Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2007, 08:51 AM   #1

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Digital TV

I just got an interesting email yesterday from Camping World. They are selling a digital receiver that is capable of interconnecting with analog TV's. Supposedly it's compatible with the current version of Winegard Batwing antennas that Airstream has been supplying for the past few years.

Here is the link. Winegard Digital HD Receiver - Camping World

I think by 2009 the broadcast analog TV as we know it will end and you will need to get a converter or replace the TV. Now if you have cable or satellite you should be ok for the foreseeable future since they will not be required to change their output to your TV. Supposedly by March 2007 no more analog TV's will be produced although it will probably be some time before current analog inventories are sold out.

Supposedly Winegard also has a new batwing head that is more attuned to receiving digital TV signals although the Camping World video does note that the current batwings can receive the signals also.

I'm not sure how many stations have actually turned on to digital at this point, especially out in the more rural areas. I know here in STL all the stations have digital signals at this point. My only question would be how good the reception would be. With digital you have it or you don't, so while you won't get the typical fade in and out and fuzziness that you see in analog today, I would guess that a weak digital signal will cause pixelation or possibly seeing a picture freeze now and then. I'm also curious as to how easy the signals will propagate. Or will those remote campsites that pick up analog today, still pick up a digital?

I'll be interested in anyone who decides to spring for one of these Winegard converters. Let us know how it turns out!

Regards,

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:11 AM   #2
_

. , .
hi jack...

interesting product. if i understand the function it allows one to catch digital broadcasts over the air?

early adaption on the tv side is rarely as rewarding as computers.

while this gadget may allow one to recieve an hd broadcast, most rv teles are still analog display so picture doesn't really improve for the viewer as i understand it.

even the newer lcds are hd ready (mostly) and need an add on for their full potential. this thing is only about the antenna reception/signal right?

then there is the issue of screen size; under 20 inches with current lcd resolution, does hd really look better? i've had hd cable connected to mine. while it was better than plane jane analog broadcast...

it wasn't better by much on a 19.

2009 is a long way off 4 video/tv technology; especially the potential broadcast options. i expect we will have cellular tele broadcast by then and quick easy downloads to a hard drive far beyond current tivo....

so i think i'll wait on this, but i'd sure like to see one in action...

as a side note i'm amazed at the bat wing reception (except in deep spots)and the boost button really does boost!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2007, 10:51 AM   #3

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2airishuman
hi jack...

interesting product. if i understand the function it allows one to catch digital broadcasts over the air?

early adaption on the tv side is rarely as rewarding as computers.

while this gadget may allow one to recieve an hd broadcast, most rv teles are still analog display so picture doesn't really improve for the viewer as i understand it.

even the newer lcds are hd ready (mostly) and need an add on for their full potential. this thing is only about the antenna reception/signal right?

then there is the issue of screen size; under 20 inches with current lcd resolution, does hd really look better? i've had hd cable connected to mine. while it was better than plane jane analog broadcast...

it wasn't better by much on a 19.

2009 is a long way off 4 video/tv technology; especially the potential broadcast options. i expect we will have cellular tele broadcast by then and quick easy downloads to a hard drive far beyond current tivo....

so i think i'll wait on this, but i'd sure like to see one in action...

as a side note i'm amazed at the bat wing reception (except in deep spots)and the boost button really does boost!

cheers
2air'
As far as I was concerned the only improvement assuming I continue to use the same display equipment, is the lack of ghosting and snow in the picture.

I guess my thinking is that my plans are not to invest in replacing my TV's in the trailer. The fact that I could improve the picture quality now (although not to digital tv standards), and be compliant by 2009 has some merit. I know there will be other tuners that will be or already are on the market. The fact that this is a Winegard and they state that the bat wing we have will work, makes me wonder as to whether their converter would perform better with their antenna than someone else's.

I'm not jumping quite yet since I would love to have some others be the early adopters of this technology to fleece out the issues.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
The picture quaility it the real winner here. IF you can get a digital signal of sufficient strength, you will have the same picture quality of those recieving only a few miles away from the transmitter. It will be crystal clear. The downside of this is that if you don't have sufficient signal, you won't see ANYTHING.

But 2air is right; the increase of display resolution will pretty much be lost on the smaller displays.

Personaly, I'd rather spend the money on a USB HDTV tuner (EyeTV Hybris or other) for your Mac or Windows laptop. You can always send a DVI-D signal from the laptop to your LCD display if it's not large enough.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote