Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2008, 09:55 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Antenna Cable Threading -Help!

Mornin',

We are trying to thread cable of replacement Winegard TV antenna from roof down thru walls of trailer to the outlet/amplifier. It's aint' happening...

Are we going to need to do something extraordinary to get that cable to the outlet?

We have the 2003 Ltd Sofa Slideout.

Cindy/Carl
carl johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1967 22' Safari
Deer Park , Washington
I have the same problem and looking forward to an answer other than removing the inside panels.
custom67as is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
Don't know how the newer units are configured...our 78 has an interior panel down the center of the ceiling that's removable, with some effort, by removing several pop rivets to get to the wiring overhead.

I removed the original TV antenna in order to install a new Trav'let Sat antenna system. I had to 'fish' two coax cables and one control cable down forward to the old outlet box...I didn't want to deal with having to take the foward domed, plastic interior lining loose.

I used the original flat type TV antenna lead to 'pull' the new cables. I carefully attached the new cables to the old lead in a tapered sort of connection so there wasn't one big bulge. I also used a small piece of braided wire cable along the cable for add'l strength, and of course would electricians tape over the connections. I also coated the outside of the completed tape with some liquid detergent to help it slide....

It worked just fine, and the three cables slid through any existing clamps without any problems...it was a good sight to see my taped connection come into sight...
Old 07-11-2008, 03:44 PM   #4
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Hillsboro , Texas
Thanks much for getting info to us. Very good detail and useful for other upcoming projects.

Our layout has the fridge on the opposite side from antenna & amplifier and another 10 ft away so that would mean a lot of cable distance to the amplifier. Carl has been futzing and futzing with the situation. Just now he is cleaning up after drilling a
hole on the inside ceiling in another location that is at a "5-o'clock" position from the antenna hole - halfway between antenna and amplifier.

Mission Accomplished - after much pushing of various other cables (duct taped and pointed), string tied to cable, string broke, fish tape getting caught in insulation & cables... etc. He 'finally' !! succeeded in threading the antenna cable between antenna hole and '5-o'clock' hole. He brought the cable the rest of the way down the
inside wall along the plastic seam for about 2 ft to the amplifier. He bought white cable for blending purposes. ~c:

We are again in business and watchin' tv. Crappy summer repeats, at that.

Thanks again.
carl johnson is offline   Reply With Quote