Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-10-2017, 10:54 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Dallas , Texas
Apple TV Integration

I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but has anyone figured out how to integrate an Apple TV (or any other ancillary HDMI device, for that matter) into the full A/V system on a late model Airstream trailer? A redirect to a related thread (if that exists) would be appreciated.

The BluRay player has access to both TVs and the stereo. Can't figure out where to patch in the Apple TV for similar dual TV plus audio access.

I understand that I can patch an Apple TV directly to either flat panel, use Bluetooth audio, and view on a single display at any given time. Not ideal and forces me to buy two ATVs if I want to be able to watch on both at any given time.
AirDFW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:11 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 22' Sport
North Bay , California
Possibly a worthless response, but my 2017 Sport 22 only has a single TV and the HDMI run goes to the back of the receiver. Is it possible yours has an HDMI splitter back there? If I were to run an Apple TV, I'd mount it in the same cabinet as the radio/receiver and just use an HDMI switch.

Remember that the remote is RF and doesn't require line of sight - so it can be behind the closed cabinet.
ohmman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 11:17 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Dallas , Texas
That's what I'm thinking as well. Just not sure what's back there (splitter or not) and how to get to it.

Yes our 27FB has two TVs. One in living / dining and one bedroom.

Appreciate it!
Old 01-11-2017, 04:53 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Here is a link to a thread where I describe how I did this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1859605
Philip Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:04 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I just use the HDMI jack on the back of the television.
Old 01-11-2017, 05:42 AM   #6
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Apple TV - HDMI Matrix Splitter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Jones View Post
Here is a link to a thread where I describe how I did this.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...ml#post1859605

Here is the product I ordered from Monoprice - http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=14529

"I opened up the cabinet enclosing the Bluray player (two long screws from the side got me in). From the factory, the HDMI output from the Bluray player goes into an HDMI splitter, so at the other end of the splitter you'll find two HDMI cables going into the splitter. These are the cables carrying the HDMI signal heading to the 2 TVs in the trailer. So, I plugged these two cables into the "HDMI output" ports of the matrix splitter.

Next, I plugged the HDMI output of the Bluray into "HDMI input 1" of the matrix, and plugged the HDMI output of the Apple TV into the "HDMI input 2" of the matrix. Plugging the matrix into electricity completes the install. Now, you can independently tell each TV which HDMI input they should use. Either TV can use either signal, either individually or concurrently. Works great! You can even change signals with the remote they include.

Today I will reassemble the cabinet including adding a couple of short wood screws to mount the matrix more durably to the cabinet itself.

Hope this helps - any more questions please ask."
Thanks Philip. One thing is not clear to me from your description - did you replace the factory HDMI splitter with the Matrix 4x2, or is the Matrix an addition?
Old 01-11-2017, 06:28 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Yes, the factory splitter is no longer required. The matrix accepts several inputs (for me, this is one from the factory BluRay player and now another one from my Apple TV) and is hooked up to both TVs. You can independently select which output goes to which TV. Handy stuff, and not too expensive (I love Monoprice).
Old 01-11-2017, 08:25 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Gold Country , California
I copied Philip in our 2017 25FB and we love it! Thanks again for the write up Philip, I would never have been able to figure it out on my own
NorCal Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Dallas , Texas
Excellent, thank you! Will the mono price splitter fit in the same cabinet as the blu ray, or does it have to remain outside?
Old 01-11-2017, 09:56 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB International
2011 23' International
Larkspur , Colorado
I did a similar install with my electronic gear. See my install photo attached. I have my blue ray and Apple TV as well as my two TV's connected to the Switch. I used Velcro Command Strips to keep every component from sliding around. I also have Weboost cellular signal booster located in this area of my cabinet. Cheers, Allan
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1484196774.172423.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	278045

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums
Bigcgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 07:20 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Apple TV Integration

Quote:
Yes, the factory splitter is no longer required. The matrix accepts several inputs (for me, this is one from the factory BluRay player and now another one from my Apple TV) and is hooked up to both TVs. You can independently select which output goes to which TV. Handy stuff, and not too expensive (I love Monoprice).
So, stupid question...what are you plugging the Apple TV Ethernet cable into or are you using your Wifi set up? If you're using Wifi would you mind sharing how you have that configured and what equipment you use?

Breathe in, Breathe out, Move On!
2017 Classic
2016 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 Diesel
ProPride 3p
Old 01-13-2017, 07:33 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' International
Dallas , Texas
Apple TV Integration

My understanding is that as of iOS 8 you can stream to the AppleTV with AirPlay without a wifi or Ethernet connection.

My personal plan is to download the content I want to play on my iDevices (all of which have 4G LTE) and then screencast them to the AppleTV when traveling in the Airstream.

Not sure if this is feasible with Apple Movies and TV. We buy all of our content on Amazon Prime Video so we can watch on any platform. Amazon allows downloads for watching while not connected to the internet.

Hope that helps.

We have been using this strategy with a wired HDMI connection from the iPad to a single TV. The AppleTV will allow us to do so wirelessly and also use the built in Airstream sound system vs TV audio (which is poor in comparison to the Airstream surround sound plus subwoofer).
Old 01-14-2017, 06:21 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirDFW View Post
Excellent, thank you! Will the mono price splitter fit in the same cabinet as the blu ray, or does it have to remain outside?
It must remain outside. The limiting factor is that the HDMI cables come off vertically and this isn't possible within the cabinet. I fixed mine to the cabinet with some velcro and it is a nice install.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:24 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoe7009 View Post
So, stupid question...what are you plugging the Apple TV Ethernet cable into or are you using your Wifi set up? If you're using Wifi would you mind sharing how you have that configured and what equipment you use?

Breathe in, Breathe out, Move On!
2017 Classic
2016 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 Diesel
ProPride 3p
Good question! I have an old airport express which I use as a wifi hub for my trailer. I did plug the Apple TV ethernet cable into that. Having the airport express (or any other router) allows me to AirPlay content on my devices to the AppleTV.
Old 01-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
My understanding is that as of iOS 8 you can stream to the AppleTV with AirPlay without a wifi or Ethernet connection.
I think (but am not certain) that the AppleTV needs to be connected to a common WiFi network in order to AirPlay. In other words, I do not think the AppleTV is able to create its own ad-hoc wifi network for an idevice to connect to. I solved this problem by using an airport express to make a local wifi network in my trailer. Nice and small and does the job.

Please correct me if I am wrong!
Old 01-14-2017, 06:40 AM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2022 30' Classic
Granville , Ohio
Phillips Jones

There are HDMI right angle connectors and other connectors that might allow you to place it in the same place, if space allows. Search on HDMI angle adapters.
Roadhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2017, 06:47 AM   #17
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
I think (but am not certain) that the AppleTV needs to be connected to a common WiFi network in order to AirPlay. In other words, I do not think the AppleTV is able to create its own ad-hoc wifi network for an idevice to connect to. I solved this problem by using an airport express to make a local wifi network in my trailer. Nice and small and does the job.

Please correct me if I am wrong!
The Apple TV 4 supports bluetooth streaming from 2012 and up MacBooks and iOS 7.1 devices (and higher).
Old 01-20-2017, 08:45 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2016 30' International
Florence , Alabama
Quote:
Not sure if this is feasible with Apple Movies and TV. We buy all of our content on Amazon Prime Video so we can watch on any platform. Amazon allows downloads for watching while not connected to the internet.
The Amazon app will allow Airplay streaming wirelessly.
joshjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:39 AM   #19
Mike from Canmore

2018 27' Flying Cloud
Calgary , Alberta
Quote:
I'm sure this has been posted elsewhere, but has anyone figured out how to integrate an Apple TV (or any other ancillary HDMI device, for that matter) into the full A/V system on a late model Airstream trailer? A redirect to a related thread (if that exists) would be appreciated.

The BluRay player has access to both TVs and the stereo. Can't figure out where to patch in the Apple TV for similar dual TV plus audio access.

I understand that I can patch an Apple TV directly to either flat panel, use Bluetooth audio, and view on a single display at any given time. Not ideal and forces me to buy two ATVs if I want to be able to watch on both at any given time.
I have an even more basic question- How are you streaming Apple TV to your trailer? Is the WiFi available in RV parks fast enough to handle it?
Mike G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Green Cove Springs , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
I have an even more basic question- How are you streaming Apple TV to your trailer? Is the WiFi available in RV parks fast enough to handle it?

We use Apple TV to stream movies and other content previously downloaded on our iPads or iPhones. The WiFi in most TV parks is not sufficient for streaming movies on Apple TV.