RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×

Old 02-01-2017, 11:35 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Has anyone tried the ''as seen on TV.'' antenna that mounts on the back of the television? My neighbor installed one at his house and claims he gets 45 channels. This is in northern Virginia, your milage will vary. Cost $13.00 at Walmart. Very simple 5 minute installation.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:40 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by streaminwild View Post
Has anyone tried the ''as seen on TV.'' antenna that mounts on the back of the television? My neighbor installed one at his house and claims he gets 45 channels. This is in northern Virginia, your milage will vary. Cost $13.00 at Walmart. Very simple 5 minute installation.
I haven't tried one, but I suspect it might not work very well being on the inside of the aluminum AS shell.
SeaLevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 07:19 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1999 30' Excella 1000
small town , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaLevel View Post
I haven't tried one, but I suspect it might not work very well being on the inside of the aluminum AS shell.
There are two versions . One that mounts on the back of television, and another that's 6''x6''x1/4'' with a suction cup for a window. I guess either will work with a suction cup and a cable to the nearest window. Being single, I don't watch much television, so no need for this. Just making everyone out there aware of another option. At $ 13.00 maybe worth a try. If ''Magic Jack'' really worked, then maybe this might too. Yes, I'm spelling out television... tv. on a rv. site... means tow vehicle.
streaminwild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:06 AM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
w.springfield , Massachusetts
[QUOTE=Rgentum;1901700]Replaced stock pancake antenna with Winegard Razar Z1 (what the Winegard repr at the last summer's WVA AS rally recommended), at a little over $100 --- works much better --- far more stations received.[/QUOTE. Is the base plate similar ? Or are new mounting holes needed?
mazoolah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:15 AM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
There are two versions . One that mounts on the back of television, and another that's 6''x6''x1/4'' with a suction cup for a window. I guess either will work with a suction cup and a cable to the nearest window. Being single, I don't watch much television, so no need for this. Just making everyone out there aware of another option. At $ 13.00 maybe worth a try. If ''Magic Jack'' really worked, then maybe this might too. Yes, I'm spelling out television... tv. on a rv. site... means tow vehicle.
I love the "being single" quote here.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 04:28 PM   #26
3 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
w.springfield , Massachusetts
Trying to read up on different antennas. A little confused on what fits the roof on the newer trailers with ducted air . I'm assuming only fixed mounts non cranking ones ,or am I missing something?
Old 02-02-2017, 06:35 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
I tried one of the indoor antennas and didn't have good luck with it. I even tried an amplified window mount antenna with the same poor results. Finally replaced my crank up with a "Jack" brand directional antenna and can't be happier. It is on a short mast and doesn't crank up but does rotate from the inside. It also has a signal meter so you can aim the antenna at the strongest signal before you search for channels on your television.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 07:58 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Have you replaced your pancake TV antenna?

I install the automatic Wineguard Razor on top of the rear AC. It works very well. I used a couple of 1/4-20 x 1/2 screws and nuts to mount it. The antenna doesn't weigh much, so it should not be a problem. I covered the roof top hole with the provided cable entrance plates and some Dictor sealant.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member

2020 22' Caravel
Woodstock ON , Ontario
How about adding an additional portable antenna?

Our 2016 30'er has the so called "pancake" antenna which in our present location works well. In other locations we have had a poor reception problem and are seeking a portable alternative antenna such as the inexpensive kind that the user can focus directionally outside by hand to improve reception on a temporary basis.

Problem is where to intercept the factory TV coax to bring the signal to the TV(s).

Has anyone discovered how and where to add a secondary portable antenna coax without replacing the existing factory installed TV coax which is amplified to the TV's, establishing a temporary workaround to poor TV signal from the pancake.
cbrittan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 09:20 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
You can put another antenna into the cable coaxed input on the outside.

I chose America
Old 11-14-2017, 09:05 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Centerville , Massachusetts
Send a message via ICQ to Solus
Every day I use my 2017 23D, I ask myself "where's the value"?
The technology (what little there is) must be 6+ years out of date.
Not bad shell and frame but few amenities and WAY out of date appliances.
No built in LAN/Ethernet, only one USB port, the only way to update DVD firmware requires tearing out player, updating software then rebuilding the box and adding a hinge to make rear of DVD player accessible. Where everyone around me can get 14 OTA channels, I get 4.
MSRP on my 23D is $84,000 and I'm glad I could talk a better price but I was still fleeced. Even at $67K, the value just isn't there.
I would have been MUCH better off in buying a 10 year old unit and making my own modifications.
Airstream is a fine example of hype and promotion substituting for low quality, marginal appliances and no sign of value added.
Solus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:28 AM   #32
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wulfraat View Post
tripled the number of stations.
Great! Triple the old B&W western movies and 4 minute commercial blocks.

Frankly, I like the "pancake". I hated the crank up and twist antenna. Do you know how many people I saw drive away with their antenna up? I probably would have too except I didn't put it up.
I go exploring to get away from TV, except for a football game or the World Series, which I got fine.

Quote:
Same company that sells the "cell phone booster" that sticks on the back of your cell phone?

Does it have a coax to the TV? If so, the key word is "Northern Virginia", that's Washington DC. There are many low power DTV stations in that area. Try rabbit ears and probably get more. People get the idea that there's "digital antennas" or "HD antennas", there's just antennas.
If it's just a sticker, snake oil.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 09:36 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I am the odd guy out. I went through a process of upgrades on my antenna. I started with the classic winegard batwing. I got very few stations. Then I bought the HD nose piece and it greatly improved the station count but I would have to twist the crank around to dial in the station guessing all the way. I discovered the upgrade to the booster part, a sound/light signal indication unit called a Sensor Pro. That really helped cut down the guesswork. A year or so later, Winegard came out with a new updated HD digital antenna called the Rayzar Air that looked like a Fly Swatter and was a direct replacement for the batwing. The benefit was it was fine-tuned to newer digital frequencies and it was bi-directional versus a single point. I installed one and got seven more channels than before increasing my number from 19 channels to 26 outside my home. I heard that they quit making the Razar and I called about it. They said there was nothing wrong with it at all, just that the market was minimal- not selling it over as non-crank up models were becoming the marketing direction. I am happy with it and I need the crank up for my WiFi Ranger too. I would rather crank up a rod than have to install one wherever I go for antennas.
Old 12-03-2017, 12:47 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2016 23' International
Philadelphia , Pennsylvania
For those who installed the Rayzar Automatic Amplified HD TV Antenna, did you notice any extra draw of power? We live off solar as much as possible and don't have many amp hours to spare. Next question. How close can you instal to solar panels and AC unit? Running out of real estate on roof. Thanks for your knowledge.
Astw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 02:10 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Hello, Iím not sure what the draw is on the Razor, but you can turn it off and only turn on the amp when you need it. Digital TV is directional. So itís a line of sight thing. The AC would get in the way if they live on the same plane. You can see in my photo I attached it on top the AC.

I chose America