opted for the long 50 ft. cable that comes with the unit. Ours is a Dish play maker. You need to find three satellites in the sky to connect with all the channels. 110, 119, 129. Depending on where you are camping in the US, this can be a challenge. If you're in the eastern part of the United States, the satellites are very low to the west. As you go further West, they get higher.

You will sometimes be looking basically at the horizon and need to move the dish to accommodate your surroundings. We opted for the three-legged tripod to get it off the ground and seldom ever have a spot that clears the trees without moving the tripod. There is an app you can get for your phone that is very good at producing AR and placing it on images of your surroundings. Download "Satfinder lite" (it's the free version) and go outside and look for the satellites I've mentioned. You will see what I mean.

Also, for your satellite to work best, you have to point the handle north. Are you going to be able to park your rig in the appropriate direction every time???
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:08 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2000 25' Safari
Denver , North Carolina
What he said
mbubbaca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 01:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 30' Classic
Canfield , Ohio
By way, your satellite cable will plug into you outside cable/sat port. You will have to find the sat cable inside so you can plug it into your dish receiver. Airstream may have "hid" it from you, so keep looking in your entertainment cabinet for the cable marked "SAT".
turk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 01:28 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
[QUOTE=turk123;2423901]Do not do it! You will limit your options. Ever park underneath a tree? No satellite reception./QUOTE]

I had a satellite dish installed on my 25' Safari, and was sorry for the above reason. In addition, the location where the cables entered the roof was a source of water leaks. Headaches you don't need.

On the 30' FC I opted for a carry out with 50' coaxial cables. Connected to coaxial input ports for front and rear TV inputs. Far less limiting on trailer site location in order to get a signal. However, depending upon what service you subscribe to you may not receive High Definition satellite channels with the carry out dish. We do not miss them. We can get the missing channels via internet TV.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:08 PM   #6
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
Ever have any problems with vandilism/ theft?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turk123 View Post
Do not do it! You will limit your options. Ever park underneath a tree? No satellite reception.

We opted for the long 50 ft. cable that comes with the unit. Ours is a Dish play maker. You need to find three satellites in the sky to connect with all the channels. 110, 119, 129. Depending on where you are camping in the US, this can be a challenge. If you're in the eastern part of the United States, the satellites are very low to the west. As you go further West, they get higher.

You will sometimes be looking basically at the horizon and need to move the dish to accommodate your surroundings. We opted for the three-legged tripod to get it off the ground and seldom ever have a spot that clears the trees without moving the tripod. There is an app you can get for your phone that is very good at producing AR and placing it on images of your surroundings. Download "Satfinder lite" (it's the free version) and go outside and look for the satellites I've mentioned. You will see what I mean.

Also, for your satellite to work best, you have to point the handle north. Are you going to be able to park your rig in the appropriate direction every time???
wts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 02:13 PM   #7
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
vandalism....
Old 10-21-2020, 04:40 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2017 30' Flying Cloud
Highland , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wts View Post
vandalism....
I never have had anyone, or thing mess with my carryout in 3 years. However I do have a cable lock for the carryout in the event I have to stay in a sketchy area overnight. The dish is useless without the power inserter. But someone dumb enough to steal the carryout wouldn't know that. So.....use a cable with a lock and secure it to something that won't move if that makes you more comfortable. It won't prevent the theft, but will slow them down.

You could, hate to mention it, even place it on top of the AS so someone would have to use a ladder to reach it, assuming you could get a signal from that location.

Pick the alternative that minimizes the set up hassles and worries that works best for you. When I had the dish on top of my rig I had to connect the rig to power then turn on the electronics, get a signal before disconnecting the tow vehicle. Because if I didn't get a signal I had to move the whole rig until I did. It was a pain.
zapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 05:15 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Excellent advice here. A fixed antenna location on your rig really limits its utility, especially as many campgrounds try to provide some shade from trees. A carry-out with 50’ of cable (I have a Winegard Tailgator) will let you find that satellite(s) far easier than trying to jockey your rig around (or swap sites entirely).

I use an app called Dish Align and I have seldom been defeated trying to find a break in the tree canopy to get a signal.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 09:42 PM   #10
wts
WTS

2021 Atlas
Winter Park , Florida
The insights on this forum never cease to amaze me. Thank you!