Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2016, 05:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
howell , Michigan
Digital TV signal finder

Looking at the king sure lock sl1000

Is it worth the $25-$30 bucks, anyone on here use a digital TV signal finder? Does it really help locating a better signal?

Thanks
larry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 08:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Mine works fine and is helpful when I am on the edge of a reception area. If your tv has a signal strength meter on one of the menu pages, that will work just as well.

Mike
Dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2016, 11:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
We use this PC program to locate the broadcast television antennas (map shows antenna direction and distance). However, you need to know the address or zip code for where you are camped: AntennaWeb.org
Phoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:52 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Lin , Ne
And you need to know which way to point your antenna before you auto search for channels on your tv.
Old 03-14-2016, 04:57 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
howell , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Mine works fine and is helpful when I am on the edge of a reception area. If your tv has a signal strength meter on one of the menu pages, that will work just as well.

Mike
Thanks all, didn't know this is a option on some tv' going to check my tv first.

Thanks
larry b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 06:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I've used this one for several years for the phone. Uses GPS and works pretty well....until you have no cell signal. A handheld compass is needed to orient yourself.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...per.free&hl=en

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:20 AM   #7
TinCan

2016 30' Classic
Apache Junction , Arizona
I am using the Rayzar antenna from Winegard. So far so good. Actually with this antenna I have been able to get good local channels on my Airstream for the first time. Previous stock antenna's for me were pretty useless.
Old 03-14-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 23' FB International
Woodstock , Ontario
The search function on my old TV picks up even weak digital channels but you still need to re orient the antenna for a few channels that won't display or come in fuzzy or pixelated, and then bring it back when you change channels again. First thing you do is look at where everyone else is pointing...unless there is only you! Then I start with the unit aligned as it first comes up then try rotating 90 degrees and back until I zero in on good signals.....have to admit a signal strength indicator would be helpful.
I have an original Winegard without the digital add-on booster
JCW
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 11:21 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
The above app tells you the direction from which the signals come. Then just use a handheld compass and orient yourself and your antenna to that direction. Easy peasy!

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 03-14-2016, 01:21 PM   #10
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
The above app tells you the direction from which the signals come. Then just use a handheld compass and orient yourself and your antenna to that direction. Easy peasy!
My handheld compass is my iPhone.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 01:58 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by markdoane View Post
My handheld compass is my iPhone.
That's fine...it's still in your hand! Seriously, you only have to point the antenna roughly in the same direction that the majority of the signals come from. The app clearly shows that. It's not rocket surgery nor brain science!

Old 03-14-2016, 02:06 PM   #12
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
If you use "TV Towers USA" app the compass is buit in and all you need to do is rotate your phone so the pointer is pointed at the tower (or network) you want and then align your antenna with the iPhone.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:58 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Crowley , Texas
I have a pair of ball-shaped compasses, the kind that float in water, suction cupped to the ceiling, along with a quality pocket compass. I refer to them after I begun cursing the compass app on my windows phone if it takes more than one placement of the dish to find the direct tv satellite signal in the southern sky. Once the dish is aimed, it makes for another easy reference for aiming the terrestrial antenna. If only I didn't have to guess where to aim it. Sadly, there doesn't seem to be a windows app that lists the local station antenna locations. Curse the luck.
TopGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote