Old 07-10-2020, 03:42 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Antenna Upgrade

Has anyone replaced the factory supplied TV antenna with a Winegard Razor Automatic Antenna? This antenna is a bit costly, about $350.00, but might be a worthwhile upgrade to the Winegard Omnidirectional Roadstar 3000 Antenna that is on late model Airstreams (the white flying saucer). Look forward to reply.

Additionally, if not the Winegard Razor Automatic, what have you upgraded to.

Thanks in advance.

uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 03:47 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
Charlotte , North Carolina
We switched to a Kind directional we adjust from inside. I picks up quite a bit more when we are in the mountains. But we hardly watch TV. It is good for the local news/weather/events.

LilPeanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:22 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County , North Carolina
I just added a Wingman to the original antenna on both of my trailers. I can pick up 40 or more channels setting in the driveway at home NC, 30 or more at my parking spot in FL. While traveling it varies by remoteness of location.
Channels 40-50 miles away are great. Beyond that it depends a lot on interference, hilly terrain/weather/solar/ ect.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:25 PM   #4
GLCMRANGER - Sue

2016 25' International
Littlestown , Pennsylvania
yes. It's much better than the Roadstar. You can program it for more channels.
glcmranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 04:47 PM   #5
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Friends of ours have a Rayzar Automatic and it works okay but can be a bit finicky. They had to replace the gear/motor early on (under warranty). I think Winegard has fixed the gear/motor problem on subsequent production runs. It does not pick up as many channels as a Sensar III w/Wingman or the Sensar IV.

With the Rayzar Automatic you must ensure it is not in the "shadow" of any rooftop appliances such as the air conditioner or vent shrouds.

The disadvantage of the Sensar system is the need for hole in the roof.

Regardless of which antenna you use be aware that HDTV signals are very directional. We have found it necessary to rescan local channels depending on which way we "point" our Sensar antenna. The same can be true of the Rayzar - I think it finds up to 3 directions that have some number of useful signals and you may need to rescan (depending on how your TV works) in order to access all the channels in a given area.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 06:48 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2019 27' Globetrotter
Martinsburg , West Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
Has anyone replaced the factory supplied TV antenna with a Winegard Razor Automatic Antenna? This antenna is a bit costly, about $350.00, but might be a worthwhile upgrade to the Winegard Omnidirectional Roadstar 3000 Antenna that is on late model Airstreams (the white flying saucer). Look forward to reply.

Additionally, if not the Winegard Razor Automatic, what have you upgraded to.

Thanks in advance.
Doesn't look like the Winegard Omnidirectional Roadstar 3000 Antenna is available anymore? Don't see it on the Winegard site. If that is so, what is Airstream installing now on the 2021 models?

Anyway following this thread. I often get no channels at all with the Roadstar 3000. Don't watch that much TV but sometimes I fire it up and check local programming if we can't get Internet where we are.

Steve
stevejones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2018 26' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
North Central Texas , USA
Following...

We like to use the tv for local news/weather but our '19 FC has the antenna lower than and in-between the 2 ac's. Not a great location. There must be a better idea/solution.
Old 07-11-2020, 07:04 AM   #8
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
I switched to this.

BIG improvement, and uses the OEM lift arm.👍

Bob
🇺🇸

"Worry...a brain exercise done when it really wants to sleep"
RLC

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 07:30 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I switched to this.

BIG improvement, and uses the OEM lift arm.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
That is what I have, as well, and I like it. But it is not applicable on the newer trailers without a lift arm. Once AS went to ducted air and the omni antenna, it was a step in the wrong direction.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #10
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
That is what I have, as well, and I like it. But it is not applicable on the newer trailers without a lift arm. Once AS went to ducted air and the omni antenna, it was a step in the wrong direction.

Larry
Ah, yes - I didn't think about the "thicker" roof of the ducted air models. I didn't realize that's why Airstream stopped using the Sensar (lift arm) antenna systems. Makes sense in some ways.

Don't you think Winegard has an extension shaft or can otherwise adapt the lift arm mechanism to an Airstream with the hump on the roof. Is the ducted air roof dramatically different in design? Is the entire humped area a duct? I seem to recall two parallel ducts running the length of the trailer. Regardless, seems like the lift arm design could be adapted. Am I missing something? Maybe this is a discussion for another thread but it's related to the antenna upgrade question.

FWIW... I've attended two Winegard seminars at two different locations with two different reps. Both said the Sensar clearly provides the highest gain (most channels) compared to any of their other products. I think the same would be true for other brands of antennas that use the lift arm to achieve a higher stance for the antenna as well as providing a means to rotate the antenna to accommodate the directionality of TV signals when needed.
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
Old 07-11-2020, 08:18 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Don't know about the design, I have heard of people retrofitting directional antennas to the new roof, with the added complication of roof seals. The cynic in me believes that Airstream did not want to incur the additional expense and complication of properly sealing a rotating antenna to the new design...easier to just bolt on a fixed antenna.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:29 AM   #12
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
...easier to just bolt on a fixed antenna.
Yes, a fixed antenna with lesser performance. Disappointing.

The OP may want to try the Rayzar Automatic if they don't have any items on the roof that will hamper the field of view.

As I mentioned, our friends have a Rayzar - after it scans it saves three directions A/B/C that each have strong signals. But they don't know which channels are in which direction. Depending on which channel they want to watch, they may need to "point" the Rayzar in the appropriate direction. They compare the Rayzar information to the antenna information they find on the Antenna Point (or similar) smart phone app and then tell the Rayzar to go to position A, B or C. Most of the time this works.

We use a similar method, comparing a compass reading to our smart phone antenna app, to know which way to point our Sensar with Batwing.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:09 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Thanks for reply

Lots of good info. Great group of folks to share info.

My Winegard Roadstar just quit working last week. Called Winegard and they said it was probably power supply. They sent me one and I switched it out and that did not fix it. The Tech said if the power supply did not fix it that the antenna would need to be replaced.

The replacement for the Roadstar is called MAX360+. Ugly black thing about 15" in diameter. Yuck! I am going call my selling dealer and see if they can get a replacement Roadstar from JC. If they can't get one I may try the Razor Automatic. The roadstar did pull in a bunch of channels where we stay in Florida for the winter. Here at my home in the mountains of western N. Carolina I can only get 4 channels. See what happens. Thanks for all the input.
Old 07-11-2020, 09:26 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Correction

The replacement for the Winegard Roadstar 3000 is the Winegard AIR360+ not the MAX360+. Just wanted to correct my mistake. Still is a ugly thing!!
Old 07-13-2020, 03:31 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Antenna upgrade update

So...new power supply sent from Winegard did not fix no reception problem.

I was at the dreaded Camping World and noticed they had 4 Winegard replacement power supply hanging in the Antenna display section. I thought what the heck, I will pop the $36.00 and just try another power supply. Bingo!!! TV reception once again. The unit sent to me by Winegard was defective right out of the box.

I called my selling dealer to have them ship me a proper power supply (they shipped me an incorrect part first time) under a warranty claim. I figure if CW had 4 of these hanging on the wall they must sell a few. This way I will have a backup when the current one bites the dust.

The nice guy at Winegard did tell me the Roadstar 3000 is no longer available. I checked to see what antenna Airstream is installing on the 2021 models and they are still installing the Roadstar 3000. They must have purchased a bunch of them and are using up old, outdated stock. As I mentioned in an earlier reply the replacement is the AIR360+. Large ugly black (not available in white) thing. It does say it has a 55 mile range compared to the 35 mile range of the Roadstaar 3000. Maybe an upgrade is in the future but for now we are back on the air. Happy travels.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
I placed my Wingard Razor on top the rear AC. It works good. The disk antenna was easy to remove. These a coaxed coupling right at the bottom of it. They include a cover plate for the hole with the Razor.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 05:32 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
Middletown , Rhode Island
I use a king omni pro and it picks up quite a bit of stations.
Mx468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 08:37 AM   #18
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
I placed my Wingard Razor on top the rear AC. It works good. The disk antenna was easy to remove. These a coaxed coupling right at the bottom of it. They include a cover plate for the hole with the Razor.
Bigventure, I think you're the only reply to this thread from someone who actually has a Rayzar Automatic.

I've included some thoughts in prior posts about how my friends describe the operation of their Rayzar Automatic but I may be wrong or misunderstood.

Please tell us your experience with day to day operation. Particularly when arriving at a new location, how do you set it up (scan?)? What happens when you are in an area where the broadcast towers may be in more than one direction?
Old 07-14-2020, 01:06 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Hinckley , Ohio
Antenna Upgrade

The operation is very easy. Just push the upper left power button. It scans and finds the most channels. Then do a channel scan on your set. Digital signals are straight. If you want other stations that are not found, then hit the top right button to go to the next best location and rescan your set. You can also adjust it using the lower left and right buttons. I think mine works good because it is above the ACs. They would block it function. Even with it on top the AC the trailer is still low.
I purchased mine at Camping World on a great sale. It failed right after my install. Winegard replaced it with the new and improved design.

I chose America
Bigventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2020, 01:32 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2004 25' Safari
2018 26' Flying Cloud
2019 25' Flying Cloud
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigventure View Post
If I understand correctly, you just mounted it to the a/c shroud??