Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2010, 02:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
Port Huron , Michigan
How high to mount flat sreen tv??

I just got a 22 inch Insigna flat screen television hd with LED .It is very light like less that 5 pounds.I want to mount it in my 99 safari on the wall next to the frig.I had a Inuit mount that mounts flat but can be tilted forward or back several inches.I was wondering how high to mount it. My wife and I will be viewing it on the couch 4-5 feet away .If you have any advice on mounting height please share your experiences.I was thinking fairly high so I could use the the wall in the storage area for extra strengh??Thank You Dr.J Mi. Silver
mi silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:31 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 28' International CCD
Ottawa , Ontario
I'm assuming you have a dinette in between the wall where you'll be mounting the TV and the sofa?

I would imagine that you'd have to mount the TV high enough that you can view it if somebody is sitting at the dinette (and conversely, that the TV won't hit someone on the head if they're sitting at the dinette).

I'm not understanding the "storage area" part of your question though?
Old 03-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #3
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I have a flat screen and I mounted it about chest level. Any higher than that and it is uncomfortable to watch. Not just because you are tilting your head back, but because it just doesn't feel right to be looking up, with the air conditioner in the background.

If you have longer sight lines you can mount it higher, but with the confined sight lines in a trailer I find a panel mounted at head level is too high.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Do either of you wear glasses? Consider the "sweet spot" in your lenses where you will be watching the TV. If you're like me, you will unconsciously adjust the angle of your neck to focus on the screen. This can get uncomfortable after a while.

I have a 37" Mitsubishi sitting on the credenza in my 34' Excella and sit across from it in a Lane recliner about six feet away. Eye level for me is about even with the top of the recliner. You can get an idea of the relationship from the photos in the links.

I also use it as a monitor. The bottom third of the screen is about eye level, so I find myself positioning things I am working on in that area when I can. I will admit that I have no problem when viewing TV, but I would not want it any higher.