Old 04-18-2020, 04:58 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Angry Airstream cheaps out!

OK. Usually don't complain but on a new $70,000 Airstream International Signature I expected to be able to play the audio from the DVD player over the stereo. This is 2020 folks!
The factory SONY DVD player only has an HDMI and a digital audio output. The JL Stereo only has analog RCA aux inputs. All it needs to accomplish this is a $15 DAC (Digital to Analog converter) and a cable but Airstream didn't bother. Some of the older units accomplished this because the DVD players had analog RCA outputs. Hey guys! Don't upgrade the equipment and then cheap out on the converter, thereby losing capability. Even Jayco does this!
Mack1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 06:56 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Lafayette , California
Sounds like you know the solution. Buy a $15 digital to analog converter and a cable and install them.

Tim
Tim A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 07:41 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
That $15 part will add another $100 to the price of an already very expensive travel trailer that everybody is already complaining about the price of. If you really want that part in the trailer, get one and install it.
That $70,000 trailer is full of "$15 parts" that Airstream installed.
Old 04-18-2020, 09:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
Are you playing a DVD/Blue-ray video, or just an audio CD? When you just watch a TV station, do you get the audio through the radio?

On my 2013 with a Sony radio and a Samsung Blue-Ray player, the audio for DVD/Blue-Ray goes from the player to the TV, and then from the TV to a Sony interface box, and then to the radio. So you have to have the TV on to get the sound--which is fine because you are watching a video.

I've never played a music CD this way, but I think it would work. But you would still need the TV on.
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2020, 09:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
The Fusion radio has a processor delay, nearly a second, no way around it. We bought a simple adaptor to extract the audio from the hdmi cable. If the tv is muted it's rarely noticeable on screen. Without changing the head unit, the tv and running audio wire there is no way to do live TV. I'm only guessing but I'm assuming the deleting of the audio wiring from the TV back to the head unit was a result of them realizing the Fusion radio couldn't rebroadcast the TV audio without a distracting echo. Here's the thread I had on it.

https://www.airforums.com/forums/f54...io-199632.html
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 05:16 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim A. View Post
Sounds like you know the solution. Buy a $15 digital to analog converter and a cable and install them.

Tim
Done!
Old 04-19-2020, 05:32 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
That $15 part will add another $100 to the price of an already very expensive travel trailer that everybody is already complaining about the price of. If you really want that part in the trailer, get one and install it.
That $70,000 trailer is full of "$15 parts" that Airstream installed.
Well, I agree with you that this is probably the way Airstream might look at it, however, this is a luxury design, and execution item. In order to be successful at charging a luxury price for the unit, every aspect of it should be thought through and executed appropriately. That is my personal expectation. As I wrote in my post, this is 2020. Actually, what should be installed in these units based on the price are internet ready, stream ready, Bluetooth ready integrated systems. I personally don’t care anything about that while I am recreating and am happy to have a simple system that saves me $$. That said, an intelligent equipment selection by Airstream in this instance would not have resulted in additional cost or man hours installed. It would have resulted in being able to take advantage of the capabilities that exist in the installed system. And I have paid the price for the unit which gives me the right to complain about the oversight/slight. Thanks for contributing!
Old 04-19-2020, 05:56 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 30' International
Broomfield , Colorado
AV has always been an afterthought for airstream. It’s really an opportunity to uplift and customize the way you like I suppose

My setup is fully customized with 32” smart TV, Apple TV, dual DIN touch screen pioneer receiver with Apple Car Play, upgraded speakers, soundbar, all digital and all connected
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	467.0 KB
ID:	366140   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0772.JPG
Views:	25
Size:	484.6 KB
ID:	366141  

Name:	IMG_0460.JPG
Views:	27
Size:	219.3 KB
ID:	366143   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1106.JPG
Views:	23
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	366144  

wulfraat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2020, 09:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack1 View Post
Well, I agree with you that this is probably the way Airstream might look at it, however, this is a luxury design, and execution item. In order to be successful at charging a luxury price for the unit, every aspect of it should be thought through and executed appropriately. That is my personal expectation. As I wrote in my post, this is 2020. Actually, what should be installed in these units based on the price are internet ready, stream ready, Bluetooth ready integrated systems. I personally don’t care anything about that while I am recreating and am happy to have a simple system that saves me $$. That said, an intelligent equipment selection by Airstream in this instance would not have resulted in additional cost or man hours installed. It would have resulted in being able to take advantage of the capabilities that exist in the installed system. And I have paid the price for the unit which gives me the right to complain about the oversight/slight. Thanks for contributing!
I agree. While we can solve this problem on our own, I think it’s insulting that Airstream would just throw together a cheap, poorly designed AV system in a trailer that goes for $100K+.

