Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-20-2008, 08:40 AM   #81
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
1080p versus 720p in a trailer is a worthless argument. You'll never see the difference. 720p units can be more cost effective, but go with the unit with the best cost for the size you want.

FWIW, my new Samsung 23' has an energy savings mode. When enabled, it takes the wattage of the unit down from about 90 watts to 43 watts which is perfect for some boondocking TV watching. The PQ is great in SD or HD and I think it looks better than the Sony Bravia.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 09:25 AM   #82
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Surely not to argue Westfalia; but it would seem the more lines of resolution that are viewable at a closer field of view as in a trailer would give a better viewing experience........

I suppose it is up to the viewer and most importantly the consumer. Just a few years ago many folks could not tell when a VHS tape had been copied and the generation effect that was totally visible to many. On the other hand, many foks can tell the difference between 720 and 1080.
Lean forward as you read this really focus on the tiny dots that make up the picture. Yes, they are tiny, and the more of them one has by being even more concentrated per viewing inch, the sharper the picture. This is especially evident when viewed from a closer distance as in 6 to 10 feet away or closer. Lines, color contrasts, and even focus are clearly obvious.

Right now, I am still waiting for as long as possible before replacing my 27' LCD that we are currently using in the mobil studio/home. We use this for our "location" and client monitor for video production on location. It's light and portable and fits in many locations. Yes, it is 1080, has many types of inputs, and in fact is actually a monitor for HD editing, the computer or as stated above client previews. Yes, it still does the job; but the newer stuff is even better. For "production work" that is what matters.

In the bedroom we use the good ol box that is several years old. In the coming months and especially into next year the even newer technology will continue to blossom as the prices continue to spiral downward.
DKDarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:23 AM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Issue is, without an inverter or some other 110 power source, the Sony's not boondocking material.

I for one don't want to have the sound portion of the multimedia experience messed up with the noise of a generator running in the background. And I'm not willing to go to the expense of buying and installing an inverter just so I can have "Sony".
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 10:46 AM   #84
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
DKDarrow, obviously you are learned in the way of HD, but in the size factors that these folks are looking at and IMHO, 1080i/p will not be an advantage for average trailer viewing. 19, 23, 25 or maybe even 27 inch displays don't really benefit from the extra resolution, even when viewed close. Anything larger than 27 and yes, the advantages of 1080i/p can become obvious when viewed in the right setting. As I see it, most of the trailer type are not running an HD source besides an occasional HD OTA signal and sometimes satellite, and for both of those 720p is more than adequate. Even fewer are going to have a BluRay/HD-DVD source for disc based playback. Standard DVD's? As I'm sure you know, 1080p displays do a pretty poor job of upconverting 480i/p material. There is just not enough resolution in the source material to make it look good without a LOT of expensive post processing, which you aren't going to have in a trailer. 720p does a MUCH better job of up converting from 480i/p. My 23' Samsung is displaying the 480i signal output from my Sony DVD car stereo that was installed from the factory. It looks 'good enough' for trailer use. I'd never put up with it in my house, especially on my 96" LCD front projector. That system gets the full processing treatment and the best source material I can throw at it.

For Spiffy Gem, exactly, high wattage and an inverter is a battery killer for boon docking. I have yet to boondock with my setup, but I expect it to perform fairly well at only 43 watts inverted. It has run in the driveway with for hours with little battery effect.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 11:03 AM   #85
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiffy Gem
... And I'm not willing to go to the expense of buying and installing an inverter just so I can have "Sony".

i'm not sure what your problem is gem,

but the inverter i'm using is 140 watts and available from many electronics vendors...

like r'shack, c'city, b'buy, the apple store, wally's and so on...

the expense is about 40 bucks and there is NO INSTALLATION, it just plugs into the round 12v outlets...

it's a modified sine wave and since the tele has it's own black box that cleans up the power, it works great.

same inverter is used for recharging the laptop while driving and other small gadgets...

45 watts? that's nice westie...

haven't looked at the image on a new samsung and

many of these folks are using the same screens and tuners now anyway...

and i also agree about resolution on these SMALL SCREENS...

gadgets like these tv get better and better while price keeps dropping...

the one advantage to buying from b'buy or c'city or the sony style stores duane,

is that IF you get a bum unit, it's easy to take back without dealing with shipping...

of course there IS the painful waiting while they get some inventory...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2008, 12:07 PM   #86
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
I get a kick out of folks that know everything but display little of that knowledge............So I shall just sit back and enjoy........

In Feb of 09 EVERY reciever will be getting an HD signal.......
State of the art TVs are even now making the adjustment automatically from 480 to 1080................
Actually, a lot of the programing and MANY of the commercials you are getting NOW are in HD format...........
Standard DVDs are in the past.........what you will be renting will be HD/BluRay..........
How many folks are still using VHS?
A BluRay player will play DVDs in the various formats

Like I say, but will shut up as the knowledgable folks know so much better than I ever will, it's up to the consumer and the viewer. For me, I value the visual experience whether I am on the road full timing, weekending, or just for the afternoon hiding out while the housekeeper does her thing.......Dennis
Old 05-20-2008, 12:33 PM   #87

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I watched a Dish Network's tech show the other night. Apparently Dish will be selling their own version of a digital to analog box for those keeping their analog TV's who are not using cable or satellite. Their cost to the consumer from Dish will be $40 a box which means the govt. issued coupons will cover the entire cost. Dish's converter box will be switchable to allow analog signals to pass through if needed. Their statement was that even though Feb. 2009 is the date of the digital broadcast switchover, some stations will be allowed a temporary grace period before they are forced to go digital. Therefore a digital to analog box may cause issues for folks receiving dual signals. Apparently it has something to do with the market size that local station has to support.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
i'm not sure what your problem is gem,

2air'
There is no problem . . . I just thought others would be interested in options (not related to Sony), or that they would be interested in avoiding additional work or purchases necessary to support the Sony product.

The whole "my thinking and taste is best, so don't cross me buster" approach to solutions or ideas is not constructive, or conclusive, nor is it the kind of attitude behind my post.

If I can't ask a question or offer a solution, even when the solution may not be agreeable by everyone, then why post?

I've rebuilt my Gem from the frame up and re-engineered almost everything (personally built cabinets, wiring, choice of appliances, etc.) to my taste (which clearly isn't the same for everyone) - If my research on products/solutions/taste are not welcome by you, 2Air - well, sorry dude, I'm just trying to add value and possibly an alternate solution that others may find very agreeable.
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 12:08 AM   #89
_

. , .
you've clearly misinterpreted the 'problem question'...

my reference was to WHICH issue is the problem..

using small ac gadgets
using cheap inverters
or as it now appears "sony"

and so on.

i read NO MENTION of the other options in your post, or any other solution to the the basic question in that post.

would the solution be a dc tele? or rewiring a current tele? or what?

ANY small draw a/c tele can work boondocking without a gen set AND without an expensive inverter.

yes d/c tv units are available and they are well covered in other threads,

there are many posts suggesting the jensen labeled tvs.

again my reference was to not understanding what your/the problem/issue is with using small a/c gadgets boondocking....

as state here...

Quote:
issue is, without an inverter or some other 110 power source, the Sony's not boondocking material.

I for one don't want to have the sound portion of the multimedia experience messed up with the noise of a generator running in the background. And I'm not willing to go to the expense of buying and installing an inverter just so I can have "Sony".
EVERY small lcd tv IS boondocking material, i'm doing exactly that right now without ANY problems.

and without genset noise or "cost or installation" issues of an expensive inverter.

sony has got NOTHING to do with the problem or solution.

the inexpensive inverter used also recharges laptops, batteries, flashlights and other small gadgets....

so unless one is planning to have EVERY/ONLY dc gadgets, a small inverter IS likely to part of most boondocker's tool kit.

i see no mention of ne1 suggesting that their approach is the only approach OR any buster/dude stuff...

the statement that boondocking with small ac gadgets isn't possible, is perhaps categorically not true...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 07:12 AM   #90
Refurbished 89 Excella

1988 29' Excella
Sugar Valley , Georgia
Hey 2AIR........Have been using the same 200W inverter for MANY years now.....It goes from the TV to the trailer depending on what we need........Sometimes to power the laptop as we drive, OFTEN to power a television in the backseat along with a DVD player, charge camera or other equipment batteries (often it is left in the trailer doing this as we drive), and on and on...........

While boondocking the noise of a QUALITY genset, Honda 3000 (don't really understand about why folks limit themselves to the 2000; but that's another thread), is easily brought down to NO noise by how far away it is placed or even left in the TV with the truck pointed away from the trailer. Have even left the genset MANY times right next to the trailer and it just becomes background noise with the AC fan totally covering that..........

When quiet times in the campground are called for either from being the curfew or a tent person next door, the inverter is pulled out and it will run our 27" LCD for 3 hours at least with the battery indicator dropping down to 3/4. That leaves us plenty of power til the next morning to run 2 fantastic fans, the water pump, a reading light for many hours, and as much other lighting as is necessary through the night.........Yes, even the outdoor spot accidentally left on............

Anyway, experience has shown that just because you are off the grid, way back in there, there is NO need to forget about MOST of the necessities that we have been ingrained to NEED............Dennis
Old 06-08-2008, 02:38 AM   #91
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
I took an approach with my setup that I haven't seen anyone else do in an AS. I used a distribution box to run signal from a DVD Recorder with a built-in HD tuner to a 23" LCD TV mounted on the bedroom wall, a smaller 20" LCD sitting in the living room, and a set of cables that come out inside the battery door so I can take either TV outside the trailer when the weather is nice. I have one extra output on the distribution box and came really close to putting a 7" monitor in the bathroom as a bit of a joke. I decided it was just wasteful overkill and there was no easy way to run the wiring anyway. Besides, the "Airstream millionaire" preconceptions are bad enough without me pulling up in a campground looking like an episode of MTV Cribs.(I'd have to figure out a way to mount 20" wheels on the trailer and replace the shower with a hot tub!) The 23" TV has its own tuner, so two people can watch different programs, or a DVD movie can be shown on both TVs at once. The 23" TV normally hangs in my kitchen when I'm not travelling and the 20" sits in the guest bedroom. That way, they sort of serve as a dual purpose investment.
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
2001 GMC 3500 4x4 Dually 6.6L Duramax
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:34 AM   #92
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We were able to mount a 23" Samsung on the wall behind the dinette in our 28" International. Moved the 15" to the bedroom. This was done in February, but so far, so good. I particularly like the clamp which holds the 23" in place when moving.

Jack Hornbeck, Norfolk, VA
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 08:27 AM   #93
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We installed a 23" Samsung LCD on the wall behind the dinette in our 28' Int'l.. Fits just fine and like the clamp system on the mount that holds the tv in place. The 15" "stock" tv was moved into the bedroom where it too, fits just fine.

Jack
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:31 PM   #94
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
I'm going to miss analog...
Images today are to sharp and show way too much.
Tough to fall asleep while watching.
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:33 PM   #95
2 Rivet Member

1987 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Blowing Rock , North Carolina
flat panel

We have 2 flat panel TV's in our 34 ft. and have not had a problem traveling with them. The one in the living area is sitting on its own stand with a small bungee that holds it there in travel. The other one is in the bedroom mounted on the wall. During travel, we remove it from the wall and place it on the sofa. They both work fine, and we enjoy having them when we want to watch.
ClayandPerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:44 PM   #96
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Here's my two cents. I mounted a Polaroid 19" flat panel HD TV/DVD on the bulkhead wall between the refrigerator and the bed. (It's up high). I used a Peerless mount that swivels so the screen can be seen from the bed or the dinette. I use a 2" wide velcro strap to strap it to the spice rack type shelf above the refrigerator when traveling. The reason I purchased the Polaroid was that it is a 12 volt system. (It comes with an inline transformer for 115v. use. I have a cigarette plug that I got from Radio Shack that plugs it into the 12 volt recepticle above the foot of the bed. This way I don't waste the battery power running the invertor. When the trailer is plugged into shore power the 115v is converted into 12 for that recepticle. BTW I bought the TV from Target for $329. I think it looks cool...it is all black.
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #97
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
Can we get some more photos of wall mounts? I want to put a TV on the bedroom wall of a 2005 Safari (the wall that separates the bedroom from the dinette). I'd love to see more of your setups, or if there is already a thread, I'll keep digging. So far I'm leaning toward one of these, but I haven't seen it in person yet. I might also drop by the local airstream dealer to see how the factory does it, but I don't think they usually put them in the bedroom...

Toshiba 19LV506 19" LCD HDTV with built-in DVD player (white) at Crutchfield.com
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 09:48 AM   #98
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Loganville , Georgia
I have a 19" with a wall mount I bought off e-bay. I have my sound running through my aux on my car radio I installed. It sounds awesome.

Lothlorian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0086.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	71679  
Old 11-23-2008, 09:52 AM   #99
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
I mounted a 19" Samsung on a swivel so it can be viewed from the bedroom or from the living room.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Flatscreen 002.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	71683   Click image for larger version

Name:	Flatscreen 003.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	71684  

Name:	Flatscreen 004.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	71685  
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 10:08 AM   #100
2 Rivet Member

2005 22' Safari
San Juan Capistrano , California
Awesome people, thanks. Can we see the other side where the bolts protrude?

And here is another thread:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ion-14924.html
grantb4 is offline   Reply With Quote