Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2022, 02:45 PM   #1

2022 20' Caravel
Denver , Colorado
audio switch for JL Audio

Hi. Just took delivery of my 2022 20FB Caravel. To my surprise I discovered the JL Audio system is powered on when the battery disconnect is turned on. No separate on/off switch for the audio system other than remembering to turn it off every time you turn on the battery. When the cover is on the from of the JL Audio system you do not know the audio system is on resulting in unneeded battery drain. Sorry Airstream, but this is just cheap. Also putting a single 90 watt solar panel on the roof when the Basecamp at half the price comes with two panels is a joke. I have ordered 2, 90 watt B line Zamp panels from Zamp and a 90 watt portable with a built-in regulator from Zamp. That should take care of the battery charging issue. The Audio system fix that I came up with is to install a on off switch to power the Audio System on off separately. Before I take this on does anyone else have a fix to the Audio system issue? Many Thanks
Harry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:11 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2020 23' Flying Cloud
2019 22' Sport
Sebastian , Florida
If the reception on your JL is as poor as it is on my ‘20 23FB FC , you’ll never be turning the system on anyway.
As for the second solar panel, it may have as much to do with the target buyer or the real estate available on the roof as the cost. Airstream would never cut corners simply to enhance their profit.
Happy camping! That’s a nice trailer you bought!
GetawA-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:27 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Schaumburg , Illinois
since you just took deliver of a *new* unit, here's something to consider before you wire in a separate on/off switch. I agree with you, that makes no sense that the battery disconnect does not include the radio so perhaps what you really have is a wiring mistake. Based on other posts across the forum, errors like this are not as rare as we would all hope them to be. If you have the time to invest, I would try to trace back the power feed of the stereo, it might be a dedicated line all the way back to the main electrical panel, and it might be wired on the wrong side of the disconnect switch. A simple move of that wire to a +12vdc terminal on the other side of the disconnect would be the best fix, but it will take some time to research it in your trailer, and it might be an effort full of frustration. It will help you in the long run, to become more familiar with all the wiring and how the systems are connected.
1StreamDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Why do you need a separate on/off switch for the audio system? There’s already an on/off switch on the JL Audio system. Why not just push that and turn it off? Adding a second switch seems redundant.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:21 PM   #5

2022 20' Caravel
Denver , Colorado
Thank you StreamDream I will take a look at the wiring and see if I can trace back. Dennis C: the JL Audio unit auto turns on whenever the battery switch is turned on. There is a travel cover on the JL audio so I didn't even notice it was on after turning the battery on. There is no way to turn off the JL Audio unit so it will not turn on when the battery switch is turned on, I contacted Airstream and was told that is the way the Caravels are wired. Obviously not good for battery life if you do not notice that the power is on to the audio unit
Harry123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:35 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Evergreen , Colorado
Ok, got it. Thanks. My JL Audio unit switches off when I press the power button and it doesn’t come on unless I press the button again.

I hope you get the issue resolved.

Past:
Airstream International Serenity 23FB
Newmar Ventana 3715
Dennis C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 08:53 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Mine works like this. Drives me nuts! Why on earth would this make sense to anyone?

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 12:13 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

2022 16' Caravel
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry123 View Post
Thank you StreamDream I will take a look at the wiring and see if I can trace back. Dennis C: the JL Audio unit auto turns on whenever the battery switch is turned on. There is a travel cover on the JL audio so I didn't even notice it was on after turning the battery on. There is no way to turn off the JL Audio unit so it will not turn on when the battery switch is turned on, I contacted Airstream and was told that is the way the Caravels are wired. Obviously not good for battery life if you do not notice that the power is on to the audio unit
We have 2021 16RB and it does not work as you describe. It does not power on unless the button is pressed on it. I use it for bluetooth from phone for music.
critical367 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2022, 02:57 PM   #9
Escape Pod II

2022 23' Flying Cloud
2018 22' Sport
Orange , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry123 View Post
Hi. Just took delivery of my 2022 20FB Caravel. To my surprise I discovered the JL Audio system is powered on when the battery disconnect is turned on. No separate on/off switch for the audio system other than remembering to turn it off every time you turn on the battery. When the cover is on the from of the JL Audio system you do not know the audio system is on resulting in unneeded battery drain. Sorry Airstream, but this is just cheap. Also putting a single 90 watt solar panel on the roof when the Basecamp at half the price comes with two panels is a joke. I have ordered 2, 90 watt B line Zamp panels from Zamp and a 90 watt portable with a built-in regulator from Zamp. That should take care of the battery charging issue. The Audio system fix that I came up with is to install a on off switch to power the Audio System on off separately. Before I take this on does anyone else have a fix to the Audio system issue? Many Thanks
Could you be inadvertently pushing the on button when you put the rubber cover on? You think it is off and it really isn't and don't realize it is on until you power the trailer back up.
Old 11-09-2022, 07:05 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2022 20' Bambi
Blairsville , Georgia
There is generally a reason for everything - my guess is the reason the radio has constant power is to retain your stations and settings - pull the power and you’ll re-boot the radio and settings station eq etc.

Regards Mike
LowOnCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:30 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Tennessee
Just took delivery of our 2023 FC 25RB and we have the same behavior. It is NOT an operator issue. When you turn your battery disconnect from the Off position to On, it turns on the radio. If you have the cover on and the volume turned down, you won’t know it turns itself on each time you press on the battery disconnect. This is a lazy, unfortunate wiring design, Airstream. If you look at the JL Audio Owner’s Manual, it even tells you:

“For added control functionality, we also recommend installing a dedicated toggle switch (not included) at this wire lead’s +12V connection point. “

This would be the way to prevent the radio from coming on every time you operated the battery disconnect switch. I’ll be tearing my cabinet apart to wire in exactly that switch.
TNOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 04:32 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2023 25' Flying Cloud
Franklin , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis C View Post
Ok, got it. Thanks. My JL Audio unit switches off when I press the power button and it doesn’t come on unless I press the button again.

I hope you get the issue resolved.
But does it power on when you turn on your battery disconnect?
TNOutback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 04:31 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2018 16' Sport
Charlotte , Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNOutback View Post
Just took delivery of our 2023 FC 25RB and we have the same behavior. It is NOT an operator issue. When you turn your battery disconnect from the Off position to On, it turns on the radio. If you have the cover on and the volume turned down, you won’t know it turns itself on each time you press on the battery disconnect. This is a lazy, unfortunate wiring design, Airstream. If you look at the JL Audio Owner’s Manual, it even tells you:

“For added control functionality, we also recommend installing a dedicated toggle switch (not included) at this wire lead’s +12V connection point. “

This would be the way to prevent the radio from coming on every time you operated the battery disconnect switch. I’ll be tearing my cabinet apart to wire in exactly that switch.
Yup. Same thing in mine and it's one of those little things that drives me nuts. Because...when it comes on, it's LOUD and set to a random music station. I decided to try to unhook it but it meant taking the cabinet apart so I just have to try to remember to hit the radio OFF button whenever I switch on the battery disconnect.

Kim
Charlotte, VT
2010 F-150, 5.4l, V8, 3.55; Bramble: 2018 Bambi Sport 16
farafield is offline   Reply With Quote