Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-24-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Added Satellite to my 65 Caravel

Added Satellite to my 65 Caravel, and my question is, had anybody tried Align a Site? I checked out there web site and read the reviews posted on Camping World web site, and all are saying what a great tool for finding the satellite. There web address is below..............Thanks

http://www.alignasite.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	conv_AlignASite.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	34484  
toastie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 09:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
Wow that's expensive! You can do the alignment with a Compass and someone watching the signal level on the TV. The Beam width of the antenna used is pretty wide when it reaches the satellite at 100 + miles away, just not too touchy of an adjustment. Try the method suggested by most satellite dish makers, point the antenna to the South and at 20 to 30 deg elevation. That is a good starting point then just tweak it for the maximum signal. Give this a try and I think you'll find you don't need something else to pack around.
Old 03-24-2007, 10:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Hi,

I have used my satellite dish for two years now and I gave up using the gadgets after about a month (I had a signal sensor...)

Here is the simple drill:

Set up everything at home (always nice to learn in comfort). Fire up the tv and receiver. Go to satellite aiming on your menu page. Enter your zip code and you will get the azimuth (up and down) and direction (left and right) you need to point.

Get the antenna as level as possible (I have a tripod -- I have seen some nice homemade ground stands made of PVC). Set the antenna azimuth using the markings on the antenna mount (don't try to eyeball it). Using your spiffy Girl/Boy Scout compass, point the antenna more or less in the direction required (I look in the direction the compass indicates and pick out something to use as a landmark).

Set up the aiming page again on your TV and using the built in signal meter, tweak the antenna back and forth until the signal peaks. If you have someone with you to watch the meter while you move the antenna it is helpful but not critical. Anything above 70 is great. May work as low as mid-50's.

Generally speaking, once you've done it a couple of times, you'll seldom need more than a couple of minutes to dial it in. I would use the big bucks the magic satellite gadget costs to buy a swell set of neon flamingos.........

Note: If you seem to have a strong signal but no reception, you may be on the wrong satellite, try moving the antenna 5 degrees or so left or right and see if you don't magically detect another signal... This was only a problem for me in Eastern Canada -- I kept trying to tune the Canadian satellite until one of the locals showed me the error of my ways.

I would try it this way at least for a few trips before I bought the expensive gizmo.

Good Luck,

Mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:34 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Oops - forgot one thing.....

At almost everywhere we set up in 6 months of camping last Spring/Summer/Fall there were folks already there who had their satellite dishes already up and running.

Just point where they are pointed -- nine times out of ten you'll be in business right quick.

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
I have a friend who has one of these. It's main value to him is when he is surrounded by tree, to find a spot to place his dish. If the sky is not obstructed a hand held compass and a level mount is all you really need.

What satellite provider are you using and is your dish mounted on your trailer or a tripod?

1984 310 Limited Motorhome
Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
guy99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 10:51 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
It kind of depends on which satellite service you are using and how many satellites you need to get. We have Directv (used to have Dish until they lost the ability to provide distance networks), our dish brings in signals from three satellites. I have a accutrac 22 pro satellite meter which makes the job very easy.

Courtesy Parking (W/S/E/Wi-Fi) on I-5 in Northern California, 70 miles from Oregon border
Old 03-24-2007, 11:32 AM   #7
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
I use a standard compass and a Acutrac 22 pro.
the compass gets it close and the Acutrac dials it in.
I also bought a starter install kit which included 200 feet of cable, stripper, compression crimper and compression connectors.
I got all my stuff from solidsignal.com. I got what I ordered when it was promised.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 01:15 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy99
I have a friend who has one of these. It's main value to him is when he is surrounded by tree, to find a spot to place his dish. If the sky is not obstructed a hand held compass and a level mount is all you really need.

What satellite provider are you using and is your dish mounted on your trailer or a tripod?
I have dish network and the dish 500 pro is mounted to a tripod, the align a site looks like it would be dead on everytime, and the tripod doesn't need to even to be level, total setup in less then 5 mins, and that is with one person.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:48 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
I have dish network and the dish 500 pro is mounted to a tripod, the align a site looks like it would be dead on everytime, and the tripod doesn't need to even to be level, total setup in less then 5 mins, and that is with one person.
I'd be interested in knowing how the skew works if the tripod isn't level (pole isn't plumb). The dish 500 receives from at least 2 satellites. They are at different elevations, the skew (rotation) of the dish (and LNBs) is what allows one LNB to be 'aimed' higher than the other.

Perhaps this device compensates for all of the above.

I got my stuff from thesatelliteshop.net. Their prices seem good and they've bee good to deal with.

Old 03-24-2007, 02:01 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing how the skew works if the tripod isn't level (pole isn't plumb). The dish 500 receives from at least 2 satellites. They are at different elevations, the skew (rotation) of the dish (and LNBs) is what allows one LNB to be 'aimed' higher than the other.

I got my stuff from thesatelliteshop.net. Their prices seem good and they've bee good to deal with.
This should cover it http://www.alignasite.com/BROCHURE.pdf

According to Dish Network, I only need to run one wire to lnb 119.
Old 03-24-2007, 02:31 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:

More info on picking up 2 satellites http://www.alignasite.com/Alignasite.htm

Buying one tomorrow, pricey yes, BUT
1 person installation = $157.00 at Camping World (very cheap)
2 person installation = could cost thousand's
Old 03-24-2007, 03:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Dunsmuir , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie
According to Dish Network, I only need to run one wire to lnb 119.
Thanks for the information.

You are correct about a single wire to the dish. The receiver sends different voltage to the switch in the dish to tell the switch which signal it wants. You will only need two wires from the dish if you are going to have more than one tuner/receiver. For example if you want to watch different programing on different TV's or (as in my case with the directv setup), you want to record two things at one or record one things while watching something else live. Some Dish receivers will allow this too.

No one asked, but, I much prefer the Dish PVR/DVR. Programming and image quality seem about the same.

Old 03-24-2007, 03:29 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Currently Looking...
Great Lake State , .
Quote:
Thanks for the information.

You are correct about a single wire to the dish. The receiver sends different voltage to the switch in the dish to tell the switch which signal it wants. You will only need two wires from the dish if you are going to have more than one tuner/receiver. For example if you want to watch different programing on different TV's or (as in my case with the directv setup), you want to record two things at one or record one things while watching something else live. Some Dish receivers will allow this too.

No one asked, but, I much prefer the Dish PVR/DVR. Programming and image quality seem about the same.
In my home I have the HD vip211 receiver and a 522 receiver for DVR and a 311, taking the 311 into the trailer, next month I will be going with Dishes new HD/DVR vip 622 mpeg4 and sending back the HD and the 522, will require the DISH 1000........

Tags
caravel