Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2019, 08:39 AM   #1
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
Hulu tv on the road

We currently watch OTA tv when available, cable at some campgrounds and a Firestick to get Netflix and Amazon Video through a mobile hotspot.

Has anyone had success with watching Hulu TV on their tv while traveling? Their literature says you need a non- mobile home ‘address’ for connectivity.

We store our rig at home. could we initialize our home address to connect, then use Hulu when we travel?

Just exploring options.
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:19 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Can you stream using your Smart phone as a hotspot at home on your regular T.V.?

If not that is a real downside to HULU. I would try Sling TV then. We have had no problem with that.

Interesting to see if anyone has had experience with HULU on the road.
Daquenzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:05 AM   #3
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
I did look into Sling but it looks like not all the major network channels are available.

I would like to be able to get all networks via Hulu since our home antenna gets spotty reception due to our distance from the towers.

Not sure about Hulu via phone hotspot. The internet has several sites that discuss possible ways around the hotspot dilemma but they are a bit to techie for me.
Old 09-21-2019, 12:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
I did look into Sling but it looks like not all the major network channels are available.

I would like to be able to get all networks via Hulu since our home antenna gets spotty reception due to our distance from the towers.

Not sure about Hulu via phone hotspot. The internet has several sites that discuss possible ways around the hotspot dilemma but they are a bit to techie for me.
Found this on the web:
Hulu with Live TV doesn't support mobile hotspots. ... Devices connected via a mobile hotspot qualify as mobile devices and cannot be used for this purpose.” This is on Hulu's help website!Nov 28, 2018

Hate to say it but you may have to look for another solution than HULU.

Have you tried Directv Now?
Old 09-21-2019, 12:10 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Any approach to streaming on the road will be very dependent on your connectivity. On a cold rainy day in a full up camping area, simply having a lot of signal may not be all you need. Sitting right here right now with 3 bars on the phone and campground WiFi .... forget about streaming. Even email is a bit challenged ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 01:53 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Any approach to streaming on the road will be very dependent on your connectivity. On a cold rainy day in a full up camping area, simply having a lot of signal may not be all you need. Sitting right here right now with 3 bars on the phone and campground WiFi .... forget about streaming. Even email is a bit challenged ....

Bob
If you are going to do any streaming a Weboost signal booster is a must. An AS with all the metal can hurt connectivity. Having said that when I have 3 bars I get pretty good access to the internet. Much of it depends upon how good your cell phone modem works. My Apple Xr works quite well.

There is a problem with live TV however. With netflix and other streaming platforms a roku will download much of the program to prevent buffering.
Can’t really do that with live TV.

What we tend to do is download the programs we are watching to the IPAD then watch them on the road. If we are close enough to get live TV from the antenna that’s a plus.

The only other way to get live TV is get Dish and a receiver and satellite antenna. And for those on the road a lot that is probably the best route. In the long run it’s actually cheaper than using up data. A Weboost is about $450. An antenna is about that. Then the receiver has to be purchased. The advantage is you can pay by the month. Watching video with cell data really eats up data fast. After awhile your data will be too slow to hardly run the internet. Most “unlimited” data programs will give you a certain amount (say 15GB) and then they slow you down.

Some people buy Mifi’s and then buy data in bundles. I looked into that. Pretty expensive. The good part is you can buy by the month.

If on the road a lot I would:
1). Get dish satellite for TV.
2). Buy a mifi modem and weboost signal amplifier and buy data by the month.
Old 09-21-2019, 05:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Salem , Oregon
we picked up the equipment for about $400.00 for Dish satellite. Wally receiver and Winegard portable dish. We can subscribe for only the months we want. Think its 40.00 a month when we use it. They will give you credit if you do not use it a full month. Dave
NoResults is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:12 AM   #8
SHE SHED

2019 30' Classic
Brooklyn , New York
I use two ROKU streaming sticks on my AS TV's. My AS has internet via AT&T wireless too. While trying to use HULU Live on the streaming stick HULU always asks if I want to change my adddress. My "work around" for this is to use HULU Live(all features) on my smart phone, which works anywhere, and I then cast/mirror it to the streaming stick without any problems. The streaming stick has a setting for this function, and so does my Samsung 9+ (smartview). I do have my phone plugged into a charger in this mode. I still cannot figure out how to do this with my wife's iPhone 10. Any suggestions?
trikdacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:27 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2018 27' Globetrotter
Apollo Beach , Florida
iPhones do not play nice with non-apple interfaces. I use the DirecTVnow streaming, now called AT&T TV with my IPhone 7. I use an Apple lightening-to-hdmi adapter with my phone to display the phone screen on the TV. The “trick” to making this work was to turn off the screensaver. With the screensaver on, the connection would quit every time the screensaver activated. I use Cricket Wireless (AT&T) with 23 Gigabytes of unlimited data and potential throttling after that. I’ve never been throttled but seldom use more than 23GB per month. You need fairly good cellphone service to watch streaming cable. I get over 150 channels.
Sold: 2017 FC25FB, 316 nights 40,150 miles
Sold: 2013 Casita SD17 89 nights 16,200 miles
AirMiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 06:12 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
Narragansett , Rhode Island
We watch Hulu by using a Roku Ultra streaming device. We have a WiFi Ranger LTE so usually stream over Cellular. Our home address on the Roku works fine.
Gansett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 07:24 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Jim Falls , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirMiles View Post
iPhones do not play nice with non-apple interfaces. I use the DirecTVnow streaming, now called AT&T TV with my IPhone 7. I use an Apple lightening-to-hdmi adapter with my phone to display the phone screen on the TV. The “trick” to making this work was to turn off the screensaver. With the screensaver on, the connection would quit every time the screensaver activated. I use Cricket Wireless (AT&T) with 23 Gigabytes of unlimited data and potential throttling after that. I’ve never been throttled but seldom use more than 23GB per month. You need fairly good cellphone service to watch streaming cable. I get over 150 channels.
Excellent. I’ll have to try that. I have 25 GB unlimited. The advantage of having ATT cell service and Directv is they don’t count your use of Directv on your data plan. We had it for awhile and would often watch on our large laptops. Unfortunately ATT had terrible coverage in our rural county and I had to switch because I use my cell for business and there were too many dead spots.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:58 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
1987 29' Sovereign
1978 31' Sovereign
Tampa Bay , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by az-streamer View Post
We currently watch OTA tv when available, cable at some campgrounds and a Firestick to get Netflix and Amazon Video through a mobile hotspot.

Has anyone had success with watching Hulu TV on their tv while traveling? Their literature says you need a non- mobile home ‘address’ for connectivity.

We store our rig at home. could we initialize our home address to connect, then use Hulu when we travel?

Just exploring options.
Also wondering same w YouTube TV?

"The world is a book and those who do not travel read only one page.” – St. Augustine
369goose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 05:01 PM   #13
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Upadate:

We have been camping for almost 2 weeks about 120 miles from home.

Using the Amazon Firestick and a personal hotspot on our iPhone Verison phone, we are able to watch Netflix, Amazon Video and Hulu without problem.

It seems the Hulu app is linked to our home address but does not have to ‘be there’.

We have not yet tried this past 30 days and at that point Hulu might ask to be re-initialized via a closer link to our home computer.

However, so far so good - and no need for addl pricey hardware. 👍