Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2021, 09:49 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Finally time to ditch Directv?

Have had Directv for years. It was very nice to have the 14 summers I worked in Yellowstone as there were no TV/Radio signals where I worked and minimal cell coverage.

Having moved on in my NPS wanderings, I now find myself using local broadcast stations coupled with Hotspot streaming more often than not.

So, I’m thinking I dump Directv ($113 a Month) and pick up Hulu with live TV ($70 a month) and I no longer have to lug around the antenna and cable. (I have the hardware to convert to monthly Dish if i was to find myself out in the boonies again)

What down side am I overlooking?
Dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
I have had good luck with Dish pay as you go.
Buy good antenna I went through 2 tailgate one in less than 2 years then bought good one.
jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 12:49 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2021 33FB Classic
Cumming , Georgia
We’ve had ATT (Now) TV with AppleTV for years at the house. We installed an AppleTV in the AS - either grab internet from AS, campground or off my hotspot on my phone. Then we have all apps in the rig as we do at the house including DVR shows from ATT TV.

We’ve had no issues but we haven’t boondocked yet. We’ve always had a good signal.

That will be the weakness in our setup but if we can’t watch tv - I’m good with that. That’s why Spotify was created. HA!
WBCCI# 8026
AnnaBelle33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 01:15 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are not using it, dump it. There is no upside to a service you don't use

Indeed, if the comparison was a $300 a month cable bill vs $113 for Dish then that's a bit different. We spend about $100 a year on streaming services.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:02 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tallahassee , Florida
Dumped Directv 6 month ago, went with FUBO tv, 65.00 a month.

Down side: Internet signal is not alway available.

I use antenna point app for finding over the air channels.
Omega Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2021, 03:21 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
The jury seems unanimous. Thanks all.
Dismissive cat
n2916s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2021 25' Flying Cloud
Fredericktown , Ohio
Thanks for the tips.
WBCCI #6826
We have Year-Round Courtesy Parking.
MMCMRET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:13 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Pacifica , California
One thing I would add, after trying all the streaming services for live TV, have liked YouTubeTV the best. Streams with best quality, best interface, unlimited DVR. And if you have TMobile you can get $10/off the monthly price.

The good thing is that none of them require a contract so you can try them all and pick the one you like best.
fraslin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2004 22' International CCD
Cleveland , Oklahoma
This Airstreamer is streaming now.

Had DirectTV for 8 years. It just got more and more expensive...paying over $200 in the end. All streaming now, with YouTubeTV being the best, IMHO. Add Netflix, Amazon, etc. to taste and budget. Caveat: the faster the internet, the better (luckily, I have fiber).
MySovereign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:33 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1964 30' Sovereign
Ione , CA
We recently left DirecTV and moved to Dish. Far better user interfaces and selections...at a lower overall cost. Their interface is superior (in my opinion) for incorporating other streaming services into the same dashboard (including Netflix, YouTube, etc.). Also, if you're an Amazon Prime shopping member Dish allows you to access for free all the Amazon Prime movies and series shows.

Their Dish Anywhere (a slight upgrade on the home router) feature allows full functionality on any device's WiFi connectivity. This includes use of a cell hot spot when WiFi connectivity is lacking.
Trowbridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 09:49 AM   #11
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
I ditched DTV a long time ago. I had the automatic dish on top of my previous AS19. I rarely get zero cell reception, so streaming on FireStick was my goto.

With Starlink looming around the corner, I can't imagine why people would keep Dish or DTV. Streaming services are so inexpensive now, and you can cancel anytime.
WBCCI 9164
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:02 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
Inexpensive entertainment w/caveats

Hulu with Live is certainly a better option than Directv in terms of cost, but if you want to save even more, might I suggest Philo?

The pros: Philo has the popular cable stations I want, has DVR and it $20 a month. If you're adept with hotspots and streaming, this would be a VERY inexpensive option. My husband is the techie, so this is not a problem for us to watch "TV" on a big screen by tapping into a laptop.

That being said, we also have Roku--which carries Philo--so don't ask me how we watch the things we watch; that's my husband's realm! Philo's homepage is convenient for adding things to your queue--so much easier than clicking around with a remote control.

The cons: while you can watch live streams of the cable stations available thru Philo, there's no live local TV, and if that's a must for you, you may have to continue with antenna.

HOWEVER, one point to make about that: if you only want local for local news, well that's easily remedied with finding the local stations online and streaming their local broadcast. I like to watch the news from home when I'm on the road, so I pop on my hometown's news online. Also, if you like CNN or Fox, there are stations online currently streaming them for free!

Finally, we also have Prime. We were paying $200 a month for our (home) cable service, and since cutting the cord, we pay half of that with our (home) internet, plus Philo, plus per/mo averaging the annual cost of Prime and one other news-based streaming service, I really feel we've got a great mix of entertainment sources that fit our needs at a huge savings per year.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!
1000Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 11:36 AM   #13
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Camping World had a deal where you buy a Dish Tailgater and get the receiver for free, and Dish is offering some deals as well for new sign-ups. The problem with Apple TV and all the other streaming systems is you need a good wifi signal or cell signal.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 12:27 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Camping World had a deal where you buy a Dish Tailgater and get the receiver for free, and Dish is offering some deals as well for new sign-ups. The problem with Apple TV and all the other streaming systems is you need a good wifi signal or cell signal.
If you have Direct TV at your home, the cost for the Air Stream should only be $5 a month for every channel package as your home. They furnish the box, but you have to furnish the dish.
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2021, 10:20 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' Flying Cloud
INDIAN HARBOUR BEACH , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1000Miles View Post
Hulu with Live is certainly a better option than Directv in terms of cost, but if you want to save even more, might I suggest Philo?

