Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2007, 10:58 AM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Bose speakers?

I am currently in the planning stages of this springs refurbishing. Among some of the things I am considering while the Trade Wind is in dry dock is a serrious upgrade on the audio front. Has anyone tried something like these Bose Virtually Invisible 191 Stereo Speakers - In Wall and In Ceiling Speakers

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Those are very cool looking speakers. I replaced the speakers in my Safari with car stereo speakers because I was told that the road vibration would destroy regular home speakers. Since I know absolutely nothing about audio stuff I just believed it because it kind of made sense. Having ridden around a parking lot in my trailer, I know it's pretty bumpy. And, seeing the way things get moved around after being on a rough road it make sense. So, I'm eager to find out what other people have to say about the audio option...now that I'm stuck with my rather unattractive but very functional car speakers.
Old 02-22-2007, 11:25 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Bose is high-spensive with a lot of $$ going toward the name. Any Best Buy automotive auditioning room should help you find something just as good. Know I've seen Bose theater-in-a-box at BB -- not sure if they have Bose auto systems to hear.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:09 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Placitas , New Mexico
Canoe: did I get the right info that you really can't use regular home audio stuff in an Airstream? BTW, I have 'spensive Bose in the house...
Old 02-22-2007, 12:25 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
You can use home audio in an Airstream but it is bulkier & one would need an electric plug-in since it is 110v. Automotive audio is more versatile because it will run off the battery if boondocking or on 12v through the converter if you do have a plug-in. I do not know if the speakers are interchangeable; ie, does a home audio system's transformer supply the same wattage to the speakers. Hope we'll snag somebody reading this who has looked into this.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-22-2007, 12:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Currently Looking...
Jupiter , Florida
Having speakers in the shell structure would be fine vibration wise if your running gear is well balanced - I'd worry about condensation though. I plan on using older surface mount Bose acoustimass speakers as I am of fan of their direct-reflective sound.

Car audio amplifier output is different from home audio; the voltage-current ratios for driving automotive speakers has higher voltage : lower current to better overcome distortion from vibrations, thus why yesteryear shoestring garage sound systems cobbled together from car/home or home/car radio-speaker combinations ALWAYS sounded horrible.

If you drive the Bose speakers from a home audio system they should last just fine and sound good too, courtesy of torsion axles and shock absorbers. Just beware of condensation if you put them in the shell.
Old 02-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #7
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Very cool speakers but you may have a few problems; first they measure 4" deep which will cause an instalation problem in the depth. You could build a face plate but I wouldn't think that would be too desirable. In addition you will need to add a pre-amp. A 12V system will not be enough to drive these. You will do much better finding a high end auto speaker for flush mounting, but then again you will have the depth problem unless you mount them into a bulkhead.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 12:45 PM   #8
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Acoustimass

The Bose Acoustimass system is excellent, and very reasonably priced for the quality. I don't consider it audiophile high end, but it does a good job with a braod variety of music. ( Bose Acoustimass 3 Stereo Speakers - Home Theater Speaker Systems ) I use an Alpine Car audio amp, and feed it directly with my ipod. Went and got a remote for the ipod ( $ 45.00) which works through the cabinetry. Now I have an all but invisible system that sounds really good to my ears, and is very light and small. Plus, it works while boondocking. When I watch movies, I hook it up to my laptop, and have big sound.
Yes, I would do it again, in a heart beat. I am thinking of getting a second set of the acoustimass speakers for the front area.
Old 02-22-2007, 01:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

another thing to consider..........

I don't have specifications of those specific speakers, but Bose are historically power hungry.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 03:42 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Classic
West Chazy , New York
I consider myself an audiophile and have high end but not esoteric equipment at home. That being said, I installed a Bose 3.1 system in my AS. Given the close quarters, the Bose is quite enjoyable. I have the satellites mounted on the fridge/mw wall and on the end panel of the cabinets above the galley. The top of the speakers are at the ceiling - not the best for sound, but do not present a clearance issue by the entance door. The distance from the speakers to the couch is equal on the Classic 25. I have the "player unit" on the credenza and the subwoofer in the cabinet below. The wires to the woofer and a few pieces of security tape under the feet of the player keep it in place nicely. I was able to run the wires to the speakers invisibly by tucking them behind the wall and then under the vinyl strip that is on the ceiling.

Of course I need shore power, but I don't boodock yet. I need to have a/c or I will float away, but when I buy a gen I will be able to be comfy and hear good tunes wether I'm plugged in or not. All in good time! Anyway, I just wanted to share what I did.
WBCCI 2623
romap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 04:53 PM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandolindave
I don't have specifications of those specific speakers, but Bose are historically power hungry.
Higher end bose stuff, like their 901's are definitely power hungry. The Acoustimass 3 system seems quite efficient. With a 2x100W Alpine car audio amp, I only need to set the ipod volume to 1/4 of it's travel, and it's already good and loud. I chose their white colored system, since my drapes and interior walls are mostly white.
btw. I run this system without any tone controls, just ipod out into the car audio amp - and it sounds very natural and pleasant, without hissy trable or flabby low end. It sounds more expensive than what it is to me.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:05 PM   #12
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
I run this system without any tone controls, just ipod out into the car audio amp - and it sounds very natural and pleasant, without hissy trable or flabby low end. It sounds more expensive than what it is to me.
So to do this I would need to get a car amp and thats the only other thing to make it Airstream ready? The only down side I see to this would be where to put the larger unit. Does it matter where it is in relation to the other speakers?

Old 02-22-2007, 05:13 PM   #13
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
So to do this I would need to get a car amp and thats the only other thing to make it Airstream ready? The only down side I see to this would be where to put the larger unit. Does it matter where it is in relation to the other speakers?
It seems to matter only little in such a small space. I have my sub under the closet floor, in front of the converter, blowing through a round cutout in the lower closet door. Bass waves are somewhat non-directional. In my case, it sounds like the bass is coming directly from the small cubes.
I suppose you would want it near the cubes somehow, not in an opposite corner of the trailer. Near can mean up to 6-8 feet away.
You can also use a decent car stereo or CD combo player to power the system, in which case the amp would not be needed.
However, I like power and headroom, therefore I like a beefy amplifier.
Old 02-22-2007, 05:58 PM   #14
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I wonder

I wonder if the large box in that set up would fit under the front goucho? Would that be a decent placement if it would?

Old 02-22-2007, 06:27 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
If looking for a sound system central tuner/CD player, take not of a couple recent threads:
http://www.airforums.com/forum...b-23376-2.html
http://www.airforums.com/forum...kup-18239.html

Sounds like Sony intentionally makes it difficult to hook up an iPod -- and then the interface is quite kludgy.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

Old 02-22-2007, 07:09 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Nipomo , California
We have given up on the built-in Sony and associated speaker system in our relatively new Airstream. We much prefer our own music on the various iPods we own (4 at the moment). So, we opted for the Apple Hi-Fi speaker system that can accommodate the iPods and runs on either AC or battery power. The sound out of this box has been reviewed very favorably by serious audiophiles and more than satisfies us. Also, the fact that it is portable means that we can put it in either the dining area or in the bedroom as well as outside. It may be a little large for some people. If so, there are many other choices for iPod speaker systems. Visit any Apple store or search on-line. I'm confident that you can find something that will satisfy and surprise (in the favorable sense).

Bowlus Road Chief "Endymion"
BMW X3 xDrive 28D
myoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:12 PM   #17
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I wonder if the large box in that set up would fit under the front goucho? Would that be a decent placement if it would?
Yes, if you cubes are also in the front area. The large box is really rahter small, check the dimensions in the link I gave you.
It can be laid on it's side without sacrifice in performance.
Old 02-22-2007, 07:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
iPods and Sound?

i love this thread...

now, if i was to carry my iPod, all one of them, with say 40 days and nights of tunes...

i'd pack this, and i do, like all the time...

1 Yamaha Digital Sound Projector YSP-1
2 Yamaha Active Servo Processing Subwoofers YST-SW100
1 cable to attach iPod

now i know what ur all thinking, hey kev? we really wanna thump the bass AND have the mid / high end also...

dude,

this system will rock the PLANET for less than a thousand bucks (well maybe i can't remember exactly, but who cares), the girls just LOVE it, and well, it's very social... both kinds of music scream w/ this system IMHO but that's just me; i guess that's why i bought a Hemi... and went vintage...

i've attached a pic packing the back of my truck for my last rally in Dead Horse, Arizona. look close in front of the pit box for the corn thingie game, you can see the system on the right side, it's very compact...

oh, i just found a photo from boondocking in the nevada desert with my anna. in the lower right side of the photo, you can see the yamaha system in action.

kevbo
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	begin pack four.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	32915   Click image for larger version

Name:	annairstreamwindow.jpg
Views:	289
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	32916  

Kevbo10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:55 PM   #19
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
There are several way to go. I think that for the most part, unless you are full timing and an audiophile, then there are a LOT of options. Since sound is somewhat subjective, it's hard to suggest what to go with.

IMPO, Bose, though good, does sound tinny to me.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 12:16 AM   #20
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Brc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevbo10
i love this thread...

now, if i was to carry my iPod, all one of them, with say 40 days and nights of tunes...

i'd pack this, and i do, like all the time...

1 Yamaha Digital Sound Projector YSP-1
2 Yamaha Active Servo Processing Subwoofers YST-SW100
1 cable to attach iPod

now i know what ur all thinking, hey kev? we really wanna thump the bass AND have the mid / high end also...

dude,

this system will rock the PLANET for less than a thousand bucks (well maybe i can't remember exactly, but who cares), the girls just LOVE it, and well, it's very social... both kinds of music scream w/ this system IMHO but that's just me; i guess that's why i bought a Hemi... and went vintage...

i've attached a pic packing the back of my truck for my last rally in Dead Horse, Arizona. look close in front of the pit box for the corn thingie game, you can see the system on the right side, it's very compact...

oh, i just found a photo from boondocking in the nevada desert with my anna. in the lower right side of the photo, you can see the yamaha system in action.

kevbo
Hey Kevbo,
It looks like BRC earth beneath you trailer?

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote