Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-01-2005, 12:08 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Alien Antenae??

Hello all!

Got the stereo back up and running. Bad fuse in the WAAAYYYYY back of the endcap.... That is another whole email.....!

So, got the Sony back up and functional and found the 'front' speakers. Hidden up in the ceiling.... Another PO feature?!?!?

So, Annyyyway. Got everything back hooked up and functional and NO reception. ZIP. Not AM!, not FM. Nothing.

Had a former college life as a amateur car stereo installer and cannot remember not getting ANY reception at all. Even AM worked if the antenea was messed up. Is there an AS particular thing I am missing?? Is there a voodoo incantation that I don't know about?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

Ciao

Axel
SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 01:30 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Recheck your ant connection to make sure it's on tight..You might have a bad connector or worse..cable
Good luck to you~
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 02:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Antanea thru Endcap?

Thanks for the response!

Does the ananea cable go from the front endcap directly over the top to the Crank up antanea and out the roof ther? Or is that simply a TV antanea hook up? Where else should I be looking to get this sorted.....?

So many AS questions and time is running out.....

Ciao

Axel
Old 04-01-2005, 06:03 AM   #4
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Rivet Adhesive Antennae

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverToy
Thanks for the response!

Does the ananea cable go from the front endcap directly over the top to the Crank up antanea and out the roof ther? Or is that simply a TV antanea hook up? Where else should I be looking to get this sorted.....?

So many AS questions and time is running out.....

Ciao

Axel
The antennae cable, unless it is vastly different from all others I have seen, does not attach to the TV antennae. As a last resort, to get your radio, umm, radio-ing, you can go to your friendly Radio Shack, and get an automobile antennae that will stick to the glass on the inside of you front window, kind of like GM did with theirs in the 1970's windshields. Last one I bought was reasonable, around $5.
Then you can have some kind of radio reception, and track down the problem at your leasure. Or, it may work so well you may just leave it as-is. There is nothing so permanent as a functional temporary installation...
Old 04-01-2005, 06:25 AM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Can't edit

Well, for some reason I can't go back in and revise the previous post, so I will have to add another.
I saw in another thread (the one about the smoke) that the radio hasn't worked since the wiring incident. You may just have a radio that the receiver has been toasted. If this is the case, a really nice JVC or Sony AM FM CD car player with a remote is around $200.00. Just replace the radio and be done with it...
Old 04-01-2005, 07:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Using a process of eliminatation I would try another antenna and then try another stereo. Any stereo would do. Just to see if your connections are working.
Do you get any "white noise" from the speakers? If you do not, then chances are the head unit is toast.
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 10:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
This may sound crazy but make sure your 12 volt battery is charged. On my 94, when I removed the batteries the radio would power from the converter but since it's not filtered DC power (Older Magnetek) it would only play a loud crackling sound occasionally. The battery filters and provides the radio with clean power. Long shot maybe, but worth a try.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:34 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Radio Update

Hello all -

Thanks for ALL the replies on my radio issue.

Will be getting a new head unit and hoping for the best. Will report when I get the parts and get it all installed.

Ciao

Axel
Old 04-04-2005, 12:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

New Borockton , Alabama
Having just read your other post on charging issues, I still think your radio and antenna might be fine but maybe not. Check that battery power one more time.
68 Overlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Hello all -

New wrinkle. Ahead of the new head unit with an add on CD player ($400 + bucks), I had a thought.

What about a mini-component stereo? Could install (with an aluminum look face too!) and mount in the endcap. Did wonder about the current speakers, don't think that they will work ( ohms issues?) so would need 'new' speakers.

All these units come with remotes, CD player, cassette plus audio inputs for a TV or whatever....

Thoughts????? Anyone?!?!!

Ciao

Axel
Old 04-08-2005, 04:08 AM   #11
uwe

2007 25' Safari FB SE
1958 22' Flying Cloud
1974 29' Ambassador
Yucca Valley , California
Send a message via Skype™ to uwe
Quote:
Hello all -

New wrinkle. Ahead of the new head unit with an add on CD player ($400 + bucks), I had a thought.

What about a mini-component stereo? Could install (with an aluminum look face too!) and mount in the endcap. Did wonder about the current speakers, don't think that they will work ( ohms issues?) so would need 'new' speakers.

All these units come with remotes, CD player, cassette plus audio inputs for a TV or whatever....

Thoughts????? Anyone?!?!!

Ciao

Axel
Those run on 120V, usually. This means you must have 120V in teh end cap, and it won't work when you're not hooked up. Unless you use an inverter, etc. etc. Seems like a hassle when there are very good Automotive sound systems available. Also, those are designed to take shock and heat, everything your trailer will dish out while travelling.
You can get the remote and aux inputs on Automotive head units as well.
Old 04-08-2005, 09:41 AM   #12
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uwe
.... Seems like a hassle when there are very good Automotive sound systems available. Also, those are designed to take shock and heat, everything your trailer will dish out while travelling.
You can get the remote and aux inputs on Automotive head units as well.
This is what I plan to do during my rebuild. Have you determined the radio is actually bad (in other words, have you completely ruled out the antenna)? The reason I ask is that in my '73, the TV and Radio do indeed share the outside TV antenna through a common connection in an "amplifier" type device on the living room wall. There's a lot of difference between my TT and yours, so the point may be moot. I can send a couple of pic's tonight, if need be.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 10:15 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1990 34' Excella
Windcrest , Texas
Stereo Set Up

Quote:
Hello all -

Axel
We installed a basic 4-channel auto CD player from Pioneer which was compatible with satellite radio. Thus we went ahead and purchased the Sirius satellite radio system and installed this at the same time. You are correct about changing the speakers since the old Motorla 8-track system used 3.2 ohm speakers. You don't want to hook these up to a new system. Overall we spent less than $400 buck on the whole outfit and it sound incredible. The next step is new carpet and hardwood floors. More to follow.

Mitch
Swanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 11:43 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Interim(?) solution - for now....

Hello all -

Just as an update on my interim 'for now' solution. Got the XM as mentioned, it has an FM modulation unit that is integrated. Took a portable boom box radio that was basically unused in the house and brought it into SilverToy. That gets plugged into the 120 outlet and the radio sits on the endcap ledge by the Lounge sofa along with the XM unit and antenna. At night, this allows me to get XM on the BBradio in the Lounge bunk ( my spot!) while the rest of the family is bunked/playing/sleeping in the rear and Dinette. Can turn it to really low so I can get my tunes whilst I read, while they do their things.

Not overly elegant or especially invisible, but it works really well. Interim? Maybe....we'll see. Factory Sony is toast, but in no hurry to give it the boot right now.

As an extra added bonus, I can take the BB outside to the curbside outlet, plug in there and get the tunes at the side without blasting away anyone inside, or in the next trailer over either - with the big ZipDee shading me from overhead! This Airstreamin' is THE life, let me tell you.

Actually gotten a few interested folks coming by to findout how I get "all Frank Sinatra, all the time? - special Airstream feature?" Good conversation starter about AS's!!!!!!!!!

BTW, XM Bluesville Rocks!!!!

Axel