Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-04-2007, 09:12 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by anholman
Our PO handed me the original antenna to our '66. It used to mount on the front of the coach near the front window. I 'patched' the 2 mount holes with chrome tape. The antenna is in good condition except for the old flat wire. I have been considering remounting it (it folds up vertically) because it does look vintage. Any opinions or experiences pro or con?

Neil and Lynn
THANKS! Your post made me investigate my original antenna pieces. Furthermore, yesterday a fellow forum member (thanks Nvstysly!) showed me how it really opens out and works, how to fix the old parts, and put new wire end terminals on for me. I'm delighted and feel like an idiot all at the same time. Y'all would laugh if you saw the pitiful mess I'd been sending up into the airwaves.

As for using it, yes I do when cable hookups aren't available. Things are much better now that I've been educated. Even though I'm camping in the mountains and a long distance from stations I'm at least getting a picture. It will probably be even better in other locations. My flat wire is in good shape and I'll compromise picture quality because of the vintage look.

My mounting bracket was curbside of the front window also but is missing. Don't ask how I rig my antenna setup, you would laugh at that too. So I'm curious, Neil, what hardware you might use if you plan to mount yours.
Old 08-04-2007, 09:31 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarfoot
THANKS! Your post made me investigate my original antenna pieces.

My mounting bracket was curbside of the front window also but is missing. Don't ask how I rig my antenna setup, you would laugh at that too. So I'm curious, Neil, what hardware you might use if you plan to mount yours.
Mine was mounted streetside of the front window. There is a shaft and knob that goes into the coach for I guess directional adjustment. I haven't yet unwrapped and deployed the antenna to discover how it works. I appears all the parts are there. I don't know where the antenna wire travels in the walls but the plug to the Tv is on othe shelf above the refrigerator which isn't large enough for a decent size Tv. If you want me to photograph the antenna for your reference let me know. It may be awhile before I remount it to the coach.

Neil and Lynn
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2007, 10:04 PM   #23
Rivet Master

1958 22' Flying Cloud
1956 30' Sovereign of the Road
1963 16' Bambi
Southeastern Area , Tennessee
I appreciate the photo offer. I'm mostly interested in finding a source for the bracket or how to construct one, I'd like to rivet a similar bracket into the same holes as the original. It sounds like the 1966 technology was a little more advanced than my 1960. There is nothing inside my coach for deploying or adjusting. Mine is deployed by adjusting a thumbscrew on the pole and raising the antenna by hand outside. Adjustment is done the old fashioned way ~ going outside and manipulating the thing in all manner of weather while looking in the front window to see what the picture is doing.

The flat wire in mine routes from the antenna at the tongue into or under the belly pan, and comes up through the floor under the fridge. It then runs through the heat vent behind the fridge up to the TV shelf. If any of my photos may help you, let me know.
Old 08-05-2007, 06:54 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1948 16' Wee Wind
1953 21' Flying Cloud
Denver , Colorado
Buggy whips and twin lead ...

If you want to produce a scrunched-up puzzled look on a young clerk's face at most electronics stores, ask for a roll of "twin lead". That's the name for the old flat two lead outdoor antenna wire. You'll likely be directed to the manager, who may remember it and can explain it to those born in the cable or digital wireless age. My closest Radio Shack no longer carries twin lead, but I did buy a connector for mounting on the Braund antenna that joins twin lead to coax.
Fred Coldwell, WBCCI #1510, AIR #2675
Denver, Colorado - WBCCI Unit 24
Airstream Life "Old Aluminum"
Airstream Life
"From the Archives"
47WeeWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 07:25 AM   #25
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I read somewhere that, with a digital signal, over the air, that you either get a picture or you don't and, if you do get a picture, the old rabbit ears will work just as well as Rube's super-dooper, high-priced, mars-capable antenna. My question, with respect to the built-in amplifier in my Excella, is whether or not the built-in amplifier enhances or degrades an "over-the-air" HDTV signal?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 10:15 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet “HDTV Antennas”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cracker
I read somewhere that, with a digital signal, over the air, that you either get a picture or you don't and, if you do get a picture, the old rabbit ears will work just as well as Rube's super-dooper, high-priced, mars-capable antenna. My question, with respect to the built-in amplifier in my Excella, is whether or not the built-in amplifier enhances or degrades an "over-the-air" HDTV signal?
Correct about the signal. I can’t help about the old booster(s), my Excella had two hooked together. I scrapped them and bought a new, higher amplification one from Wal-Mart for about $30. You could always try it both with and without.

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 11:33 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
Chuck is right about the "drip loop". It is keep water from flowing into the cable entrance to the building.

Most if not all television stations are broadcasting in analog and digital. Our local channel 20 (WCJB) analog is simulcast on channel 16 in digital. They have 2 program streams, labled 20-1 and 20-2 in my DirecTV program guide. 20-1 is ABC network and 20-2 is The CW network. Programs may or may not be in HD, depending on whether the program was shot or broadcast in HD. My DirecTV receiver has an ATSC tuner built in to it. It automatically searches for digital stations and places them in the receivers program guide. You need a regular TV antenna as well as a sat antenna to get the digital off air to work on the DirecTV sat receiver.

HD ready TV antennas are very similar to "fat free" regular gasoline.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 01:07 PM   #28
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Okay, so the loop is not for lightning, which is good, because it didn't work when our house got zapped. The shedding of water, and strain relief, are much more sensible answers. Even though it means the cable guy that told me this is an idiot...
Old 08-05-2007, 02:55 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
I hate to say this, but I was once a "cable guy". That being said, you would not believe that most of them do not even have a rudimentary knowledge of electronics or RF theory. That is why most cable companies have such bad reputations in customer service. It takes a good amount of technical know how to keep a cable system in good repair, but most CATV companies are not willing to invest in good technicians. Quantity, not quality is their mantra.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 04:35 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47WeeWind
If you want to produce a scrunched-up puzzled look on a young clerk's face at most electronics stores, ask for a roll of "twin lead". That's the name for the old flat two lead outdoor antenna wire. You'll likely be directed to the manager, who may remember it and can explain it to those born in the cable or digital wireless age. My closest Radio Shack no longer carries twin lead, but I did buy a connector for mounting on the Braund antenna that joins twin lead to coax.
I have some 'new' twin lead cable in my garage from the last century. If I went with that to complete the vintage look don't I have to use the cable stand-offs? I remember installing Tv antennas on my roof and using the screw end eyes with the insulation to carry the 'twin lead' away from antenna poles, roofs and house exterior walls.

Neil and Lynn.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 05:33 PM   #31
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
...... Even though it means the cable guy that told me this is an idiot...
I almost blew Coke on the monitor when I read that. Yep, we have a lot of, uh, technically challenged individuals at the cable company. SO the cat's out of the bag, I'm a cable guy. BUT, notice how loudly I say this part, I DON'T HOOK UP STUFF TO PEOPLE'S HOUSES. I work on the back-bone equipment (fiber optics, muliplexers, decoders, routers, VOIP, etc). That's why I had to ask a lot of questions about how to do this stuff. And both you and Pick are correct, the guys they hire to come out to your house (for the most part) are entry level folks. Most of what they know about the technology behind what they are doing is what they learn if a few weeks of class scattered over the first months of employment.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 06:30 PM   #32
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Turn On & Tune In

We replaced all the crt TVs with flats.
They work perfectly with any current antenna system you have.
The amp types are better, but no HDTV special antennas are needed.

Just to add...
The flat pancake antenna is junk!
Does not pick-up worth a bare wire.

The main thing you have to get, or to look for included with TV is,
A built in "HDTV tuner"...that is different than the "HDTV ready types"
They have very deceptive marketing going on right now as not all TVs will pick up HDTV signals.
Just remember, it MUST say...
Built in HDTV Tuner
Or you will have to get a separte HDTV tuner, about $100, but not the way to go unless you have spent big bucks on a widescreen without a tuner.

OH...go ahead a get a widescreen if your buying...most HDTV programs are in widescreen.

I mounted a small one in rear bedroom in the curve of the ceiling.
Never have to move or set up.
Perfect for falling asleep watching...

This is the front one...
It slides behind drivers seat while underway...

And set up...

klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2007, 08:08 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Way to cool. Love the B&W layout, we did that in a Houseboat years ago.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 07:38 AM   #34
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
Everybody probably knows that in these older model Airstreams, the cable from the antenna runs from the back of the antenna, through a hole in the roof, down the side of the camper to a small “amplifier”...
"Amplifier?" All I found in the Sovereign was a balun type splitter in the connector outlet box for splitting the signal back to a rear bedroom connector box. I'm still trying to figure out where the splitter is that feeds the FM radio cable. I only opened the interior skins enough to replace the vista view windows, so I couldn't do a thorough search. What does this little amplifier box look like?

Zep
Old 08-10-2007, 09:22 AM   #35
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
My amp is in the cover for the cable attachment.
A bunch of bare electronics with a led indicating amp is on.

Looks like a wall plug cover...kinda
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2007, 10:52 AM   #36
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Zep, I'll get a pic for you tonight.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 08-13-2007, 06:44 PM   #37
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Hey Zep, I forgot to post this for you. Here's that little Braund Amp I mentioned before. I've got a few more pic's someplace if you need 'em.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Amp 1.JPG
Views:	136
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	43175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Antenna Amp 2.JPG
Views:	112
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	43176  

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 08-13-2007, 07:20 PM   #38
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Hey Zep, I forgot to post this for you. Here's that little Braund Amp I mentioned before. I've got a few more pic's someplace if you need 'em.
Hi Jim,

I have that little Doohickey in my Excella. It switches the 300-ohm back to 75 for the old style flat twin lead that plugs into the two-hole “snakebite” socket. What an antique!

I had two AC powered amplifiers in series. Tossed them out and replaced with a more powerful single one.

Vaughan
Old 08-13-2007, 07:26 PM   #39
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Hummm, so its a 35 year old matching transformer? I just assumed it was a signal booster of some kind because it was actually powered by 12v pos & neg feeding off the cig lighter connection. Ya live and ya learn.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 PM   #40
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Hummm, so its a 35 year old matching transformer? I just assumed it was a signal booster of some kind because it was actually powered by 12v pos & neg feeding off the cig lighter connection. Ya live and ya learn.

Jim
Somewhere in the Excella I have the “snakebite fang” plug attached to some flatlead. Don’t hold your breath for pics, though. God knows where it is. I’m sure I kept it because “They are hard to find and someone might need it.” I looked for it just now and don’t have a clue where it is. I did find a roll of paper towels that I didn’t know I had, though.

I drilled a hole between the “snakebite” socket and the 12v lighter socket and put a 300-ohm bulkhead fitting, eliminating the need for it.

Vaughan