Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-06-2010, 09:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Buffalo Grove , Illinois
Audio hook-up

Does anyone know if an iPod/laptop can be hooked up to the speakers in our '06 Safari, or how to run the LCD TV audio through the audio sytem?
Thanks, Airhaus
airhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:41 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
It should be really easy.

I have a 2006 Safari (19') so I guess the hook up is similar.
1st. The IPOD. You take a 3.5mm to stereo RCA jack (red/white plugs) line. (Mine is 12' so I can take it outside). These are very common. You can get them at Best Buy, Frys, Target, Walmart, etc. The 3.5mm plugs into the IPOD and the RCA jacks go into the aux. speaker hook up in the trailer. (This should be close to the radio). Mine is in the cupboard next to the radio. See photo. Then turn on the IPOD and then the radio. Mine is a Sony that has a CD player but not DVD. Note, the next photo for the way you set the radio.

2nd. The TV is almost the same way. I have a separate 3.5mm/RCA line for that. I plug the 3.5mm into the earphone jack on the TV then I threaded it to behind/under the power plug over the bed. (this location might be in a different place in your AirStream). Behind that plug I picked up the prewired line that is behind the wall of my Airstream and was done when it was made. Yours has it too. It is a 3 wire line. with RCA jacks of red and white for the audio,
that's what you're interested in and a yellow plug if you are hooking up video. You need female/female RCA adapters because both ends that you have will be male. MAKE SURE THAT THE POWER LINE FROM YOUR HOUSE IS UNPLUGGED WHEN YOU GET BEHIND THE WALL AND HANDLE THE POWER WALL PLUG. You might have to fish around a little for it. I have a photo of where it goes into the wall on my trailer. You might have to pull the access panel next to the radio and find the other end of the 3 wire line and plug it into the junction box that is in back of the radio. You won't believe what a rat's nest of wires there are in back to the radio. You use the same stereo settings for the TV as the IPOD. Besides much better sound than the TV has you will be able to control all the things you get on the radio. (like fader, balance, bass, trebble). BTW I think the most common length of the 3.5mm/RCA line is 6'.
I hope that your unit has the same hookups, because if it doesn't I've done a lot of typing for nothing.
Hope it helps you.

Randy Bowman
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0840.jpg
Views:	157
Size:	167.2 KB
ID:	97810   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	313.2 KB
ID:	97811  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0846.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	555.9 KB
ID:	97812   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0843.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	239.4 KB
ID:	97813  

OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 08:37 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Buffalo Grove , Illinois
thanks Randy,
We don,t P/U the Airstream until May. Your info was very helpful, I'll let you know how it goes...
Gregg & Gina
Airhaus
airhaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 01:01 PM   #4

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Cool. We bought a fiber optic camera for harbor freight for $108 in the store with a cupon. So were on the hunt! We watched a movie (new star trek) and it was ok but the speakers on the tv arnt the best. Will let you know what we find.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote