Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
2012 27' FB International
Mary Esther , Florida
Confounded!!

I have a 2012 International Sig 27 FB CCD that I'm having trouble with cable reception on the main TV. The bedroom TV has good cable reception but main TV doesn't. Was wondering if there happens to be a splitter in this system and if so where its located. I found one splitter behind the amplifier, but it is in the DVD system. One cable was loose on it and cleared a problem with that. Just hoping there is another splitter in the cable system???

Thanks
Bob
Old 04-17-2013, 09:43 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2011 27 FB International
Keswick , Ontario
Check your power antenna switch. Should be in the unpowered state when hooked up to cable. Should be left of the tv on the wall.
Mifair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
Power amplifier is off. Bedroom TV works fine on cable. Living room area TV does not. Just wondered if there was a splitter that could have a loose connection...
Old 04-18-2013, 06:12 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Run a jumper from the working TV connection to the non working TV. this will tell you if yo have the TV configured improperly. Mordern Sets have so many inputs it is easy to get them crossed up.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
Thanks Bruce for emailing the wiring diagram. The troubleshooting continues...
Old 04-18-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Now, my trailer doesn't have this, but I have seen photos of the new ones and they all seem to have a loop where you can hook in a cable box.

If you don't need the cable box you need to connect a short cable to 'jump' the two jacks.

Is yours like that?

Just flailing in the dark here, I'm probably way off-base...
Old 04-18-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
Confounded

Hi Aage,
Yes mine does have the loop for satellite hookup. I checked it earlier today for loose connections. Tightened everything real good but haven't checked the dinette TV yet to see if that fixed it. I don't think that will fix it as it is the main input line for both TV1 and TV2. TV2 works okay on cable. I'll probably jumper off TV2 to TV1 to isolate the TV to see if it's a TV problem.

Thanks for the reply.

Bob
Old 04-19-2013, 12:15 AM   #8
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Bob, there has to be two splitters. One for cable/antenna, and the one behind the blu ray/DVD player. The only one that should be in play here is the cable/ant. I didn't read that you had tried both TVs on antenna. If they both work on antenna, you probably have a config issue on the main TV. If it doesn't work on air, you have probably got a connection problem either at the TV, or at the splitter. Hmmm, I vaguely remember ??? the split being right behind the Winegard booster.

I've had several issues with my TVs, one of which was the DVD splitter that is located behind the player. Another issue is the AS owners manual does not reflect the same type of booster that came with my trailer. Third issue is probably me,
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
Confounded!!

Hi Drathaar,

Yep I've got more troubleshooting to do. There is a splitter behind the antenna booster but I believe it splits only the antenna feed to the TV's?? It did have a loose connection that cleared up the pic quality. Fixed that on maiden voyage.

Mine came with the bedroom pre-wired for a Tv that I added soon after purchase, so there was not a factory splitter behind the Blu-Ray player. I added a 2 input/ 2 output powered switch to take care of that. The DVD is all run with HDMI cables to both TV's(factory). Both TV's work fine with the Blu-Ray DVD player. I can also bring our Cox cable DVR(wife must have Judge Judy) when camping and hook it up to the switch and all is fine.

Not sure if the RG-6? cabling goes up there behind the radio or not. Will check that tomorrow. If all else fails I will concede defeat and call Airstream and talk to their tech support. They have been helpful in the past.

Thanks for your input. It gives me a couple more places to look again to see if I missed anything....

Bob
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Bob, is the main tele working on the antenna?

I think (but don't know for certain) that the splitter behind the booster is for both cable and antenna. It would seem strange to have more than one set of splitters on the tv side of the booster.

I just checked my trailer. There are three conections. HDMI, ant in, and optical out. I know that the coax going to ant in is for both cable and ant, as I disconnected it and ran cable directly to it. Ant reception was gone with it disconnected as I recall.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:22 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
Confounded!!

Hey Drathaar,
Yeah it works fine on antenna. Haven't taken time today to look at it. Last reunion for the Doolittle Raiders were here this weekend and I got to go up in a B-25 air ride. Couldn't pass that up.
Will return to the AS tomorrow.

Thanks
Bob
Old 04-22-2013, 08:05 AM   #12
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Wow, a ride in a Mitchell! That's really something. What a great group of American heros. I don't blame you for taking a day off!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:00 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
They are definitely huge heroes. Only 4 left of 80 that pulled off that mission. 3 attended the reunion, Robert Hite, I think was too ill to attend this year. This was supposedly their last reunion as all the remaining guys are in their 90's. Doolittle gave them a bottle of cognac back in the early 90's before he passed to be used for a toast for the two last remaining "Raiders". Probably not too far off from that last toast now. Neat bunch of guys, no questions asked they just did their job and didn't bitch. Not many people left today that can stack up to that generation. Enough ranting on my part...
Figured out one part of the problem is the TV. RG cable input is bad. When I checked it earlier in the year it played antenna fine but not now. So maybe I've solved most of the problem. My TV also has an audio output jack that is hardwired to the TV speakers and is soldered onto the speakers of the TV with a pigtail that sticks out of the back of the TV and goes to the surround system. Don't think it came this way from Samsung. Will call AS tomorrow.

Bob
Old 04-24-2013, 08:04 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drathaar View Post
Wow, a ride in a Mitchell! That's really something. What a great group of American heros. I don't blame you for taking a day off!

Off topic...Mitchell ride from Destin to Panama City Beach. Wooohoo!

B-25 Bomber ride - YouTube

Posting update shortly...it was the TV
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Mary Esther , Florida
Confounded!!

Well..Well...AS outsources their Samsung TV's third party to have an audio output system "RIGGED" in the TV as the 26" model I have has no audio output for the surround system. It is actually bridged into the TV speakers with resistors and all(soldered). Seems to me they would have just installed a model with audio outputs to alleviate this problem. If your TV craps out make sure you replace it with one that has audio outputs if you have surround.

Maybe they are using a different model TV now I don't know. I found a 29" Hitachi at Sam's Club for a decent price. It has audio out and PC monitor input so you can hook up your computer and have a larger screen. Bonus for us guys with not so good eyesight. Install looks really nice.

Oh, and by the way, that fixed the antenna problem. I,ll hook up the DVR to cable input tomorrow and check the cable input.

Bob