They have heard these complaints before at International and Alumapalooza. Management gives a concerned look, writes down the issue, then probably tosses the notes in the circular file as the walk out.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 12:27 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Ours came with a hacked tv with analog out so our 2018 FC25 COULD play through the trailers speakers. We just hated having the TV sound coming down on top of our heads. I installed this superb $70 soundbar over the TV and have never looked back. You’ll need optical out for this to work. Not sure if your TV has that. If not, an upgraded TV may be in order.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DCDD54EF-AD23-4896-94ED-379E3393B94E.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	366170  
daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 08:16 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Overland Park , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Ours came with a hacked tv with analog out so our 2018 FC25 COULD play through the trailers speakers. We just hated having the TV sound coming down on top of our heads. I installed this superb $70 soundbar over the TV and have never looked back. You’ll need optical out for this to work. Not sure if your TV has that. If not, an upgraded TV may be in order.

I also bought this sound bar, and it works great. We mounted ours just like your picture. Our TV is on an articulating arm. I may try to mount the sound bar to the TV so we can change the direction of the audio feed when we move the TV. The speakers on our 27’ Flying Cloud are above our heads when sitting at the dinette, so not acceptable.
Hiho Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 09:09 AM   #12
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawus"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , Milky Way
Bose Companion II...
Works well with both the TV and outside with the Mac.👍

Bob
🇺🇸
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25fb.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	366192   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_25ac.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	366193  

"Mary-Jane....'cuz 2020 sucks"

Tahawus
🌤
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 02:02 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by daleyocum View Post
Not a bad idea. I have already ordered the DAC box to enable playback via stereo, however, you make a good point that the speakers are directly over the dinette. If, after installation, I find this annoying, I might go this direction as well. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-20-2020, 04:29 PM   #14
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Since I joined this Forum many years ago, I have read of complaints about a premium trailer with cheap parts. Those complaints were going on for years before too. I remember giving the president of Airstream a hard time more than a decade ago about the same thing. He wrote it down, have no idea whether he trashed it or what. I didn't see any changes, so maybe it went in the circular file. I did get some pleasure about making him late for his haircut that day. I doubt cost cutting will change so long as the same type of people run Thor.

We didn't like the overhead speakers because when sitting at the table, one of us heard the left side too loud and the other heard the right side too loud. Of course, each of us hardly heard the other speaker. Not good stereo when you are a few feet from one speaker and 4 or 5 from the other. Poor speaker placement is not uncommon in RV's. A sound bar over the TV with the RV speakers muted makes a lot of sense. it will cost more than $15, but you can take it with you when you sell the Airstream.

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2020, 10:21 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2020 23' International
Kansas City , Missouri
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Since I joined this Forum many years ago, I have read of complaints about a premium trailer with cheap parts. Those complaints were going on for years before too. I remember giving the president of Airstream a hard time more than a decade ago about the same thing. He wrote it down, have no idea whether he trashed it or what. I didn't see any changes, so maybe it went in the circular file. I did get some pleasure about making him late for his haircut that day. I doubt cost cutting will change so long as the same type of people run Thor.

We didn't like the overhead speakers because when sitting at the table, one of us heard the left side too loud and the other heard the right side too loud. Of course, each of us hardly heard the other speaker. Not good stereo when you are a few feet from one speaker and 4 or 5 from the other. Poor speaker placement is not uncommon in RV's. A sound bar over the TV with the RV speakers muted makes a lot of sense. it will cost more than $15, but you can take it with you when you sell the Airstream.
Old 04-21-2020, 12:10 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiho Silver View Post
I also bought this sound bar, and it works great. We mounted ours just like your picture. Our TV is on an articulating arm. I may try to mount the sound bar to the TV so we can change the direction of the audio feed when we move the TV. The speakers on our 27’ Flying Cloud are above our heads when sitting at the dinette, so not acceptable.
Yes, the articulated arm is also a good addition. It helps to even out the viewing between both sides of the dinette. We used this one. It’s way over designed for a small TV but I didn’t want it breaking on a dirt road.

We upgraded the TV to a 32” Samsung 5 series smart TV. That is 1080p with built in Apple TV.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	3D9ACEE7-197F-4A09-8E4B-9F95A6FCC5EA.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	366233   Click image for larger version

Name:	27E7E667-33CC-4878-B18C-55D6A1FE093C.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	366234  

daleyocum is offline   Reply With Quote