Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-10-2010, 10:46 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Austin , Texas
How much rewiring required for audio/visual upgrade?

I am in the process of renovating. I've removed all the interior fixtures. Before i go back in with new, I want to know what I need to add for better TV and audio.

1. For those with Satellite TVs, did you have to run new wiring for this?

2. If you are using a standard 120V LCD, do you need additional power protection? Or does everyone go with 12V TVs?
adwriter73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Did anybody answer your thread? Cable TV andSat systems use good ol Coax that's been around for years. Questiion is does your trailer have wiring built in?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 02:32 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1959 24' Tradewind
The Grass Capital of the World , Oregon
I'm also interested in hearing experience. I've found easy inexpensive low-energy options for video display (projectors using bluetooth via iphone) but that requires 3G location/service which also means planning ahead for "what's to watch". Ideally, TV on this planet would entertain me at every possible interval. How can I hook to DirecTV or something similar with what I've got?

Keep in mind, the projector will be aimed at a wall/sheet so that I may educate the wildlife. I insist they not be left behind.
SpaceEgg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
You probably don't have any cable wiring in that Vintage trailer of yours. On my Tradewind I pulled a Cable (RG58 Coax vis Radio Shack) through my fridge compartment and then behind the wall to the overhead bin where I had a feed to the TV. If you want Sat TV then you'll need a location to place the Receiver. So the overhead bin worked for me. From there you can come out of the Sat Receiver to the Projector. Don't know where you plan to project onto. the Apple Stores sell a Pico Projector by Optoma. Energy Efficient and very small and uses a LED for the lamp.
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
When I was fulltiming in my dad's sovereign a few years ago, I ran coax in through the fridge compartment through the wall to the inside of the credenza. I went to home depot and purchased a circular trim piece made to run wiring through a desk top. That gave me plenty of room for power plugs and hdmi cables to run from a 23" LCD monitor. The outside end of the coax was run out the bottom of the trailer. This setup allows for either cable to be ran all the way up or a satellite box to be hidden inside the credenza.
I refuse to put a TV inside the TradeWind. I use it for camping, and don't want the temptation to sit in front of the TV when I should be enjoying the view outside.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 07:55 AM   #6
jm2
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
1977 20' Argosy 20
northern valley , new jersey
RG-58 or RG-59 cables might be adequate for use with a standard VHF + UHF broadcast band antenna.

for Satellite and (digital) CableTV systems, we strongly recommend a high quality RG-6 Quad Shield cable.

prices for RG-6 materials at the places like Radio Shack and Best Buy tend to be exorbitant. you might do better at HD or Lowes.

or, if you encounter a local tech for the Cable or Sat TV company, you might be able to negotiate a good deal, as many (in our area, at least) are independent contractors rather than statutory employees.

prewiring HDMI cables may also be a good idea.

as to audio cables, the answer is "it depends" on what you're hooking up? the acoustics in an AS don't demand "monster" grade cables, but as with the coax cable, don't scrimp.

shopping online at Crutchfield or Parts-Express may be helpful.

in any case, try to grommet the holes in the trailer's metal ribs where your wiring passes through to help avoid future failure from rubbing through.

good luck!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication - Leonardo da Vinci.

WBCCI 2087 - AIR 3144 - TAC-NJ2

https://defendwally.org/
jm2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2 View Post
RG-58 or RG-59 cables might be adequate for use with a standard VHF + UHF broadcast band antenna.
And I can attest to the fact that old RG-59 wire can work perfectly fine with a satellite system in a trailer.

There's nothing wrong with using something better or newer, but the wire in our trailer, as installed by the previous owner about 9 years ago gives excellent results on our LCD TV. But you still might want to replace it since you have pulled all the furniture out.

What I would watch out for in an old trailer is that, if it has been installed a long time ago, it could not have been pierced by subsequent work done on the trailer, or a connection could have become corroded. THOSE are killers that will require new wiring.

For the same reason, I would also test and verify all speaker wire in the trailer. A simple VTVM (frequently on sale as low as $5-$10 at many shops) can be used to check for shorts, breaks, or high resistance in either speaker wire or RG-59.
Old 11-05-2010, 01:04 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2008 16' Safari
Destrehan , Louisiana
The old coax will probably work ok, but you should relace it.
Go with 120 VAC TV. Try to get a small flat screen with the DVD player built in.
To run the TV with no shore power get a small inverter that runs on 12 VDC. Most new TV's only draw 150 watts or less.
Run new wires for your speakers. This will help reduce the chance of static or noise.
Digital TV's need a good signal to work. Replace the antenna with a new Winegaurd unit. Get a 12 VDC signal booster to amplify the antenna signal.
Look at what is offered in new trailer to get a good idea of what you need.
dlb435 is offline   Reply With Quote