Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 04:46 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Austin , Texas
Concealed Cable Routing (Backup Camera)

[Okay, at last count there are 1347 threads discussing rearview cameras. Thanks for suffering my issue!]

I have a wired camera unit from Rear View Safety. (A mistake, possibly, but I'm not about to shell out another $400 to correct it.) The problem is that there are no fixtures extending from the ceiling-to-floor at the back of our 2006 25' Safari SE FB, either insider or out. As such, I am clueless on how to route the cable from the proposed exterior camera location to the front of the coach in a concealed fashion.

I have no problem drilling into the skin when mounting the camera. In fact, I imagine that the hole would terminate nicely behind the upper cabinets. But, that exactly where the fun stops! I would also consider going along some (if not all, should there be no other option) of the roof's exterior.

Any and all suggestions welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sefb.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	283657  
WALL-E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
I ran mine under the trailer covered with aluminum duct tape.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I ran mine under the trailer covered with aluminum duct tape.
I once fought off a coyote with nothing but a pogo stick and a halfway melted box of Fudgsicles, but you don't see me bragging, do ya?

Wait...were you being serious? I'm not so worried about under the trailer so much as the getting-to-the-under part!

Cheers
Old 04-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by WALL-E View Post
I once fought off a coyote with nothing but a pogo stick and a halfway melted box of Fudgsicles, but you don't see me bragging, do ya?

Wait...were you being serious? I'm not so worried about under the trailer so much as the getting-to-the-under part!

Cheers
I'm sorry if my post somehow offended you (?). You ask how others ran the wire and I responded on what I have done. I am certainly not the only owner that has done it this way.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
I'm sorry if my post somehow offended you (?). You ask how others ran the wire and I responded on what I have done. I am certainly not the only owner that has done it this way.
I was just having a bit of fun with ya, since I couldn't really tell if your response was serious or sardonic. But, I certainly wasn't offended, and I apologize for making you feel that way.

I'm really just looking for the lowdown on running a cable through the wall, or other available orifice, so that I'm not reinventing the wheel...or, remaining deluded if such a thing is a bit more far fetched than I'd anticipated.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I have a wireless camera, but if I had a wired camera I would run the wire under the trailer.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I have what I imagine is the same camera. I mounted mine, however, on the inside of the trailer, under the shelf above the rear window, and ran the wire through the shelf, down the inside of the trailer, through a hole in the floor, and under the trailer to the A-frame.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:36 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

Chelsea , Maine
Okay, so once you get the wire to the tongue, then it has to cross the tongue and make its way up to the cab of the tow vehicle?
I'm sure there would be a plug/disconnect near the rear bumper.
If it were me, I'd put that wired system on eBay and go wireless.
Equal-I-Zer 10K/1000
JMynes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 01:48 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
connelly springs , North Carolina
I have the wired version as you do. I ran the wire under the chassis and up to the tongue where I have a quick-disconnect and a coiled cord which extends to the truck where there is another quick-disconnect. The wire runs under the truck chassis up to the rear eat are where there was a hole (convenient) with a large rubber grommet. Then up to the monitor. It works great! I have it set to be on any time I have power to it, which I get with a plug in that goes to the cigar lighter. I do not recommend wireless units as they can get interference from the metal of the RV. With wired system the picture quality is perfect all the time.
rustyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 04:28 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
I'm just getting ready to put in my 3 camera system into our 25' Rear Bed Airstream. Here is how I am planning on tackling the initial problem you spoke of - that being getting the wire from the upper cabinet as unobtrusively down below the windows into the lower cabinets (or bed in my case).

First off I will run the wire into the upper cabinet and terminate into a junction box. That way when the camera goes bad I can more easily troubleshoot it and replace it. Then I will run it in a small aluminum tube down behind the stacked window curtains. I will look at some radio control model aircraft fuel line tubing as a possible source for the tubing.

I have has success in running wires inside of both our previous 2015 19' and our current 2017 25' Airstreams. Never easy, takes a lot of time, one must be careful, but it can be done.

