Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-01-2015, 02:19 PM   #21
Keen amature

1975 20' Argosy 20
Chestfield , Kent
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
Do you use the chromecast much? I have one but it's still in the box!
I only use the Chromecast for casting (not surprisingly) video from a remote source (for example my laptop) onto the TV, when I don't want to save it to the home network, sync the local drive on the Q190.....Chrome does have a nice (hidden feature?) whereby you can start Chrome hit <CTL><o> and open and play an media file, and cast onto the TV. But it is via WiFi so does suffer normal wireless network speed issues.

There really are so many ways to do the same thing now, that much of this is personal preference, and having made the time investment to do everything from the home network/using iTunes, then when we expend any node (for example add the media system in the Argosy) then getting another Q190 is a no-brainer.

The plus is I have my entire music collection, my entire photo album and a very large subset of video media (the home network drives are matched 8Tb drives, the local drives are 2Tb WD passports, so I don't carry everything) wherever I travel.
martin300662 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:17 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2013 27' FB International
El Dorado Hills , California
I used the Audials program to screen capture Netflix. It does it at high resolution to a compact mp4 file. I will copy 8 or 10 movies onto a USB stick and insert that directly into the Samsung TV in the trailer to watch later. Periodically delete and replace the movies on the USB stick.
kscherzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 08:22 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
So many great options. Rich, so the player will play TS format?
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 09:22 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
I'm In , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
So many great options. Rich, so the player will play TS format?
Rich... me??? or another Rich?

In case you mean me, the media player I use (Brite-View) plays a lot of different formats, but it's no longer available. (I'm not familiar with TS format.) I checked Amazon and Brite-view has a different model now. Q&A from readers is that it doesn't play .iso files but it does play many others. There are other media players available, you just need to research to find the one that fits your needs. Here's the current Brite-View model:
Amazon.com: brite-View Playtime (BV-3100) 1080p HD Multimedia Player - white: Electronics
2004 4Runner SE 4.7L V8
Rich W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 07:49 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Yes,thank you.
Old 06-02-2015, 08:06 AM   #26
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
Quote:
I'm thinking that since I need to rip, save, sync, the lazy way for the AS is to just burn to a DVD, stick them in a wallet case and leave them in there for whenever. I have not really explored streaming to the AS since most parks have awful download speeds and reliability. Do you use the chromecast much? I have one but it's still in the box!
This is what I do (have been doing for years!) I have about 100 DVDRs with about 4 movies on each. This makes it easy to stick into the Blurray player.

I also have a fun option that is a little more complex but worth reading about..

At home I run "Plex.tv" (FREE!) as a media center on a mac mini hooked up to my TV. On my iPad I have the Plex app running (this cost a few bucks). I can then sync from my 9TB Plex library any movies/TV shows to the iPad.

In the airstream, I have a HDMI switch and I connect the blu ray player and my apple TV to it. I have a wireless access point (some cheap TP link!)

I can play anything on the iPad that i synced with plex and stream that locally to the apple tv. No internet needed.

Now, in the rare occurrence that I do have good internet, I can also stream from anywhere in the world from my home plex server to my iPad and display that via apple tv on the TV.

But most of the time, I just use the DVDr binder stashed under the dinette I have every James Bond movie on there, always a solid back up play
Old 06-02-2015, 12:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
So many great options, so little time (and money). But, hopefully time for more research. There are new technologies that I didn't know existed. I thought I had a fairly advanced understanding of video, home theater and portable devices, now I find that I have so much more to learn.

Thanks to everyone. ...
Old 06-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #28
3 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Long Beach , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
In the airstream, I have a HDMI switch and I connect the blu ray player and my apple TV to it. I have a wireless access point (some cheap TP link!)

I can play anything on the iPad that i synced with plex and stream that locally to the apple tv. No internet needed.
I'm curious about a few things:

1. I have a spare mac mini that I plan to load up with my ripped movies/tv shows and leave in the airstream. Is there a way to control it from my ipad/iphone via bluetooth or does it have to be wifi? I control my appletv with the phone/ipad

2. If it has to be a wifi connection, will a basic router (I have an extra lying around) work, regardless of internet? I presume it still establishes its own network

3. If the answer to #2 above is yes, can I also stream from my phone? I have unlimited data and sometimes streaming is easier than connecting my phone to the TV via the HDMI adapter.

Thanks!!!
LBOskiBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 03:07 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Easiest route is a mac mini and an external drive, and yes, there is software you can buy that will record streaming content.

Usually though, I'll tell ya, we hit used DVD stores like crazy, buy up a bunch of old tv series or whatever and then keep trading them forward.

However, I have been working on a mac mini config
Old 06-02-2015, 03:51 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
1. Not sure. I use rowmote and I think that is wifi only
2. Yes, for sure. I bought a cheap tplink from Amazon for $35 for this purpose! It can use a 4g modem too!
3. Maybe, would be more complex as you probably need to set up your router as a repeater/ bridge. May as well just use the phone as a hotspot at that point I think.
Old 09-19-2015, 09:15 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
Very interesting thread. For years I have copied movies from my Dish 722K receiver on to DVD's. Recently purchased the Dish Tailgator with the 211K receiver. Thought I was home free. Purchased an external storage device and copied all my saved movies from the 722K (in house receiver) onto it.
Well, the external storage cannot be used with another Dish receiver. The movies I had saved on my house receiver cannot be viewed through another receiver.

I can't think of another method to eliminate a bunch of DVD's. Yes, I did upgrade the trail receiver unit to a DVR but I can only record one program at a time and the TV and receiver have to left on or the recording will stop.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2015, 11:58 AM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2001 25' Safari
Ridgefield , Washington
Our television has a built in DVD player. I buy previously viewed DVDs at used record and book stores. I take the DVDs out of the jackets and store them in a Case Logic binder. When we travel, I take the binder and we can choose from our entire library of movies, currently more than 200. If we get tired of a movie, just trade it in for a credit on a new one.
Nomad518 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 01:40 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
The latest model of the AppleTV will allow you to use Airplay from your ipad without the need for a router or Internet. We usually load the ipad with a couple seasons of whatever TV show we want to watch in case of rain. I have permanently attached the AppleTV's to the back of the TV's and wired them up. Works great and you don't have to run any cables or anything to watch something.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:02 PM   #34
1 Rivet Member

2016 16' Sport
Harrisburg , Pennsylvania
You can now download movies or tv shows from amazon prime to your ipad or iphone. I am not certain, but I think you may be able to hook them up to your tv via HDMI cable. I am going to try that this weekend! I'll report back on what happened.
Bewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:19 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Thanks for sharing. I'll probably put my Gen2 ATV in our Airstream eventually when its time to upgrade it.

Currently, I rip rental DVDs via Handbrake and store in my home Mac's external hard drive. I also import them into iTunes. My wife has an old iPad 2 and I can sync movies to it then use the 30pin to HDMI adapter and connect the iPad to the Airstream's TV HDMI. I have an iPad Air but don't have the newer Lightning/HDMI adapter so I copy over a few movies to my MacBook Air and using the Thunderbolt/HDMI adapter and HDMI cable to the TV, I play movies from the MacBook Air using VLC.

Kelvin
Old 09-22-2015, 02:28 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Thanks for sharing. I'll probably put my Gen2 ATV in our Airstream eventually when its time to upgrade it.

Kelvin
If you want to use Airplay without having to set up a LAN in your AS make sure you use the AppleTV3 - details on the Youtube link I posted above

Old 09-22-2015, 02:37 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Airplay with no net?! Ooooooo! Intriguing.
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 02:50 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
If you want to use Airplay without having to set up a LAN in your AS make sure you use the AppleTV3 - details on the Youtube link I posted above
My Gen2 ATV will Airplay my MacBook Air and iPad to my home TV but I guess that's because they are both on the LAN. All my devices are on IOS 8. Maybe I should buy a ATV3 before the new model comes out.

Looks like there were two version of ATV 3, model A1427 and A1469. A1469 is what you need to do peer to peer Airplay. Look for the Apple TV introduced in 2013, that's the A1469. A1427 was a 2012 model.

Kelvin
Old 09-22-2015, 07:42 PM   #39
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Yes Hoobie - nothing but the iphone/pad and the ATV3 is needed for Airplay.

KJ - yes the A1469 - most anywhere retail you are sure to get the correct model. The new model coming out will also probably work but right now the ATV3 is only $65 bucks at Best Buy. Besides the new model will be App based and will be overkill if you are just looking for the Peer to Peer function.

Old 09-22-2015, 08:01 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Chilhowie , Virginia
Wow. Thanks. 😊
Hoobiedoobie is offline   Reply With Quote