Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-20-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2009 25' FB International
las vegas , Nevada
Cable TV...2009 CCD...how is it hooked up?

This was our 3rd trip in almost brand spanking new 2009 25' International and the first trip where I even thought of hooking up cable.

I'm not really into watching TV when we are on the airstream, but my team was playing on ESPN and had to get cable.

I hooked up cable to the external cable input, and expected it to work, but somehow it did not.

The back of our LCD TV has a cable plugged in, probably from the antenna, and RCA cables most likely for the DVD.

I was not sure if the cable inlet on the exterior is already wired for cable TV, and if it's a matter of configuring my TV for proper input or not. I tried, and it didn't work, so I pulled the cable manually into the cabin and plugged directly to the TV and it worked.

There is a cable connection just under our dinette table that says "satellite in" and something else I can't remember, and they are connected together with a short jumper....

Is there anyone who has experience/wisdom to share on one of these late model airstreams....thanks.

2009 Airstream 25' International CCD
lvcat2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:13 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Two things. First, make sure your inverter is on. The button is near the stove under the water/battery status lights.

Second. Turn on the TV, go to menu, then settings and go down to cable. Turn on cable.

That should do it.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2023 23' Flying Cloud
2008 27' Safari FB SE
Forney , Texas
Assuming you have the 23" Samsung TV that is most commonly installed, you will have to move the coax from the "Antenna" input on the back to the "cable" input. The connections are right next to each other.

While it makes sense for Samsung to do that with a TV that will be installed in a home setting, it is not terribly convenient for us ;-).

If you can find or make (or have someone that knows what they are doing) a couple of really short coax jumpers and then install a splitter, you will eliminate having to move the cable.

In areas where the Antenna signal is really weak though, the extra connections and the splitter will reduce your signal coming into the TV, so be aware of that.

In any case, you will likely have to scan again once you are hooked up to the cable system.

This exact issue "bit" me the first time we ran across cable hook-ups in a campground.

Hope that helps --

Wayne
wayner61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 11:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
Wayne, let me try that next time. That seems a bit absurd that I have to manually switch the cable input, but I'll see if that works since my TV is indeed the 23" Samsung LCD.

John...the iverter?? I have no idea if it's there, but I'll look for it. The status indicator has "status" "on/off" "water pump" switches, but I don't remember an inverter switc in the vicinity. Mine is a 2009 25" international CCD. Could it be possible that mine doesn't have one? and are you referring to 12v 120v inverter?? or some sort of cable inverter device? I'm not quite sure what you are referring to.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:29 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
you can buy ab A/B switch for the wall to tv connections at most places that sell tv wiring and connectors. it's much easier to just push a button :-)
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 04:59 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
Since the TV is the only regularly used item powered through in inverter, I ran a short extension cord to another outlet under the dinette and turned the inverter off. I understand that even in standby mode, the inverter draws on the batteries.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 07:46 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

1999 28' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Northfield , Minnesota
You should not have to disconnect the small jumper cable under the dinette to have the outside cable be connected to the TV set. The jumper is there in case you want to use a satellite receiver in your trailer.In that case, the jumper is removed and the satellite receiver (which is a seperate box (receiver) you furnish is then connected to the outllet marked "cable"...This is connected to the satellite receiver "antenna" input then the OUTPUT of the satellite receiver is connected to the other jack that the small jumper was connected to...Making the satellite receiver in "series' with the cable...the satellite receiver then selects the satellite channel you watch...All this means is it creates a way to connect a satellite receiver to your TV set...Otherwise the "Jumper" only creates a path for the "cable"to get to the TV's..If you use a satellite receiver, you must have an External antenna that you furnish to connect to the outside jack that you would use for "true cable" that some campgrounds furnish..Sorry fror the length of this post, I hope this helped clairify why the "Jumper" cable
J R Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Blaine , Washington
Yes, I'm refering to the 12v 120v inverter. It should be a button that you push located under the status panel on a different panel. A red light will come on when the inverter is on. I'm pretty sure you have one in that location. If not, you need to find it somewhere on a wall. It must be on for the TV to work at all.

Also, make sure your attenna switch is off. That button is to the left of the TV on the same wall as the TV. I have never had to plug or unplug any cables. The only thing I need to do is do the menu/settings/cable thing I mentioned earlier.

John
Relentless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2009, 03:01 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

las vegas , Nevada
thanks for the info. John, I don't think the issue is the inverter since the TV is working fine, it just seems that the cable signal was NOT comming into the TV at all, even after trying to "set up" through the menus.

It seems that I may need a selector to physically have the cable go into the other "cable" input on the TV, so I'll first physically switch the cable from "antenna" to "cable" to make sure that works, and if so, I'll probably buy myself a cable selector switch thingie. thanks all.