Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-13-2008, 02:07 PM   #1
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Adding a 12V stereo (iPod ready?) to vintage AS

So, some wacky friends of mine have decided that Stella must appear in the Old West Days parade ... as a cathouse. The parade is all flags, boy scouts, dogs on leashes, rodeo queens, etc., so the ladies decided we needed to up the humor by having a quartet of saloon girls hanging out the door of the AS during the parade and blasting cat-appropriate songs, like "Cat Scratch Fever," "Black Cat," etc.

Problem: No 12V audio system exists in my 1967 Safari. I've just been watching DVDs on my laptop and playing iPod music on an iPod-ready 110v stereo. Would it be expensive or even possible to install a decent audio system that would project throughout the AS and even outside of it, or should we just get the tow vehicle to blast our tunes? I would think my budget for this would be pretty minimal... $500 max.

Thanks!

Jo in Wyo (painting Stella's tongue, bumper, step, shining up the cowgirl boots)
Old 04-13-2008, 02:14 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Wow, for $500 you can get a pretty good system, providing you do the install yourself.
I looked at a Sony marine CD player with AM FM electronic tuner with a pair of weather resistant speakers, for about $150. The player and speakers are white in color. You can mount it in the front overhead compartment over your gaucho, and run the wires for the speakers to the sides of the compartment. You can get a radio antenna for an import car (90 degree angle mount, with a second brace to keep it from "whipping") to install on the side of your coach.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:32 PM   #3
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
Ooh, that sounds good! I might even be able to buy beer for audio friends and get some install help.

Kind of like this one?
Old 04-13-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Be wary of the Sony Xplod systems that say they are iPod ready. I don't know what the factory has installed this last year but Xplod has been the family of systems they've installed in the past. The basic system is not compatible and requires a separate piece of Sony equipment that is a piece of kludge. Credit to myoung for telling it like it is - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f397...tml#post297641. I've now seen the Sony XA-110IP adapter -- it removes all iPod controls from the equation. The XA-110IP interface is horrible and makes it very difficult to select one song, to say nothing of a playlist. Just not possible. Try to have a retailer demonstrate the iPod connection before you buy anything.

Aren't the optional exterior factory speakers wireless? I think you'd be just as successful putting loudspeakers on top of your tow vehicle.

Is this the effect you are after?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sin_on_wheels.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	58116  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 02:45 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Hey Bob,

Can I borrow that book when you're done with it?

Stella, do you have 12V available in your trailer?

Would an invertor work to plug your current stereo into?
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:04 PM   #6
Upgrading piece by piece

1967 22' Safari
Jackson , Wyoming
That's exactly the idea! Mothers, hold your chilluns close and cover their eyes. Saloon girls gone wild!

I just had a new converter installed and a new battery, so all the 12v stuff works, but I'm on a 110 fridge so I don't want ALL the 110 to drain down a battery... I guess I need to go figger out what an inverter does now. I thought that was a thingymabob that you need when you have solar to help run 110 stuff... nope, I don't have one, and I suspect it would be more expensive than running a 12v stereo.

My DH missed television while we were camping and is intrigued by the idea of adding AV to the AS, but I think adding a full-on audio-video system with satellite is many moons down the road. We just
don't get enough vacay time right now to justify that.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
Here's a short definition of an inverter:

An inverter is an electronic device that produces alternating current (AC) from direct current (DC).

I have a small inverter (140 watts) in my truck that I've used to power my laptop when I used it as a GPS. It uses the cigarette lighter outlet.
BRN #20321 Air #4056
"Oooh - They have the Internet on computers now!" - Homer Simpson
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:27 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stella
Ooh, that sounds good! I might even be able to buy beer for audio friends and get some install help.

Kind of like this one?
Yes. The one I saw had speakers, but I'm sure they can be had separately.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:34 PM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
You might want to look at this:

In stock. Usually ships
in 1-3 business days.

