Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 09:06 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Hudson , Quebec
Question Dealer wants to install a Furrion backup camera on 2018 sport?

Hey everyone,

Just ordered a 2018 22fb for delivery in a couple weeks. The salesman talked me out of getting the backup camera, but I now realize I'd be more comfortable with one.

I know new Airstreams are pre-wired to use Voyager cameras. For some reason, the dealer only installs Furrion brand cameras, which seems odd. They are also selling them around 40% more than on Amazon.

Two questions:

1) Is it difficult to install a Voyager backup camera if there is a pre-wire? I.E is there a socket to receive the camera already, or do I need to make holes in the shell etc?.

2) Speaking of holes, I'm a little concerned that if I use the Furrion option, the dealer is going to have to make extra holes because they are installing a non Voyager camera.

I did a bunch of searching, but can only find examples of people installing them on non pre-wired Airstreams.

thanks in advance!
Cvinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:00 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Midland , Michigan
I had a Furrion on my old trailer, and the Voyager on my new Airstream. I like the Voyager much better. The screen for the Furrion was too small to be of much use. I don't know anything about the install of the Voyager, mine came with it factory installed. I installed the Furrion on my old trailer that was pre-wired for a Furrion, and it was very simple. Plug the plug into the socket and screw the camera onto the mounting bracket.
azeeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:10 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
You have met the worlds only honest salesman.

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 10:34 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2018 22' Sport
Hudson , Quebec
Quote:
Originally Posted by azeeb View Post
I had a Furrion on my old trailer, and the Voyager on my new Airstream. I like the Voyager much better. The screen for the Furrion was too small to be of much use. I don't know anything about the install of the Voyager, mine came with it factory installed. I installed the Furrion on my old trailer that was pre-wired for a Furrion, and it was very simple. Plug the plug into the socket and screw the camera onto the mounting bracket.
Thanks. I guess I'm hoping that installing a Voyager is the same process. Need confirmation on that though...
Cvinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 11:24 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The install/pre-wire should be exactly the same regardless if you get a Voyager brand or Furrion brand.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
I've used both, both work decent, I do like the Furrion because it does not take too much windshield space. Install should almost the same, no worries.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Gaithersburg , Maryland
I don't know about the rest of you, but I cannot see the left and right ends of the bumper, or far enough behind me when traveling. I have considered raising the camera position with an extension to expand the view.

Steve
2017 23FB
cstevecook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
The camera angle on the mount should be adjustable.
Mine does not have the bumper in view at all, but way past the bumper.
Adjusting the angle down is on my to-do list so I can know when to stop in relation to where the bumper is.
I also want to see pretty far behind me.
I think this can be achieved if I have less Sky in my view. Half of the view is sky currently.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-23-2017, 06:59 PM   #9

2018 16' Sport
Seattle , Washington
Camera

Get a quote for their hourly shop rate on the install and buy the camera online. The dealer markup for some items can approach 75-100%. I'm happy with my Voyager camera. The trailer is pre-wired for the power and the mount is fairly simple so it should be an easy install.
Andrewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:20 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Safari
Montgomery , Texas
With regard to the dealer markup-- he's warranting the item if he supplies it. It stops working, you call the dealer. Simple and straightforward. He's got to build that cost in. If you supply the part, he should be off the hook if it's a defective unit. Unfortunately, he's not. Because we, as the end user, are convinced it must have something to do with his installation procedures, and the dealer needs to make it right. So just his shop rate for installing it is very likely inadequate to cover his exposure to risk. A candid discussion of responsibility sounds in order, your sales rep sounds like a good person to deal with. Surely not the only way to look at the issue, but something to consider.
DaveMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #11
Cloudland2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Trenton , Georgia
Voyager

When we picked up our FC25 at Tampa RV in 2016, I decided I wanted to add a Voyager. I drove less than a mile from the dealer and bought the unit on sale for $499.00 from Camping World. We were spending the night at the dealer and the next day they installed the unit for $120.00. They drilled a hole, connected it I think to the rear clearance lights power supply and sealed it up. Looked good and have had no issues thus far. When I turn on headlights or parking lights the monitor gives me a good view. I agree that the angle set is not perfect. I think the camera's extreme wide angle makes it impossible to see clearly what's coming up beyond maybe 100 yards. Even so, I feel much more comfortable with it than without it as my side mirrors just don't give me much warning when someone races up behind and then quickly goes around me on the interstate. My truck's blind spot indicator is deactivated when you tow the trailer. Newer F150s I think have corrected this deficiency.

Dave
davidrrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 07:19 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
Yesterday I changed the angle of my rear view camera.
Now I have the rear bumper in view on the screen and I know when/where to stop when backing onto a camping pad.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 08-26-2017, 08:01 AM   #13
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvinson View Post

I know new Airstreams are pre-wired to use Voyager cameras. For some reason, the dealer only installs Furrion brand cameras, which seems odd. They are also selling them around 40% more than on Amazon.nstalling a non Voyager camera.

I did a bunch of searching, but can only find examples of people installing them on non pre-wired Airstreams.
People only install them in non-prewired Airstreams, because there is no specific wiring in them for backup cameras. Every single Airstream trailer has to have a hole drilled in the center segment, and a backup camera hard-wired into the trailer's existing running light wiring. That includes Voyager.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:20 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Sorry Terry, the Lewster method precludes the need for any holes. Just used it for my Intellihaul installation. You remove the center rear marker light, tap in to the wires(solder), heat shrink, file the base with a round file to allow feeding the new wires out the bottom and seal everything. The camera is mounted with VHB tape and Sikaflex, the wires led to it. Presto, no new holes and should work for any powered rear camera.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:24 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1987 32' Excella
Nepean , Ontario
Last March when we were at the Escapade in Tucson AZ, we won an RF back-up camera https://tuson-rv-brakes-llc.myshopif...-camera-system and on the way home we had it installed at JC. The installation was to drill a small hole above the running lights and to tap into the wire power the running lights to power the back-up cam - so it just requires switching on the running lights to send the signal to the receiver. Personally, I like it.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500HD Diesel
WBCCI 8080
blkmagikca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 08:54 AM   #16
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
Sorry Terry, the Lewster method precludes the need for any holes. Just used it for my Intellihaul installation. You remove the center rear marker light, tap in to the wires(solder), heat shrink, file the base with a round file to allow feeding the new wires out the bottom and seal everything. The camera is mounted with VHB tape and Sikaflex, the wires led to it. Presto, no new holes and should work for any powered rear camera.

Larry
Still not "pre-wired", which was my point...
Old 08-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

I missed your point but I would guess the prewire is two power wires tucked behind the skin. Does the prewire provide a separate hole with a weather-proof plug at delivery? Must the new owner drill it and seal it if using the pre-wire? The pre-wire is a nice feature but it only would have saved me about 30 minutes. I would rather have had a winterizing manifold in the water pump inlet from the factory. That was more of a chore to install.

Larry
Old 08-26-2017, 10:14 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
I do not understand the reluctance of so many owners to have a hole drilled on their trailers. AS drilled at least a dozen!
It's a simple matter to do it and seal it. So what? Do you imagine that the camera installer will take LESS CARE than the AS assembly-line? How could that ever be possible.
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 10:35 AM   #19
Rivet Master

No question that with proper care holes are no big deal. But, I did not like putting holes in my boat and I do not like putting holes in my Airstream. I do not like needles in my arm, either. I have had to endure all 3.
Larry