Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-15-2020, 07:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 30' Classic
Hinckley , Ohio
The AC cover on the Penguin unit come off very easily. Four Philips screws and its off. I laid it out so the coaxed cord run forward to connect to the old disk hole.

I even had that AC replaced under warranty. I told them just swap the covers and put the old one back on.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	9FB19822-A831-4B69-A621-212D4A53A60F.jpeg
Views:	37
Size:	293.1 KB
ID:	372964   Click image for larger version

Name:	8C973854-0FF5-4B80-A2EE-9EB85ECFABA1.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	372965  

Old 08-01-2020, 12:21 PM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Logansport , Indiana
This is the antenna I installed on our 76 Ambassador. Nothing real fancy or expensive like the others mentioned. But setting beside my steel garage I literally just pulled 5 channels in. But last weekend at our campsite we had 18 channels and the month before we received 30 channels. Two different state parks. It is mounted to the original antenna frame (old factory antenna removed). I made the the supports from aluminum and a brass 1 inch hose barb. Currently the coax runs in through the window by the tv. I need to figure out how to run it inside the wall and ceiling. The old antenna used the old 300 ohm flat wire and this uses a 75 ohm coax. This antenna is (believe it or not) a Walmart ONN 150 mile range HD antenna for like $50-60. SiL bought for us, I had planned on sticking on. Collaspable pole that sat outside but I figured mounted on top would be better for reception. Laugh all you want but it works good and for us. And at the rally we just at last weekend no one said anything bad and was impressed how I set it up. Plus not only can I rotate it with the AS factory set up the antenna comes with a rotor built in.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1596305287290733994223711726660.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	338.3 KB
ID:	374568   Click image for larger version

Name:	15963053167091926933160238996215.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	382.2 KB
ID:	374569  

SlvrTwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 12:35 PM   #23
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I’m on the Mobile Internet Aficianados group and just posed a question about antenna. I want to add a 5th 100w panel where the wingman is. There is the Air 360 that goes OTA with WiFi extender for around 2 bills. For another $180 you can add cellular with internal SIM with a router. Then there’s WiFi Ranger. Like the v c lean, shark fin look, but I’ve heard the high gain WiFi extender could / might negate the OTA ability.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:48 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Winegard Air360+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfwhistle View Post
I’m on the Mobile Internet Aficianados group and just posed a question about antenna. I want to add a 5th 100w panel where the wingman is. There is the Air 360 that goes OTA with WiFi extender for around 2 bills. For another $180 you can add cellular with internal SIM with a router. Then there’s WiFi Ranger. Like the v c lean, shark fin look, but I’ve heard the high gain WiFi extender could / might negate the OTA ability.
The Winegard AIR360+ is available at the dreaded CW for $129.00. It only comes in black. Ugly thing on an AS roof. The Internet/WiFi/Router option is also at CW for around $300.00. I just checked these out last month when I experienced some problems with the original Winegard Roadstar 3000 that come on our AS from factory. Turned out to be easy fix as it was only a bad power supply. Windgard shipped me one for free after a bit of go around.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2020, 06:27 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by uraljohn View Post
The Winegard AIR360+ is available at the dreaded CW for $129.00. It only comes in black. Ugly thing on an AS roof. The Internet/WiFi/Router option is also at CW for around $300.00. I just checked these out last month when I experienced some problems with the original Winegard Roadstar 3000 that come on our AS from factory. Turned out to be easy fix as it was only a bad power supply. Windgard shipped me one for free after a bit of go around.
If you just want the antenna functionality, the Winegard Air 360 (without the plus) is available in white on Amazon for $90. Winegard lists the features as:

- Easiest to Install – Easiest rooftop HDTV antenna installation of all rooftop antennas on the market.
- New Sleek Style – Damage potential reduced through elimination of pedestal design.
- 360° Reception – No aiming or pointing! The AIR 360° is always ready for reception, receiving signals from up to 50 miles away.
- Tested for Durability – Durable, low-profile dome gives RVers peace of mind.
- Upgrade Easily – Quick replacement for the Winegard RoadStar antenna.
Old 08-05-2020, 09:57 AM   #26
Wolfwhistle

Margaritaville , Banana Republic
I bought the simple white Winegard 360 from Amazon. Its has a boosted OTA tv and radio antenna. Not sure its worth the price, but it will allow tv at some locations. No doubt it isn't as good as the Batwing / crank up antenna I will be removing.

Its pretty cheap looking inside, but the dome looks decent. The OTA antenna is a flat film of thin plastic... kind of like electronic card artwork. The booster is on the artwork as is the coax connector for it. I don't know how long it will stay together bouncing down the road.

The radio antenna is a simple loop (I removed it from the dome) and won't be using. Neither the wall plate. I will keep the existing wall plate with the cig plug.

Another surprise... it is designed to only mount over the hole in the roof. I will use a gland nut for the cable passage and drill the dome.

I will use a 2 cable entry gland, to pass booster and coax to the new antenna at the old location under the new 5th 100w panel. Its like they use for solar wiring at the roof.

I have ordered Weboost OTR antenna that should be here today, that I will mount to the rear of the rear F. Fan, in front of the radio antenna. This is the best antenna I have found for cell booster.
WW