Cambridge SoundWorks - Mick Fleetwood Signature Model Twelve Portable Music SystemMick Fleetwood has been using the Model Twelve for several years, taking it on tour and on vacation, as well as using it at home. For Mick, the Model Twelve is pure listening enjoyment. $499.99

I've been using them for years and they work great! Have one in my Sprinter as a sound system with the Sirius reciver and another in the CCD. A snap to install and the sound is incredible!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 03:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Jo,

For $500 you should be able to get a stereo with 5.1 digital surround, and TV hook-ups. Throw in some top notch speakers and you would have a truely thumping system.

Steve
Old 04-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jo -- Your Tacoma wouldn't happen to have a 12V outlet in the pickup box would it? That might be the most direct source of 12V power which could be a factor if you end up using a 110V system and portable inverter (eg, for a boombox).

Lew, does that system take input from an iPod? Or mp3? Jo, could you just burn a CD with mix and match tracks from other CDs?

Just don't use duct tape if you "decorate" your rollin' [ahem] for the parade.

Denny, Sin on Wheels is more a pulp-themed romp logbook than a work of repressed desires. I think you're lookin' for sumpin' more like the followin'. I'd bring it to Moraine View but the local constabulary is keeping my copy under lock and key in their "evidence room" or so they tell me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Trailer Tramp.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	58117  

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Ogden , Utah
This is what we did.

Before our last trip, I grabbed our Bose Wave and threw it in the trailer. We have an aux. cord that we use to connect an XM unit (to listen to Red Sox games), or to connect the IPod. The accoustics are actually incredible! The benefit over a 12V system is the versatility of being able to use it while home. The downside is that we must have the generator running if not on shore power.http://http://www.bose.com/controlle...rcd_wave_index
Old 04-13-2008, 04:23 PM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
One of the benefits of the CSW Model 12 is a built-in dual power source: 12VDC or 120VAC...your choice. The case becomes the subwoofer for great, balance sound. Very slick.....ultimtely portable with great sound.

It has 3 standard RCA inputs thawill work fine with an MP3 adapter.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Tivoli

Hi Stella, I use a Tivoli in the Safari. Look here! It runs on both 12V DC and 120V AC and aux. input for the I-pod. It also comes with an optional sub-woofer. It fits nicely on the cover for the water tank between the seats of the front dinette.

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2008, 05:46 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Be wary of the Sony Xplod systems that say they are iPod ready. I don't know what the factory has installed this last year but Xplod has been the family of systems they've installed in the past. The basic system is not compatible and requires a separate piece of Sony equipment that is a piece of kludge. Credit to myoung for telling it like it is - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f397...tml#post297641. I've now seen the Sony XA-110IP adapter -- it removes all iPod controls from the equation. The XA-110IP interface is horrible and makes it very difficult to select one song, to say nothing of a playlist. Just not possible. Try to have a retailer demonstrate the iPod connection before you buy anything.

Aren't the optional exterior factory speakers wireless? I think you'd be just as successful putting loudspeakers on top of your tow vehicle.

Is this the effect you are after?
Thanks for the heads up on the early Sony systems. I am now looking for something iPhone compatible. Apparently, the phone part brings even more to the table.

Perhaps the Safari’s were more extensively equipped than my ’67 Trade Wind, but there are no wireless speakers on mine. I can’t seem to find any mention of them in the ’83 owner’s manual for my Excella or the ’84 shop manual I got from Airstream either. Ok, I know what you meant.

Oh, and pass my name on to both of those fine, upstanding looking ladies.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:30 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
I am currently reading up on five models of players for my vintage. The decision is between Kenwood's DDX512 or DDX712, Jensen's VM9022 or AWM970, or Pioneer's AVH-P4000DVD.

I do believe you could find one on ebay within the $500 limit. However, that would not include speakers.

It is possible to have an all 12 volt multimedia system (LCD, speakers, and DVD/IPOD/WMA/MP3/CD/AM/FM/HDTV).
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v