Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Help, 12 Volt TV melted the plug-in at wall.

We had a bad storm come thru today that left us without electricity for a few hrs. We decided to use the trailer and just relax watching some shows. The TV was acting a little odd, not bringing in sound and the DVD would not work. Thought maybe it was just from not being used. After the electricity came back on 3 hrs. later, the TV ran perfect and the DVD was fine. I went to unplug it from the wall and WOW, was it hot It actually melted part of the plastic housing. I then did a battery check with the monitor and saw the batteries were at about 55%. Is the state of the batteries what caused the plug to get so hot or do you think it was just a cheap plug that could not handle the load? I am very concerned about this and need to know why it happened. Input needed and appreciated
AIR #30685
RLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Melted connector.

Hi, most common on low voltage systems [12 volt] is a poor connection. I have repaired many cars that had fuse panels, switches, and connectors that have melted because of dirty, rusty, and loose connections. I would consider changing to a different type connector for your TV.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:55 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Just a cheap plug or outlet. The 12 volt "cigarette lighter" stile outlet is a very marginal design which has become, unfortunately, standard. The Airstream version has been pretty poorly made and wired, at least the older ones. I took apart a melted one on a friends '87 and it had 16 gage wire, and a flimsy outlet itself. I replaced it for him with heavier wire and a good outlet from an auto parts store, one actually designed for a lighter, with a ceramic center part.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, most common on low voltage systems [12 volt] is a poor connection. I have repaired many cars that had fuse panels, switches, and connectors that have melted because of dirty, rusty, and loose connections. I would consider changing to a different type connector for your TV.
Thanks Bob. I take it you're saying the cig. plug on the wall is the problem? What would take it's place, a regular wall outlet wired 12 volt?
The plastic around the prongs that make contact with the female part did not melt, it was from the heat inside the male plug that melted the plastic. Very weird.
AIR #30685
Old 04-14-2013, 10:07 PM   #5
RLS
Rivet Master

2004 25' Classic
Prescott , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by idroba View Post
Just a cheap plug or outlet. The 12 volt "cigarette lighter" stile outlet is a very marginal design which has become, unfortunately, standard. The Airstream version has been pretty poorly made and wired, at least the older ones. I took apart a melted one on a friends '87 and it had 16 gage wire, and a flimsy outlet itself. I replaced it for him with heavier wire and a good outlet from an auto parts store, one actually designed for a lighter, with a ceramic center part.
So maybe if I can find a heavy duty male plug that might solve it?
AIR #30685
Old 04-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I would consider something like this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	product_101_caravan-plug-12-volt-2-pin-plug.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	20.7 KB