Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #1
Geofreak

2007 27' Classic FB
Montgomery , Texas
Send a message via AIM to geofrk
Backup camera

I have an NPI wireless backup camera which is not working very well. Can someone recommend a really good backup camera and monitor system? --thanks...Art
geofrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Here's my saga on developing my analog system:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ras-83497.html

In the end, if money is no object, the only digital system I know of is Voyager, for twice the price.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Sugar Land , Texas
Exclamation Rear View Wireless Camera Systems

The reason Voyager wireless works so well is that it uses frequency hopping spread spectrum technology. The transmitting camera and the receiving monitor are digitally "paired" like you would with a Bluetooth device. Much better than units that merely transmit on one of four pre-assigned static frequencies selected with manual switches located on the transmitter and receiver. These much cheaper systems will pick up a lot of interference from various sources in neighborhoods, cities, and, to a lesser extent, even the Interstate. Competition will bring the FHSS technology to units that are somewhat less expensive than Voyager. Probably before the end of 2012.
MarkMc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:11 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkMc View Post
The reason Voyager wireless works so well is that it uses frequency hopping spread spectrum technology. The transmitting camera and the receiving monitor are digitally "paired" like you would with a Bluetooth device. Much better than units that merely transmit on one of four pre-assigned static frequencies selected with manual switches located on the transmitter and receiver. These much cheaper systems will pick up a lot of interference from various sources in neighborhoods, cities, and, to a lesser extent, even the Interstate. Competition will bring the FHSS technology to units that are somewhat less expensive than Voyager. Probably before the end of 2012.
True, Mark. All that is covered in my link above. And translated to real world post install observations.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
Old 09-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Sugar Land , Texas
Great! I can't wait to read the stories. This is the perfect way for us to learn from each other.
Old 09-28-2012, 11:20 AM   #6
Home of Vortex tuning

2013 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Spearfish , South Dakota
Is there a bluetooth camera I can pair up to a ipod touch?
I'm only looking at the hitching up, for its use.
Old 09-28-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
Look for an app for that. Bluetooth is 2.44 Mhz, just like the monitor and camera that I used. If there's an app, I think you could use any analog 2.44Mhz camera. Range??????? No clue.

Old 09-28-2012, 12:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Greetings! Hey there dznf0g. I am right there with you. My story is somewhat different and my one system that I purchased, trying to save money failed on my first trip. So, I went back to the drawing board. Now, out $200 I started over. This time with a Voyager digital wireless system. I purchased the add on system hoping to use my LCD monitor but found that it would not work with it and ended up buying another monitor! $$$ later I have a working system with an excellent picture. The voyager digital wireless system works well on an Airstream. I would recommend it. I had so much trouble with the 2.4 ghz analog wireless cutting in and out. It was messed up by Bluetooth, wireless phones, cell phones with bluetooth, etc. awful. The problem is that with a system bothered by so many signals, there is no guarantee that it will work when you need it. So, that means that the choice is a wired system or a digitally locked system. The Voyager system is not cheap but it works.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 10:48 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Sugar Land , Texas
On the digitally locked system did you place the transmitting camera and antenna near the center marker light in the rear? Or did you position where you are transmitting through the rear glass toward the tow vehicle to avoid aluminum?

Thanks
Old 10-09-2012, 06:26 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I gott tell you, with the polorized antennas, the interference is not too bad, except when MY phone is actively pairing and when I am on a call. I have little interference otherwise. When I am in a very populated area, I do get some jumping around, but it is very useable as a rear view mirror. And that's with a 30'er. It would be even better with a shorter AS.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Sugar Land , Texas
That's good to know. Thanks for the feedback and advice!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Digital Backup Replacement

Finally, here is a photo and an answer to your question via pics:

I drilled a hole and used a rubber grommet to seal the hole around the cable used for power.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light power.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	170135  
Old 10-12-2012, 10:35 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Mounting the camera

I mounted a voyager digital wireless camera just below the light used for power.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cammount.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	170141  
Old 10-12-2012, 10:36 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Another shot:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	cammount3.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	170142  
Old 10-12-2012, 10:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
The result, a clear picture:
The light spot is the flash of the camera.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	campic4.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	170143  
Old 10-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDONA View Post
Maybe not exactly what you are looking for, but I installed a Pyle backup (wireless) camera for just this reason ($80). The camera is mounted on the license plate and I can see clearly the stinger on my Hensley - makes it a dream to connect. The screen itself I just hook up to my cigarette lighter, since I only use it to hook up. Perfect.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Good idea Niles. What I didn't share was that my original system was a truck license plate and rear trailer camera system - 4Ucam. The trailer cam failed on my first trip. The license plate camera is out of focus or blurry and the monitor has two blue spots in it now - they look like drips but the monitor has been either on my dash or in the storage compartment under my console. The company did replace a DOA camera but they told me, after looking at sent pics of my monitor, that they would sell me another monitor - no warranty. No way. The whole system is very cheap. I will probably be looking into a different solution for hitch backing once my purple dots cover the screen. Oh, this "system" is/was only 6 months old btw.