Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-11-2015, 12:06 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Greenacres , Washington
Coax connections

When I connect to coax cable tv at exterior of my 2007 27' FB Classic, there's no signal. When I connect directly to the television, it gets a strong signal. It seems the breakdown is in the wall behind the refrigerator. Any suggestions on how to troubleshoot? If the problem is behind the ref, will I have to pull it to fix? Anyone out there have this problem?
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 02:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Are you pressing the pushbutton on the TV outlet plate to turn off the preamp? That switches the internal distribution from the antenna to the cable input. The green LED for the preamp should be off.

You will also have to re-scan and set the scan function in the TV for cable channels.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 04:59 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
BTW if you have more then one TV location be sure to check both for the amp button in case you don't find it on the first location.

WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2021 16' Basecamp
Greenacres , Washington
There are 3 coax connections in our coach but only one has the amp button. I know to turn that off when connecting with cable, but still no signal. Is there a way to check continuity of the coax routing? I'm still thinking there's a bad connection somewhere between the exterior and interior (aka behind the refer).
vhaalen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
Does your trailer have satellite wiring? If so there is probably a jack plate with two coax connectors on it and there should be a short jumper between the jacks.

If that is all normal, then in my experience, it is more likely that someone has reconfigured the wiring. The coax from the outside should run directly to the panel with the switch and LED. If you don't have a manual for the antenna, and assuming you have the original antenna, Google Winegard Sensar to find one. It has a diagram of which connector is which on the circuit board. If I remember correctly it is the jack in the center of the circuit board.

My trailer had been rewired by placing an extra splitter in the wall behind the jack with the switch and connecting its input to the output of the switch that went to the other TVs in the trailer. The cable to the other TVs was on one output of the new splitter and the cable to the outside was on the other port of the splitter. This allowed the cable to be used to send a signal from the antenna to a TV outside the trailer instead of as a cable input.

The giveaway is that there is a splitter behind the switch panel and nothing connected to the center jack on the circuit board. The easiest thing to do is pull that switchplate and check the wiring behind it. You could also set the system to antenna and hook up a TV to the outside jack to see if it works. Less work than pulling the switchplate, but if that is the problem you will have to pull it to fix it.

Oh, put the trailer in storage mode or disconnect the battery before pulling the switchplate. It is very easy to short the 12 volts when pulling the plate and that will blow a fuse. Don't ask how I know....

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote