Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-13-2022, 03:59 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Any Airstream Audiophiles? What stereo system/speakers did you switch to?

Am curious if there are any audiophiles in the airstream community. And if so, what system and speakers did you use to replace the Airstream factory setup in your travel trailer?

We have a new 2022 Globetrotter 27FB Twin. I didn't have to listen to the factory Fusion head unit plus speakers for very long before I started thinking about upgrading it.

Given how many other recent upgrades we have made to our new trailer, it will probably be a while before I think about tackling the audio system and improving the sound, but I was curious if others have already done so and what they switched to and whether they were happy with the end result?
foobar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 07:43 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2022 27' Globetrotter
Newberg , Oregon
Subscribed.

Same trailer. No place to put my old Klipsch corner horns or studio monitors.

Have you browsed around Crutchfields?
99TJSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2022, 08:30 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Northern , California
I haven’t purchased mine yet, but used to be a professional classical musician which turned into audiophilia once I got a real job And it turns out I’ve been thinking about this.

I don’t think there’s much you can do in a RV for a speaker system. Especially not a AS with all those hard surfaces. Not unless you did a horn system like Oris that wouldn’t fit in there anyhow. I think they have speakers, just midrange ones firing down on the dinette? Yeah …

Well so I’d go with cans which are my preferred now anyhow. For reference I went off the deep end and did planers, horns, yeah magnetic cones, etc etc but ended up in headphones. Stax electrostatic specifically. So I’m planning on setting up a pair with driver. Advantage is small, light, travels well, and won’t bother your partner too much (they are open backed). If you wanted something cheaper there are some planer magnetics that are interesting - I haven’t tried them but they would be my first alternate.

But yeah get some good cans, pair with a nice amp/driver and DAC with non compressed source and you’re set. To my ears only the Stax comes closest to reproducing a full orchestra, but find what you like. For regular magnetics Beyers are the best to my ears - I use them in my studio.
DrivingDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 05:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
I’d get a good set of headphones. I use a pair of Grados and a portable DAC. I’m sure you could change out some things to make it better but I don’t ever seeing it compare to my home system no matter how much I would be willing to spend.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 06:21 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Very interesting idea! There is a lot of room for improvement with RV systems such low quality components when looking up “rv audio”, but like you stated not an ideal environment for sound. May not be practical to have the same expectations of a home system in the AS.

That being said; because we are on 12v system, look into car audio. There are a lot of high-end speakers, head units, amp that could drop in and offer big improvements in quality without changing the type of system. I started with changing out speakers to Morel and that alone was a huge improvement. Now running off the internal amp on the Furrion TV with 2 zones. I am an audio(phile) guy and with these changes I’m quite satisfied. Due to space constraints, probably will not make any other changes
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 07:04 AM   #6
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
KISS...most 'listening' is done while 'laxing outside. We just added a pair of Bose Companion 2 speakers, works for the Television also.
POI...rarely watch T vision.
The longer we listen outside the better they sound.

Now indoors it's an entirely different story.

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2B5190F8-BBCF-4312-B2DC-49516B12A404_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	424022   Click image for larger version

Name:	BFC7BC78-12F5-4A3A-BF63-4E17AA205F8B_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	337.1 KB
ID:	424023  

Old 10-14-2022, 08:22 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1969 18' Caravel
Greenville , whereEverIroam
I agree that given the atrocious acoustic environment inside an airstream trailer, the best sound is going to be heard through a high-quality set of headphones, unless you want the bone rattling from a subwoofer. This also has all the advantages mentioned above.

I would be curious, however, to hear reports from anyone who has tried some of the high-end smart speakers from vendors, like Sonos, which reportedly monitor the acoustic environment, and adjust their output accordingly.

It's also interesting to see what professional recording artists have done to old airstreams, although recording sound is a different animal from accurately reproducing sound. Note the measures taken to completely change the environment, reflective surfaces, etc. via isolation walls, baffles, etc.

skyguyscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 08:34 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Thanks for the responses.

Due to weight, space, and storage issues, I will probably focus on upgrading the factory speakers and subwoofer to start with (any recommendations?) that do not require wholesale rework of their mounting locations. Then I might look at the Fusion head unit if I'm not happy with the sound after the speaker upgrades. Inspiration and equipment will likely come from the 12v car audio world.

I'm looking for decent sound (but not state of the art due to the admittedly poor acoustics in an aluminum shelled travel trailer) on movies and for general purpose music listening (for background ambience, i.e. not critical listening).

For refined listening, we would go in the direction of a good set of headphones.

So, any thoughts on speaker/subwoofer upgrades and perhaps head unit upgrades?

I'd love to be able to implement some form of basic 5.1 surround sound, but that doesn't seem super practical. As part of the upgrades that are in progress, we have pulled a good quality optical cable from the lounge TV to the Fusion head unit. This could potentially enable a modest surround setup, but I'm not sure how I would go about assigning speakers for front and rear left/right. No clue what I could do for a center channel either. This would be an interesting challenge/experiment ...
Old 10-14-2022, 09:02 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1984 27' Airstream 270
West Chester , Ohio
Head unit: alpine and clarion make quality units. Speakers, aforementioned morel, focal, infinity

Crutchfield.com would be a great source of info and customer support. Give them a call and likely give you some direction for quality components for this application and install tips
Kvsterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 09:34 AM   #10
Stay CazuaL

2018 25' Flying Cloud
2014 19' Flying Cloud
Reseda , California
Short answer: Unless your rig is prep properly, any speaker will do. Aluminum (hard surfaces) is not a great sound environment.

Long version: You would need to condition your power (pure sinewave). You would need good quality audio wires roughly $300/ft and connectors for around $150/per (at the bare minimum). Every surface would have to be treated, not sure how viable this is. This list can be extensive for what you are asking for.

The result is don't spend crazy money on speakers if you don't have the back-end support, otherwise, you will just be donating to the economy. Speakers around $1000/each would be good enough for the rig.
*Virtual campfire at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Airs...dictsforAdults
cazual6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:15 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2021 28' Flying Cloud
Neenah , WI
We bought our 2020 AS Fly Cloud with a Bose sound system (I believe it was an upgrade system) from the original owner. We are very happy with the sound and programable for different zones. We also bought bluetooth speakers that work with our TV's so we get a great surround sound for movie nights.
ColleenA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 10:55 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
I somewhat disagree on the consensus of the poor acoustics of the airstream. The absence of parallel walls in an airstream means that it will sound a more "live" than it should but should be almost entirely devoid of nodes (with exception to issues derived by the flat surfaces of the cabinetry). There is definitely a little flutter happening but it could surely be worse. From a listening standpoint, the main issue (at least with our floor plan) is the lack of an ideal listening point in relation to where they install the speakers. Laying on the table lengthwise gives you the ideal spot but I don't think anyone is doing that.

I have a small project recording studio at home so have some equipment. I have a linear microphone and high end audio interface. I'd be willing to do a capture of the interior of the airstream and post the results.

Slightly related, SSL (pro audio manufacturer) has a mobile mixing/broadcast studio that I was able to tour. Lots of treatment - it sounded totally dead in there. The Genelec monitor system was incredible. I was able to hear a live concert happening right outside mixed through an SSL XL Desk through the Genelecs that was ultimately being streamed - pretty impressive.
Old 10-14-2022, 11:22 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2017 Basecamp
Aloha , Oregon
We have a Basecamp, so even less room than your typical Airstream. A couple of Boom bluetooth speakers are about all we have room for. They sound decent. Surprising amount of bass.
roc97007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:39 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

2022 19' Bambi
Northeastern , Pennsylvania
I agree with Brad--biggest challenge is speaker placement and listening position. Just look what all of the studio conversion folks did in the pictures posted previously--they got good placement/position. Without addressing that, I don't think "audiophile" quality is achievable.

If the use includes the TV, I might suggest looking into a compact sound bar that you could mount right under the TV, with a wireless subwoofer you could put, e.g., under the dinette. I think that would improve the placement issue without an unduly complicated install. A nice wireless speaker (there are good high end options) would also likely provide a big improvement and flexibility with minimal effort, though potentially costing counter space.
DarthBrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 11:54 AM   #15
2 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Laurel , Maryland
Watching

Quote:
Originally Posted by foobar View Post
Am curious if there are any audiophiles in the airstream community. And if so, what system and speakers did you use to replace the Airstream factory setup in your travel trailer?

We have a new 2022 Globetrotter 27FB Twin. I didn't have to listen to the factory Fusion head unit plus speakers for very long before I started thinking about upgrading it.

Given how many other recent upgrades we have made to our new trailer, it will probably be a while before I think about tackling the audio system and improving the sound, but I was curious if others have already done so and what they switched to and whether they were happy with the end result?
I haven’t upgraded the speakers yet …..I put a cheap Kenwood DPX-794-BH
and added my inside Sirius head.
As you can see, all custom install, I AM limited to 6” diameter car speakers.
Looking at Infiniy’s or Polk’s.

I will be following this thread. Rick
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	5DF3226C-EF33-4D93-9E19-DD372BF99488.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	462.0 KB
ID:	424035  
Rick n Mary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:00 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 16' Sport
Miami , Florida
If you want to upgrade the stereo then there are probably lots of options. If you want what most audiophiles would consider an audiophile quality system then its probably a futile endeavor.
At the risk of sounding snotty words like Bose, sound bars and subwoofers are not generally associated with audiophile.
Shiny16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2022, 12:20 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2022 27' Globetrotter
DALLAS , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiny16 View Post
If you want to upgrade the stereo then there are probably lots of options. If you want what most audiophiles would consider an audiophile quality system then its probably a futile endeavor.
At the risk of sounding snotty words like Bose, sound bars and subwoofers are not generally associated with audiophile.
Yeah, true ....

So let's call this an Audiophile "lite" discussion

My wife would kill me if I turned the trailer into an anechoic chamber and removed all of the cabinetry so I could achieve perfect speaker placement
Old 10-14-2022, 12:25 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2021 27' International
Raleigh , North Carolina
Those with queen beds centered on the front or back of the trailer have the potential for a decent bedroom listening space if one is driven enough to run wires to the opposing bedroom walls... while not "easy", probably better than listening while laying flat.

Me being a "twinner" won't have that option.
Old 10-14-2022, 04:29 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
McHenry , Illinois
Foobar, after living through the 60-70’s and listening to loud music, concerts, auto garage sounds my audiophile hearing days are gone. I do remember listening to my Dahlquist DQ10’s through a tube amp, the last high end gear I bought before getting married though. Didn’t have the budget for the Corner Horns!

That said, there are some pretty good sounding WiFi systems that can be placed where they sound best inside the trailer. No need for a head unit as your phone probably has your library. The forward facing cabinet speakers in the GT are not at the optimum location anyway.

I have an original HomePod that sounds amazing for its size. Wish I had a 2nd one before they quit making that model. Rumor has it there’s v2 coming.

Following to see what you end up doing!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FACFE3FD-A0FE-4A8E-9673-015E73CF13B5.jpeg
Views:	36
Size:	26.3 KB
ID:	424072  
WBCCI# 10258
RETIRED!
jeffmc306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022, 08:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Petaluma , California
Hey Foobar, here's what I did: https://www.airforums.com/forums/f45...ml#post2612449

And yes, I'm happy with the result(s). I order as much gear as I can from Crutchfield. Excellent organization and customer service and support.

At home I run all tube electronics (pre-amp and amp) with a Grado cartridge at the beginning and Ohm Walsh 2 speakers at the end. I thought about bringing vinyl on the road but deemed it a bad idea on many levels. - Brad
SuperTrouper is offline   Reply With Quote