The pros: Philo has the popular cable stations I want, has DVR and it $20 a month. If you're adept with hotspots and streaming, this would be a VERY inexpensive option. My husband is the techie, so this is not a problem for us to watch "TV" on a big screen by tapping into a laptop.

That being said, we also have Roku--which carries Philo--so don't ask me how we watch the things we watch; that's my husband's realm! Philo's homepage is convenient for adding things to your queue--so much easier than clicking around with a remote control.

The cons: while you can watch live streams of the cable stations available thru Philo, there's no live local TV, and if that's a must for you, you may have to continue with antenna.

HOWEVER, one point to make about that: if you only want local for local news, well that's easily remedied with finding the local stations online and streaming their local broadcast. I like to watch the news from home when I'm on the road, so I pop on my hometown's news online. Also, if you like CNN or Fox, there are stations online currently streaming them for free!

Finally, we also have Prime. We were paying $200 a month for our (home) cable service, and since cutting the cord, we pay half of that with our (home) internet, plus Philo, plus per/mo averaging the annual cost of Prime and one other news-based streaming service, I really feel we've got a great mix of entertainment sources that fit our needs at a huge savings per year.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!
When online, try LOCAST for "free" local channels. While it is "free," it pauses the show with a commercial to donate to the "free" service.
PC Conner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2021, 01:23 PM   #16
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I've been Dish for some years but the price has skyrocketed and the selections are diminishing. No HBO for a couple of years now, and recently they just cut off Regional Sports - for me that means no Nats, no VCU basketball, no nothing but whatever ESPN chooses to show.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 10:59 AM   #17

Goldsboro , Arizona
StarLink

StarLink internet will be available nationwide within a couple of years. This will be a game changer. You will be able to use your home wifi everywhere you go so long as you have an antenna. You will still need to pick a content provider.
Fortemd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:28 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
Boerne , Texas
I'll speak to the service aspect, Satellite Dish vs Broadband Streaming (your choice of what service to pick). Dish - you point your dish at a satellite at each location and use your set-top-box to get your subscribed content. Turn on and watch, change channels, etc... Streaming, you simply need a broadband to access your service (or a good telephony service LTE/4G/5G...) or use your cell phone. Wireless BB is usually provided at campsites, getting it into your Faraday cage (the AS) takes some extra steps - but is doable. Same with tethering to your cell phone. With a smart phone, you can "mirror" what's on your phone to your TV (meaning, you can place your phone by the window where you get the best cell service, select your content you want to watch on your phone, and mirror that to the TV for viewing). OR you can use your phone as a hot-spot and connect your smart TV to the cellular network via your phone, and connect to your streaming service (HULU for example). TVs usually don't have a keyboard attached, so you must use the on-screen keyboard and your remote control to drive that connection and content selection - ugly and frustrating. BUT, you can attach a bluetooth keyboard to some smart TVs which makes it simple - but is that simple now that it's all hi-tech? But, if you're savy and patient enough, it's doable. Now, your streaming video experience is a whole different reality than DTV. For example, EVERY time you want to watch something, you have to connect your TV to your service, go through their many steps to select the content (show), and then you often get disruptions during viewing. No more turn off the TV and it's where you last left it "in your content" when you turn it back on... Anyway, those are my thoughts. It's doable, costs less, and provides you video enjoyment - if you understand all the steps and are patient enough. I think the Antenna TV is the simplest. JMHO. Happy Camping!
maroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2021, 11:52 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

Cincinnati , Ohio
The only downside I see is the root assumption that sufficient bandwidth will be available wherever you go and whenever you want it. I would offer the option as a consideration of using Dish’s RV option. It allows you to have a no contract service that you can activate and deactivate at your discretion. The costs stop and start as you see fit. The only caveat is to not confuse Dish RV with regular Dish. Regular Dish will “pause” your service for a $5 monthly fee so be intentional when looking in the RV version of Dish. Having Dish affords you the flexibility to have the best of both worlds no matter where you are.
jwpaquette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2021, 11:01 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pugetropolis , Washington
I can't say that I've found a need to have much more TV than an occasional DVD or on air TV in the Airstream. I try and stick with music to keep my travels enjoyable. The options for TV programming are crazy diverse and most seem to have some serious downsides to go with the freedoms. Just a word concerning DirecTV in specific. I have had their service for 12+ years at home. I had to change from Dish to get HD service where I live. I thought Dish was great but DirecTV was far superior. Then the AT&T Death Star purchased DirecTV and now...well, as long as you don't need anything in the way of customer service, it isn't too bad. The cost can become outrageous. I have a fair sized channel offering and require my HBO and Showtime, needing no additional sports packages. It would easily run $135 plus per month. I spend less than $90. If you are getting gouged and have been with them a while, hold your nose, call and ask/demand to talk to a customer loyalty representative. They will tell you that they all are but the real ones are US based. They can check for promotions that are constantly offered, usually for a 6 month time frame, so it takes 2 calls a year to save close to $50 a month on service, depending on what you want to subscribe to. Is it a hassle? Minor inconvenience considering the savings. A couple of years ago, after promising not to give it out, a loyalty rep gave me a direct 800 number to the US based customer loyalty department. If you get to them, ask if you can have that number for the future. It cuts the frustration factor of dealing with AT&T by more than half.
AL13 is offline   Reply With Quote