Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2024, 08:50 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Kentfield , California
Unhappy Help! Still experiencing this: NO TV sound

[DISCLAIMER: I don't have either AS parlance or sound system connection lingo or really anything very technical language-wise. I'm just a newbie trying to figure things out!]

My AS is a new-to-me 2015 Flying Cloud 19C. The previous owner had replaced the monitor from Samsung to 24" Insignia F20 series. The RCA "AV IN" cables are connected and the HDMI cable can be in one of (3) places, including an HDMI 1 (ARC). No matter which HDMI port I use the sound only comes out of the monitor, despite having the Clarion M502 set to "Aux." I would like the sound to come from the fore n'aft speakers + subwoofer.

I removed the screen and then screws from the speaker just below the system to access the wires coming from the Clarion receiver. They are clearly marked. Interestingly, (while in Tuner or Bluetooth mode), when I unplugged any of the three separate "Front, Rear & Aux" connections the sound continued to emanate from the fore n'aft speakers. But no matter how I reconfigured the connections I got no sound from the monitor.

To trouble-shoot I reconnected everything except for the Aux connections and then used those to plug directly from the "Audio out" jack on the monitor to the receiver. Voila! The TV monitor sound came out of the speakers!

Frankly, I'm not sure what this tells me except that to make it work I have to run that wire some how. But ARGH! I am hearing that doing so is nigh to impossible.

Is there any other way??!!??

Thank you for whatever assistance you can provide!
GraffitiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2024, 02:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Welcome to Airforums. Sorry you are having issues.

I'm not 100% clear what the issue is, but I have a feeling it is related to this:

"...replaced the monitor from Samsung to 24" Insignia F20 series".

So the reason for this question is that in the typical case of the Samsun monitors that Airstream uses, they have a pair of RCA Audio output jack plugs that come out of the back of the TV (red and white, for left and right, or is it right and left.)

Anyway, these two output plugs go into the two corresponding jacks wired into the coach, just behind the TV, terminating in input jacks on the M303 Clarion marine stereo. The TV supplies output to these, and you hear the TV output on the fore n aft speakers, as you call them.

At least this is how it worked on my 2016 30 RBQ, 2017 27 RBT, and 2018 23 RBQ.

I too replaced the Samsung monitor in my 2018 with a Fire TV, and since this model did not have an audio jack, as I recall I had to use the M303 as a "external speaker" to the Fire TV, and pair up over bluetooth, in order to get the TV sound out of the coach speakers.

For my current 2019 25 RBT, I also removed the Samsung TV, but in this case, I mounted a Bose sound bar directly below the TV, and just ran an optical cable from the digital TV I bought to the sound bar. I only use the M303 stereo for say Pandora off my phone.

Again, I'm not exactly sure what your situation is, but if your Fire TV doesn't have a pair of RCA jacks that can plug into where the jacks were on the Samsung TV that was removed, I would try to see if you can connect the Fire TV to the M303 as a BT device. Otherwise I'm not sure you can get there from here.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2024, 07:27 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Kentfield , California
ahhhh . . . Fire TV; who knew?!?

Thank you so much, Rich! Very helpful and sorry it took so long to reply . . . I appreciate this forum so much!

So the Insignia monitor does have the correct audio output jacks, and the plugs fit nicely into them, red to red, white to white . . . But the sound doesn't work. I had no idea that the new monitor is a Fire TV. Since that's the case, then the BT solution you mention might just work! I'll try that first. On to the sound bar if not.

best to you and thanks again!
Old 06-15-2024, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
I am not sure this is as per the TV you installed, but the online version of the Insignia F20 TV User Manual shows RCA jacks for input AND output.

Did you by chance put the M303 plugs onto the input side of the panel? It would need to be on the output side pair in order for the F20 to provide audio output to the M303. If your TV isn't set up like this, or you have only one output audio pair of jacks, this may not apply.

If you set it up like in the diagram, you won't get sound out of the M303. You'd need to move the jacks over to the output side, so the TV output provides sound to the M303.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot from 2024-06-15 07-21-36.png
Views:	6
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	444361  
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2024, 07:28 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Audio also travels on the HDMI cable if you can access that.
A converter from HDMI to RCA is widely available for under $10 if that gets you to the Receiver.
Mollysdad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2024, 04:54 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Kentfield , California
Will take another look soon . . . So so helpful! thank you
Old 06-20-2024, 04:56 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
Kentfield , California
got it!