Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-06-2017, 12:41 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Ridgefield , Washington
Blu-ray player pushing no audio to TVs but does have picture.

Has anyone experienced this? I have a 2016 Airstream Pendleton edition. The Blu-ray player connects to the televisions in both the bedroom and the family room. We were watching a movie and everything was working perfectly. Both TVs were getting audio and video. Now for some reason the TVs are only getting video but no audio. I am pretty proficient with television and Blu-ray settings and have gone through both televisions' and the Blu-ray player's audio settings and everything appears to be set up correctly and all cords are connected correctly. The fact that neither TV will give sound but both will give picture would imply it's an issue with the Blu-ray player. However, as I said, they had been working perfectly fine earlier in the day. Only thing that changed was when we disconnected the power source for the Airstream and moved it to a different site. I purchased this trailer brand new in May so it's barely been touched. I have reached out to the dealer, however, without bringing it into them there isn't much they can offer in the way of a solution. It's obviously a bit of a pain to drag the trailer all the way there so at this point I'm just looking for any online suggestions. Any ideas on what could be going on?
Pendleton000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 12:49 PM   #2

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
Had the same exact thing happen to me but didn't have cell reception to post. The next day everything worked perfectly even though I didn't change a thing except flip the use/store switch. At the time I was dry camping and on battery power.
Mattirs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB Classic
Clermont , Florida
On my 2013 Classic, I have a Sony head unit. I need to turn the input on the Sony to CD Cartridge 2. This selection requires 2 selections - 1st is to select CD, then select Cartridge 2

2013 27 FB Classic Limited
2019 Ford F250 King Ranch 6.7L Diesel
WBCCI 03288 TAC PA-17
tkowalyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:09 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Ridgefield , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattirs View Post
Had the same exact thing happen to me but didn't have cell reception to post. The next day everything worked perfectly even though I didn't change a thing except flip the use/store switch. At the time I was dry camping and on battery power.

Thanks! I'll try that! I believe I was on "store" as I was plugged in to shore power, however, I'll try flipping back and forth a couple of times. Thanks for the response! I'm new to this. First outing last weekend!
Old 07-06-2017, 05:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Hmmm. Pretty weird.

I guess I would try to power off/reset the HDMI splitter in the electronics cabinet.

Or maybe reseat the HDMI cables on the Blue Ray?
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Rich Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2017, 05:36 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Ridgefield , Washington
Great idea on the splitter. I did verify the HDMI cables were all plugged in but I will definitely try that with the splitter. Thank you!
Old 07-06-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendleton000 View Post
Great idea on the splitter. I did verify the HDMI cables were all plugged in but I will definitely try that with the splitter. Thank you!

And if that doesn't work, I'd bypass the splitter and try to drive one of the TVs directly off the BluRay with another HDMI cable.

If you have a laptop, it may have a HDMI output which you could use as another source to check if it's the TV or not.

It stinks having to do this stuff. Hope it's something simple.
“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:14 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Sherwood , Oregon
I had the same thing happen and found the audio out plug on the main TV was not seated completely probably due to repeatedly pulling TV out on the swing bracket to get at the antenna booster switch. Once reseated the audio worked fine.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:23 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Selbyville , Delaware
If you have the Clarion sound system, set it to AUX, play the disk and turn on BOTH TV's
(obviously set to HDMI 1). I have to play it on BOTH TV's to get the sound to come out the sound system speakers. Pretty funky if you ask me. The sound does come out of each TV's individual sound system, though. I have a 2016 Flying Cloud.
WBCCI #9026 Delmarva Unit
jamieb1086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamieb1086 View Post
If you have the Clarion sound system, set it to AUX, play the disk and turn on BOTH TV's
(obviously set to HDMI 1). I have to play it on BOTH TV's to get the sound to come out the sound system speakers. Pretty funky if you ask me. The sound does come out of each TV's individual sound system, though. I have a 2016 Flying Cloud.

That's pretty odd. I believe you, but pretty odd.

