Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-21-2008, 03:56 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB International
Evanston , Illinois
Inside/Outside Speaker Question - 2008 Bambi 10" Ocean Breeze

Greetings,

Our Bambi came with a Sony AM/FM Radio/CD/DVD Player hooked up with a Sony TV & a Sony 10 disk CD Player. The 10 disk player is mounted in the upper forward cabinet above the dinette. Also there are two panels mounted in the curbside wall of the cabinet. One contains a rotary "Speaker Select Switch". The settings are "In", "Out" and "Both". When the switch is in the "In" position, the forward and aft speakers inside the trailer are active. When the switch is in the "Out" position, there is no sound output either inside or outside the trailer.

I am guessing the "Out" position is provided to support a pair of speakers mounted outside the trailer. I am also guessing that when the switch is placed in the "Both" position, both inside and outside speakers will be active. My questions are as follows:

1.) Are the assumptions above correct?

2.) If so, I'm guessing there is some level of pre-wiring for outside speakers. If this correct, where can I gain access to the wires?

3.) Finally, if all of the above is correct, I'm assuming Airstream may have had a route in mind for extending the speaker wires to the outside of the trailer for connection to speakers. If this is correct, does anyone know the route?

4.) If no route was pre-planned, does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 06-21-2008, 04:02 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic S/O
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Eddy , Texas
We have a 30' Classic which has the same radio set up. There is a plug on the door side of the trailer (down low) which looks like a four plug trailer connection. This is the plug for the outside or "out' speakers. We had to supply our own speakers. I used a 'test' speaker to figure out the hot and ground wires for the speakers. I got a four pole wiring harness from Walmart and used that to connect the speakers.
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 04:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I bought a Advent Wireless speaker from a guy who got it new from AS for $270. It was new and I paid $150 for it. Thought I had a good deal until I saw the same one sell on ebay for $30. Anyway, it consists of a transmitter that hooks into your audio source that the speaker picks up on. The transmitter can also run on 12v but Advent does not tell you that. The transmitter is set up to run on 120. The speaker is set up to run on 120 or 8 D cells. . The frequencies on both the transmitter and speaker have to be tuned in which is a little tricky. The speaker is supposed to work up to 150' away from the transmitter. You can use the speaker as a mono speaker or have 2 set up for stereo. What makes this an official Airstream speaker is you are given an envelope with the AIRSTREAM letters to stick on it.
Old 06-21-2008, 04:17 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimS View Post
We have a 30' Classic which has the same radio set up. There is a plug on the door side of the trailer (down low) which looks like a four plug trailer connection. This is the plug for the outside or "out' speakers. We had to supply our own speakers. I used a 'test' speaker to figure out the hot and ground wires for the speakers. I got a four pole wiring harness from Walmart and used that to connect the speakers.
Hi Jim,
Thanks for the answer. I just went outside, inspected and couldn't find it. Can you be more explicit. For example, is it mounted on the vertical side wall of the trailer or on the horizontal underbelly? Also, is it fore or aft of the door?

Thanks,

Jerry
Old 06-21-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2005 30' Classic S/O
2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Eddy , Texas
My outside speaker connection is just in front of the wheel well, on the door side of the trailer. It has a round plastic cover, but, when you open the cover, there is the four way, flat trailer connection inside. I don't know if they were all wired this way or not. It is hard to see since it is on the black portion of the trailer, below the aluminum sidewall and the cover is black also. Good luck
JimS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Jerry,

I think they dd away with the wired outside speaker setup and went only with the wireless that Lumatic wrote about. Our 2008 has 1 wireless Advent speaker with the same switch configuration for in/both/out.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:13 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
On the road since 2000 , norseaodyssey.com
Wireless speakers vs. wired outside speakers...

Be aware that the way the In/Out/Both switch is wired is extremely important to the way the system functions.

IF (not caps) your trailer was wired for a wireless speaker system that means that the wireless system will be using a floating ground. This means that any use of the jack in the In/Out/Both switch for anything other than something that uses a floating ground could harm your sound system.

See post number 27 in the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...reo-36282.html thread.

Jim

"Travel is fatal to bigotry, prejudice and being narrow minded."
norsea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2008, 09:09 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
Be aware that the way the In/Out/Both switch is wired is extremely important to the way the system functions.

IF (not caps) your trailer was wired for a wireless speaker system that means that the wireless system will be using a floating ground. This means that any use of the jack in the In/Out/Both switch for anything other than something that uses a floating ground could harm your sound system.

See post number 27 in the http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...reo-36282.html thread.

Jim
I am not sure what a floating ground is but here is my set up:

The sound unit is an aftermarket RV unit. It has connections for 2 sets of speakers and also a headphone jack. My first thought was to hook the Advent transmitter into one of the speaker connections. The instructions were not clear but seemed to imply if you made a hook up this way damage could result. The transmitter just plugs into the headphones jack. The only down side is you can't use both the speakers inside and the wireless at the same time. not a big deal and there is still a little volume that comes out of the inside speakers when using the wireless

By the way, the guy I bought it from sold it because he got a Bose that hooks into his Ipod.
Old 06-25-2008, 07:55 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2020 25' Flying Cloud
Jacksons Gap , Alabama
I have been following this subject with interest since I also have the same A/V set up that JerryMcMunn has but my AS is a 2007 19ft Bambi SE. It was built in 12/06. I would like to connect an external speaker but I have not found the 4-terminal plug that some have mentioned. I searched the bottom of the trailer and especially around the door side but I do not find any plug or cap over a plug. In the overhead cabinet I took off the access panel below the speaker switch and I see 4 wires from the switch (orange,blue,red and pink). The area is full of wires and two black boxes. I notice that the above 4 wires connect to one of these boxes. It is hard to see where the wires are going. Does anyone know where the other end of this speaker wire is located? Hopefully, it was placed where I can get access to it so I can use for an outside speaker connection. I have not called the factory.
Frank
Frank McFee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

Evanston , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank McFee View Post
I have been following this subject with interest since I also have the same A/V set up that JerryMcMunn has but my AS is a 2007 19ft Bambi SE. It was built in 12/06. I would like to connect an external speaker but I have not found the 4-terminal plug that some have mentioned. I searched the bottom of the trailer and especially around the door side but I do not find any plug or cap over a plug. In the overhead cabinet I took off the access panel below the speaker switch and I see 4 wires from the switch (orange,blue,red and pink). The area is full of wires and two black boxes. I notice that the above 4 wires connect to one of these boxes. It is hard to see where the wires are going. Does anyone know where the other end of this speaker wire is located? Hopefully, it was placed where I can get access to it so I can use for an outside speaker connection. I have not called the factory.
Frank
I, too, have searched for a connector on the trailer's exterior with no luck. My next step will be to call the factory. Stay tuned.......................
Old 07-05-2008, 11:26 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
Your 08 is probably setup like mine, no external wiring for speakers. Just a jack for the wireless speaker. I disassembled my stereo cabinet to take a peak myself. The wiring for the BOTH and OUT switched circuit runs to a convertor box and back to the LINE OUT jack and that's it.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westfalia View Post
Your 08 is probably setup like mine, no external wiring for speakers. Just a jack for the wireless speaker. I disassembled my stereo cabinet to take a peak myself. The wiring for the BOTH and OUT switched circuit runs to a convertor box and back to the LINE OUT jack and that's it.
So where is the jack located for the wireless speakers? I also have an 08 safari 23 fb se.

Thanks!
bonginator is offline   Reply With Quote