Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-15-2012, 05:53 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Rancho Murieta , California
Adding iPod capability-2007 Safari

I just purchased a 2007 Safari 27FB SE LE. I want to add iPod capabilty but am stumped. a) Can it be done with my existing system? b) If not, how big is the headache to change out the current system? c) Any other ideas out there is AS Land?

Thank you,

Ronman
Ronman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Ronman,
I realize that you want your iPod to interface (plug into) with the audio system on your trailer.
  1. When you say that you want your trailer to be iPod cable, what do you want to happen?
  2. What kind of radio do you have currently (can you post a picture or include the make and model number)?
  3. What kind of IPod do you have?
  4. Maybe you want a docking station that you can set the iPod into. If so, where would you like the docking station to be?
Anything is possible. Some things are practical, others not so much. But first you need to better define what you want to do.

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
I assume then that your As audio/video system does not have audio input jacks located in the overhead cabinet adjacent to the faceplate. My 2006 International 28 did and I connected my iPod there. It worked great. I'm not familiar with the FB layout, so it is possible that there is no external audio input capability.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:20 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Cat City , California
There's a lot of easy ways to connect A to B. But, you have to know what is A and what is B before you can advise how! Whatcha got in the trailer for starters?

Usually, it is a simple cable needed. Like a 1/8" mini stereo to RCA might be used on an older "radio" or "stereo head" that might be found in a trailer. More info!
mstephens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:42 PM   #5
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
The simplest way (albeit not the HIghest of FIs) is to buy one of those cheap (under $10) devices that accepts the stereo 1/8" jacks,an SD card, or even a thumb drive. They plug into a 12V socket and broadcast to your radio in FM stereo.

They even come with a tiny remote. That's what we use when we travel. You can even rip talking books onto a thumb drive or SD card and leave the CDs at home.

They're great!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:48 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Here's one imported by an American retailer, so $15. You can find them direct from China including shipping under ten bucks (with no name on them).

PYLE PLMP3C1 PLUG IN CAR MP3/USB/SD/IPOD WIRELESS FM TRANSMITTER/MODULATOR | eBay
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:00 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
More information!

Steve and Gang,
Thanks so much for the quick response. I guess having ALL the information makes giving advice a little easier! DUH! So...here is what I have.
- My system is Sony.
- The CD / DVD/ Audio deck is: CDX- ca710X
- The cabinet next to the deck has audio input jacks.
- There is an Auxiliary Box model #XA-300. This box has a USB port also. The owner's manual for this device says I can plug my computer, DVD multi-disk changer, (Which I have) my laptop or my "WALKMAN" into it.
I have attached photos also. Once again...any input you have is greatly appreciated!
Ron
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Deck.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	340.6 KB
ID:	174788   Click image for larger version

Name:	Model.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	264.8 KB
ID:	174789  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cabinet Plugs.JPG
Views:	124
Size:	339.6 KB
ID:	174790   Click image for larger version

Name:	AUX Box.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	518.8 KB
ID:	174791  

Old 12-16-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
If you just want iPod playback, you have most of what you need here. Pickup RCA to headphone jack adapter at Radio Shack or you local electronics place, and plug in the the Audio In jack, referenced in the above picture.

You have to switch to the CD Changer mode, (CDC2 I think) to get into the the 'virtual
CD changer' inputs that the XA-300 passes to the radio.

I would not bother having iPod track control. It's too expensive when the iPod is really just sitting next to the stereo.
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 11:17 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Chris, Sounds pretty simple. Yes...All I want to do is play music from the iPod. I also should have mentioned that i want to use the iPod function from my iPhone. I guess it's the same thing.

Thanks!! I'll give it a try!

BTW: I must say that I enjoy airforums so much. Both giving and receiving information. Everyone is so helpful.
Old 12-16-2012, 11:43 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Some Place with a German Name , Texas
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia
I almost added iPhone to my description, but yeah, it's the same. I always use my iPhone or iPad to power the tunes in the trailer. I also use them to play movies on the TV (in HD) with the HDMI out adapter from Apple. The TV then passes audio to the head unit (sadly, not in surround).
Westfalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Easy Peasy

Yes, it is that easy. I have an '06 with a similar set up. Like Chris said, get an RCA to headphone adapter, plug it in and away you go. You do need to change the output mode on your CD changer but once done, it works fine.

Make sure you get a long enough cord if you want to have your iPod sitting on the table while it is playing.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:53 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Chris & Aftermath,

I am headed to Best Buy right now! Thanks again for an easy fix to my mentally complecated problem! We LOVE Forums!!

Happy Holidays!

Ron
Old 12-18-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1991 34' Limited
Wichita , Kansas
Ron,
It looks like you're on your way! Sorry that I've been out of the loop for a couple of days, but you're headed in the right direction. Keep us posted on how things turn out. I believe that you'll be satisified!

Steve
Steve Bryant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Everyone, I am in BUSINESS! Bought a 7' cord yesterday at Best Buy for $18.00 and tested it this morning. Works like a CHAMP! In fact, my wife called me in the middle of the test and I had her piped in over the speakers.
Thanks again to the Airstream Forum brethren! You guys make it all worth while!
Ron