On my 16 FC 30J, the AUX audio to the Clarion M303 is sourced from the Dinette TV, via a couple RCA jacks.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:45 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
I believe the problem is related to HDMI handshaking protocol. I have this happen in my house all the time. I have a switcher and multi-sourcing like in the trailers and it will separate signal per se. I believe your fix to go from store to use on the power is resetting the power and confirming my theory. It all has to do with what is turned on when and also how many source. Go one at a time and try it.
Old 07-07-2017, 02:58 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
I believe the problem is related to HDMI handshaking protocol. I have this happen in my house all the time. I have a switcher and multi-sourcing like in the trailers and it will separate signal per se. I believe your fix to go from store to use on the power is resetting the power and confirming my theory. It all has to do with what is turned on when and also how many source. Go one at a time and try it.
This is more likely the issue. You can correct by getting an HDMI repeater http://amzn.to/2u19NgO or even better replace the existing HDMI splitter with something that splits the signal and repeats it http://amzn.to/2uTz0WD

Good luck!

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 03:08 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Ridgefield , Washington
Thank you for the info! Heading to the lake this weekend and will try this. Thanks again!
Old 07-07-2017, 04:20 PM   #14
Rivet Master

Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
This is more likely the issue. You can correct by getting an HDMI repeater http://amzn.to/2u19NgO or even better replace the existing HDMI splitter with something that splits the signal and repeats it http://amzn.to/2uTz0WD

Good luck!

Thanks for this info.

I'm chasing an issue where my BluRay won't drive the splitter to either TV, but works fine direct to the TV with a separate HDMI cable.

I may look into this as a solution.
Old 08-09-2017, 04:38 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Same problem here, '16 25' Flying Cloud, with Samsung TV and Blue-ray player. I have picture, but no sound. Followed most of these suggestions, like turning Use/Store switch, different sequences of which device gets turned on first....and still nothing. Nothing on the TV and nothing from the Clarion receiver in Aux mode.

I wired directly between the player and TV with separate HDMI cable and sound now works.
What else could be keeping the sound from the TV and/or the Clarion? Is there a switch that I'm missing? I've gone pretty deep into the sound menus on both TV and Blu-ray and can find no combination that fixes the problem.
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 06:57 PM   #16
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
There is an hdmi splitter behind the DVD player (if you have 2 tvs) and that may be faulty.
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Problem Solved

Wulfraat, you definitely sent me in the right direction as I didn't know where the splitter was hidden. The splitter is underneath the blu-ray player in the white laminate box on our 2016 25' FB Flying Cloud.

I had to remove three wood screws holding it to the rest of the cabinet in order to lift the box to reveal the splitter. After trying various HDMI cables from the player to the splitter and from the splitter to both TVs, I was still getting no sound.

Then I found this YouTube video that talked about a solution to the problem. It basically said that you need to hook up the main TV to the splitter before hooking up the second TV. In the AS, I assume the main is in the living area and the secondary is in the bedroom area.

So I turned player and TV's off and unplugged the bedroom TV at the splitter. Then I turned on the main TV, then the player and guess what, the audio was on the TV as well as through Aux on the Clarion receiver.

Then I plugged the bedroom TV back in at the splitter, turned the TV on and got sound on the bedroom TV also. I think it is related to a term called, HDMI "handshake", in which there is a certain order that things need to be energized.

Since the problem came from the factory this way, I assume they didn't follow the protocol and that's why it wasn't working. I did notice that the splitter has a 1 and 2 output and that the bedroom was on 1 and the living area was on 2, so maybe they plugged it in backwards at the factory.

BTW, the HDMI cables are color coded, so you know which one goes to which TV by matching the color at the back of each TV.

My wife thinks I'm a friggin' genius. I guess everyone is with the internet. Here's a link to the YouTube video, hope it helps:

https://youtu.be/nGj6AGDkOQA
abqdor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:23 PM   #18
Site Team

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
Sweet! Nice job! Tricky solution to work out. Well done!
wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote