Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-23-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
chalk hill , Pennsylvania
Installed 24" LED TV...

in the 03 Classic on the wall in front of the microwave. It's an RCA ultraslim supported by the $15 articulating bracket from Amazon (videosecu) with a block of wood in the microwave compartment. It's very solid and fits nicely. The factory TV's have a strap around them . What's the strap attached to? Wondering if I need something like that.
Now if I could just get a couple of stations! Anyone know if the stock antenna in 03 was the latest from Winegard? Maybe I could upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	air 001.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	166600  
Getahobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:52 PM   #2
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The installation look nice.

As for the antenna, I believe there is a switch on the wall plate where you connect the TV to the antenna, and unless it's on, there's no connection to the antenna.

have you tried that?
Old 08-23-2012, 08:21 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Tried it on and get 1 station coming in and out. Nothing when off. I'm going to clean the connection at the antenna to see if it helps.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"What's the strap attached to? Wondering if I need something like that."

The strap on mine (factory installed) was attached to a backing plate between the articulating arm and the monitor. It fastens and tightens by Velcro. I'd strongly recommend one, or something similar. There's a whole lot of bouncing and vibrating going on while in transit. I have to frequently check and tighten the screws that hold the monitor to the arm.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"... As for the antenna, I believe there is a switch on the wall plate where you connect the TV to the antenna, and unless it's on, there's no connection to the antenna."

If it's like mine, a green LED light glows when the antenna signal amplifier is switched on. My 2005 was also wired for cable/satellite, and has an additional plate nearby with two F-type connectors with a short jumper cable. If I recall, the jumper may also have to be in the proper position. It's been a long time since I have set it up, so my memory is a bit rusty. If you have an owners manual, it should explain the configuration.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1999 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
The antenna is also directional - Now here comes the stupid question - but do you have the antenna fully raised and pointed toward where the nearest transmission tower?

If you have the amplifier turned on and are getting one channel, it makes me think that the antenna may not be aimed toward a local transmission tower.

I get zero channels with the amplifier off, and about 50 with it on here in Palo Alto.
ddruker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
The jumper Silver Ranger referred to is in the cable coming from the outside connector. It must be in place AND the amplifier switch must be OFF if connected to the campground's supplied cable service. if using a satellite receiver, the in/out of the satellite receiver replaces the jumper, again the amplifier switch is off.

Now for tv reception... Unless you are in a strong signal area, the antenna should be up and pointed in the direction of the transmitter. The amplifier switch must be ON. The green, or maybe red light next to the switch only indicates the switch is on and 12v is available to the amplifier. On late model Winegard Sensar antennas, the amplifier is actually located in the white plastic housing on the antenna itself. A bad coax connection at the antenna or any connector on the back of the switch or to the antenna terminal on the tv can be a problem. suspect the one on the roof as it is exposed to the elements, but more often the problem can be a simple menu setting on the newer tv sets. if you get at least 1 channel, your connections are probably ok, but make sure they are clean and tight.

Analog vs. Digital... In most locations, the tv signal is now broadcast in digital format. Any antenna capable of receiving UHF broadcasts is all that is needed. The common Winegard Sensar is perfectly adequate. The menu on the tv must be set to antenna, not cable and digital, not analog and a channel scan needs to be run on most tvs before reception is possible. Here's the big gotcha: in some locations, it is necessary to point the antenna towards the station(s) before running the scan. I've been at locations where if the antenna was off as few as 3 detents from dead on, it would not find any stations during the scan. Other locations have been more forgiving. Look at where your neighbors have pointed their antennas and set yours the same and you at least stand a fighting chance. If the channel freezes and pixelates, try turning the antenna a detent or 2 one way and then the other to see if that is better. Some TVs have a menu option to display a signal strength meter to assist in centering the antenna. The old analog tv signals degraded gracefully, there might be a ghost or snow, but you could often improve the signal by turning the antenna. Digital either works, or doesn't. If right at the edge, you will experience freezing and pixelation. If pointed the wrong way, or too far from the transmitter, you may find nothing.

In some rural areas, repeaters and small stations are still broadcasting in analog. In that case, the tv needs to be switched to analog mode. As above, antenna not cable must be selected and the amplifier switch must be ON.

If this seems frustrating, welcome to the club. We camp monthly with a local GS chapter and I have several fellow members who have trouble every month, so I make the rounds helping them get set up so they can watch their TVs.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:09 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Silver Goose has explained all that you need to know. With my old TV I had to do a station scan for my converter box. My new digital TV also needs to be scanned. Ironically, with my new TV, I don't even have to raise my antenna and get great reception.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
I'm at home, about 60 miles from the nearest TV towers in Pittsburgh, so perhaps I'm out of range for the digital signal without using a larger antenna.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:38 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Velcro straps... On mine, the factory had installed 4 brackets securely to the wall behind the tv that the ends of the 2 Velcro belts are attached to. They look like small metal drawer pull handles that are purpose made for this application. Each belt loops over the top of the tv, down across the front then up the rear to the bottom bracket where it loops back on itself and the velcro surfaces mate in front of the tv. Someone recently posted a pic of what happened to the wall and tv when it wasn't secured for travel. It definitely wasn't a pretty sight.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:53 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getahobby
I'm at home, about 60 miles from the nearest TV towers in Pittsburgh, so perhaps I'm out of range for the digital signal without using a larger antenna.
You may be out of range... Try this link: http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?opti...pper&Itemid=29

Plug in your zipcode and click on Find Local Channels. Scroll down to the list. Stations in green and possibly yellow are those you should be able to receive. The chart also shows the compass headings from your location to the various transmitters.

Using Chalk Hill, PA, it looks like your best bet is PBS channel 36.1. 5.1, 8.1 and 35.1 are other possibilities, but you will have to reposition your antenna towards them. I believe 23 and 33 might be analog channels you can get if you switch the tv to analog mode.