Here is a link showing one of my recent cable runs:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f37/...ll-165524.html
BoscoMN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 08:42 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
if I want to know what is behind me I will get out and go look, the same as I do with my KW...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:07 PM   #12
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
I am planning to run the wires under the trailer in 1/4" PVC conduit screwed to the bottom skin with cable clamps. It is cheap and available at the big box hardware stores.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:13 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Austin , Texas
Thanks for your thoughts, Everyone!

I was just setting up my Amazon seller acct when I decided to check back in. I had reached the same conclusion as JMyrnes: I made a mistake, and I need to suck up my pride, sell this setup, and start over.

But, I did take one final gander. Turns out there is an easily accessible trim piece around the window that bridges the cabinet and sofa. As it happens, a cable fits nicely behind it when it is in place. (I've attached a poor photo of the cable behind said trim, in detached state.) Maybe this would be an option for you, rather than the tube, BoscoMN?

It appears I overlooked this option in my leap for help. What to do: Fall on my sword and go wireless, or march forth with the extant offering? Both approaches have their pains — I guess we'll see how it goes!

Cheers,
Michael T
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0394.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	192.2 KB
ID:	283732  
Old 04-20-2017, 12:47 PM   #14
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
I too purchased the hard wired system due to throwing away 2 worthless wireless ones. Not all wireless are bad, but I had to quit after 2 strikes. Our trailer has the Fiamma bike rack, so I thought I would try to mount the camera to the rack cross bar and route the cable down through the rack's tubing exiting down near the left rear of the trailer. I don't know how well the camera angle will work until I get it done, but will take that chance. I machined out a camera bracket that resembles a connecting rod from an engine. It clamps the upper rack tube, and has a camera mounting shoe on the other end. The rod is 12" long to get the camera up above the top tube of the bicycles. I also fabbed up some camera mounts for side cameras mounted to the lower splash skirts near the rear of the trailer to aid in parking in tight spots. All cables will be attached to the bottom of the trailer with Adell clamps and routed to the front of the trailer where they terminate at Rear View Safety's disconnects and slinky cable tug connection mounts. It won't be done in time for our Monday trip due to ordering some shorter cables than was shipped with the kit. (kit cables way too long) Also I have not even started on the tow vehicle wiring yet. 2 weeks until completion at best. Will report how it works.
Russ
Ruscal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 12:53 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Note to posters planning to use small diameter tubing to house camera wires:
Rear view Safety's cameras and extension cords use molded on plugs at the connections which are around 3/4" in diameter. If you cut off the ends you may have to purchase new connectors with non molded strain reliefs.
Russ
Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
I'm watching this thread. I also have the Rear View Safety system, and plan to run the rear camera cable behind all the furniture on the streetside. Where the fun starts is going vertical inside the back corner of the wet bath to get to the clearance light area. Anyone have a good idea how to handle that without massive disassembly of the interior?
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Here is a photo of my camera's cable coming down from the overhead storage bins above the bed. I routed it under the trim of the window and through an aluminum tube to protect it and cover the wire as it goes under the bed's plywood pedestal. If you had a cable and did not want to splice the wires, maybe there is a way to cut the tube in half?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tubing.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	284065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire tube.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	284067  

Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoscoMN View Post
Here is a photo of my camera's cable coming down from the overhead storage bins above the bed. I routed it under the trim of the window and through an aluminum tube to protect it and cover the wire as it goes under the bed's plywood pedestal. If you had a cable and did not want to splice the wires, maybe there is a way to cut the tube in half?
Man, do I love you people. Great job, BoscoMN...glad to see you found the window trim, too!
Old 04-26-2017, 04:16 PM   #19
3 Rivet Member

2015 19' Flying Cloud
2017 25' Flying Cloud
Rosemount , Minnesota
Thanks Wall-E for pointing out the trim to me. We all definitely help one another out on this forum!

I even remembered to use my thin metal ruler to keep the cable out of the way of the screws when I put the trim back up!
Old 04-27-2017, 08:33 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Carlsbad , California
Here is a link to some wiremold that may be usable in lieu of the aluminum tube. http://www.homedepot.com/p/Legrand-W...-C10/202059078
It could be painted aluminum color with plastic paint. Krylon makes plastic primer. Coat with that, then use any paint to achieve color.
Russ