Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2022, 01:19 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
Clarion M303 pairing with iPhone

Hi, I seem to have paired my iPhone with the radio, but I can't get any sound. The volume is up on both the phone and radio. Anyone have any clues as to what could be wrong?

(I've had the system for 3 years, but haven't tried to use it until now. The radio works fine, otherwise.)
A.S. Beauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Tavares , Florida
That's odd. I've used multiple M303s in various Airstreams connected to multiple devices (Iphone, Ipad) using Bluetooth for music, Pandora, etc. with no issues.

I would only ask the obvious questions: Is the M303 selected for BT input? Is the music source on the iPhone actually playing music? Does the M303 play audio with another source (CD, over the air radio)? If you select a different audio source on the iPhone (YouTube video, or music on the phone, say), do you still get no audio? Can you try another device, such as another phone, or perhaps a tablet, with that same M303? Can you pair the phone that doesn't work with a different sound system, such as a playbar or BT speaker?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 02:38 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Clarion M303 pairing with iPhone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Llando88 View Post
That's odd. I've used multiple M303s in various Airstreams connected to multiple devices (Iphone, Ipad) using Bluetooth for music, Pandora, etc. with no issues.

I would only ask the obvious questions: Is the M303 selected for BT input? Is the music source on the iPhone actually playing music? Does the M303 play audio with another source (CD, over the air radio)? If you select a different audio source on the iPhone (YouTube video, or music on the phone, say), do you still get no audio? Can you try another device, such as another phone, or perhaps a tablet, with that same M303? Can you pair the phone that doesn't work with a different sound system, such as a playbar or BT speaker?

Good advice here. As I recall, blue tooth is selected by pressing the knob on the left side (which is also the volume knob). Each time you press the knob it cycles thru different input options, as I recall. First make sure music is playing on your phone before linking to your M303. Good luck.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 03:00 PM   #4

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
The M303 will display the "bluetooth name" of your iPhone when it's properly connected (like "John's iPhone"), then it should also display the track information when music is playing.

The M303 can be somewhat finicky about getting into the right mode. It will NOT easily go to the BT source until your phone is connected to it, for one thing, and I think once it's connected if you've changed to a different source it'll only automatically switch back to the phone for a call, if you just play music on the phone after switching the M303 to FM, for example, I don't think the M303 will switch on its own... you'll have to push the Source button.

Another fun (DUMB!) thing about the M303 is that it has a small list of devices that can be paired. It's either 3 or 5. We had camped with friends and paired another device for the music on their playlist, and got new phones sometime after getting the Flying Cloud, etc... eventually hit a wall where I couldn't get a new device to pair without figuring out how to clear out old pairings manually.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:42 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
Thanks. Yes, everything seems to be pairing and everything works otherwise (my phone sends audio to my HomePod no problem). Yah, volume is up on everything. Music is playing (no sound). M303 says it's paired to the iPhone. It does NOT say what song it's playing. Other than saying it's paired, there's no other information on the display. Weird.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:43 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
Hi, it says paired with my iPhone but it does not say what track is playing. Really weird. Good thought on the number of items paired, but it's just the one item right now.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:44 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2019 23' Flying Cloud
Eagle Point , Oregon
Yes, all that checks out fine on my end, but still no sound. Thanks for trying to help I appreciate it.
Old 02-08-2022, 09:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 25' International
Providence , Senior Electrical Engineer
Unpair the radio from the phone and re-pair it, sometimes the UUIDs get trashed on the phone side.
kittmaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2022, 09:58 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Tavares , Florida
While you are pondering what to do, you might want to detach the DCP (detachable control panel) and re-attach. It won't hurt, and should reestablish / remake any connections between the head unit and rest of the M303.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 02-08-2022, 10:01 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Tavares , Florida
Here's another thing to look into. The Manual mentions "MIC GAIN" when in BT mode, and a -5 to +5 range.

What is the MIC GAIN set to in your radio? If it's -5, perhaps that is effectively muting the audio?
Attached Images

Old 02-08-2022, 10:05 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2022 23' Globetrotter
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2017 27' Flying Cloud
Tavares , Florida
Last random thought, check the balance and front/back settings, make sure they are in the middle. Perhaps they are out of whack for some reason? For instance, if one of your speaker pairs is inop, and the M303 balance is set to 100% towards that pair, you won't hear audio...
Old 02-16-2022, 11:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Problem is the Clarion forgets pairing when it losses power (i.e. you put trailer in store mode). All looks fine when you try to connect using your phone but the Clarion has lost the keys and will not connect. Every time you remove power, you have to remove the pairing from your phone and then re-pair.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:20 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2013 20' Flying Cloud
2014 16' Sport
Dunedin , Florida
With my Sony I can only have it paired with one bluetooth device at a time. Otherwise doesn't work. Maybe Clarion is the same?
WBCCI #12814
Florida Unit #027, Southeastern Camping Unit #012, Stella's Sisters, Grapes & Grains, Indie Streamers
Save
Native143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 11:35 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
Crescent City , California
You have to manually switch to aux to hear music from paired phone as I recall.
Gun2Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2022, 01:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Hope this helps. Here's the manual in PDF form.
The section on Bluetooth is complex because it also covers using the phone as a phone and accessing the phonebook. (see pages 14 and 15) It seems that playing music from a phone is called streaming.
Let us know when you solve it. Do you have the remote? Make sure 'mute' is not selected. (sorry, but sometimes the simplest things can bite you.)
https://www.clarion.com/xe/en/pdf/M303_Manual_EN.pdf

Quote:
Handsfree Operations Pairing
1. Turn on Bluetooth function of your mobile phone.
2. Enter mobile phone’s Bluetooth setup menu.
3. Search for new Bluetooth devices.
4. Select M303 from the pairing list on the
mobile phone.
5. Enter “0000” as the password (The
password default setting is “ 0000 ”).
6. After pairing successfully, the unit will enter Bluetooth mode automatically, and “BLUETOOTH CONNECTED” will appear
on the LCD.
7. The unit can connect three units.

* During pairing, depending on type of mobile phone, a six digit PIN code will be shown on both the source unit’s display and the mobile phone.
In this case, please make sure that you have the same PIN code on both devices, and then confirm on the mobile phone.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote