Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2007, 03:32 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1971 27' Overlander
Cornville , Arizona
AM Antenna Again

My 71 Overlander has the OEM radio antenna with that round rubber mount. Has anyone replaced it with an aftermarket antenna? If so where did you get it? I see universal mounts for about $10 in the auto supply stores but I don't know if it will work.
Old 02-26-2007, 06:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
fishing

I have not replaced mine but want to. I am more concerned with fishing the new antenna cable through the coach than the antenna itself. I also notice that while my cars pick up some stations fine the radios in my streams do not. The radios are pretty good aftermarket so I suspect there is a difference in the receptivity of the old factory antennae.
Old 02-26-2007, 07:06 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1971 27' Overlander
Central , Ohio
Also a 71 Overlander

The antenna on our 71 looks original also. Chrome ball with a spring lead to the antenna. Replaced the old original radio with a cheap Dual brand. In our case the A/S gets reception that astounds me - much better than the Durango sitting right next to it - both am/fm.

Maybe the antenna leads just need a good cleaning at both ends? Think I have the Service Manual diagram of the connections/install/removal if you think it will help.
Ganglin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 05:36 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
AM/FM antenna.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niftypkg
My 71 Overlander has the OEM radio antenna with that round rubber mount. Has anyone replaced it with an aftermarket antenna? If so where did you get it? I see universal mounts for about $10 in the auto supply stores but I don't know if it will work.
Hi niftypkg; The one antenna we found to work just about anywhere is Shakespere Model 4351. Price about $65.00. It is 3' antenna with 1"-14 thread nylon ferrule, and it would require Sea Dog SDG3296001 swivel mount.
One better yet is Shakespere SHA5420XT which is a 4' tall, and will fit the same Sea Dog mount. They are available through any Marine dealers. Price for 5420XT about $110.00. Above SS mount about $47.00. Thanks, "Boatdoc".
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
The problem on my antenae on my 71 and 73 is the base mount is dried out. My antennea no longer point up, but down. I also can't unscrew the mounting bolts without them spinning so I guess I will have to cut them. Suggestions?
Old 02-27-2007, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 26
Norristown , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
The problem on my antenae on my 71 and 73 is the base mount is dried out. My antennea no longer point up, but down. I also can't unscrew the mounting bolts without them spinning so I guess I will have to cut them. Suggestions?
Hi Marshall; Even if you cut them, you will need to bolt it back in. You might as well remove the inner skin just enough to get to it and make worth while repair. Thanks, "Boatdoc"
boatdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2007, 10:29 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Our Overlander has a bracket mounted on the roof, between the air conditioner and fridge vent. That way you don't have to remove interior skin, and the antenna is more centered, leading to more uniform reception.