Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-05-2012, 05:16 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
About the original antenna

You know we all have the old antenna on the roof of our vintage airstreams. Think they are still functional to some degree! ? Ours is still up there but we have never used it. Well, actually we use the internet for television, but just thought I would ask.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:32 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
Assuming it is not damaged or missing parts, yes it will work fine.

A digital or analog signal makes no difference whatsoever to the antenna. A radio wave is a radio wave. Digital or analog refers only to how the video and audio is loaded on to the radio wave.

Although the marketing department would like you to spend your money on a new "digital" antenna....

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR-Quarius View Post
You know we all have the old antenna on the roof of our vintage airstreams.
"All" is a bit too broad a term. Many old Airstreams don't have any antennas, TV or radio. Our 1960 didn't.

Quote:
Think they are still functional to some degree?
If you are talking about the Skyliner VHF/UHF TV antennas that were used for many years, they work fine as long as the connections and transmission line are in good shape. The Skyliner on our 1980 originally used 300 ohm twin lead but some previous owner installed a balun at the antenna and brought in 75 ohm coax, which is the current standard. When we got the trailer I replaced the old balun, which was pretty weathered, and the antenna works fine.

If you look around a big Airstream rally you will see many of them still in use.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 07:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Among the surviving parts on our 67 was the antenna. After some minor repair and fresh wire, we put it back into service, and it works great. Interesting to watch the looks on people's faces when I fold out those giant antlers and turn them toward the signal.

Lynn
Old 03-05-2012, 07:35 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Jeff and Nuvite are both correct. They are not only functional to some degree, they are completely functional and work great! Despite the marketing hype that you need something new. Both my Skyliners work great.

As Nuvite said, converting to 75 ohm coax is a good idea. I did that on my '67 Trade Wind, but my '83 Excella came that way so I didn't have to do that.
Old 03-05-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Mobile , Alabama
We use the antennae on the roof of our '84 Excella whenever we are in a park without cable. Works great and we usually get quite a few stations. But, we only watch TV late at night or when the weather's bad. Otherwise, we're enjoying the great outdoors! Ours is a Winegard. Don't know if it's original or an upgrade by PO.
WBCCI #10360
Member Southeastern Camping Unit
Bettye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:21 AM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Lac du Flambeau , Wisconsin
I have a 2011 Flying Cloud with the Winegard antenna. Others in the campground get
several stations without a satellite. I get only a couple. Rotating the antenna does nothing to
help. The green booster light is lit. What, if anything, am I missing here?
Thanks !
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 10:46 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB Flying Cloud
1982 31' International
1991 35' Airstream 350
Jay , Oklahoma
On my '09 FC, the television has two cable connections. One is labeled "cable" and the other "air". I have to manually move the cable coming from the wall to the tv to the proper jack, depending the the type of reception I want. The RV park's cable or the antenna on the trailer.

Other televisions allow to make this choice in the menu system.

There is a difference in the channels between over-the-air and cable.

Make sure when you are searching for tv stations off the air, you have the tv in the right mode, of the cable connected to the right jack.

JD

jdalrymple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1983 27' Excella
Walnut Grove/Laguna Woods , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Foster
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank View Post
Among the surviving parts on our 67 was the antenna. After some minor repair and fresh wire, we put it back into service, and it works great. Interesting to watch the looks on people's faces when I fold out those giant antlers and turn them toward the signal.

Lynn
I think we have the same antenna on our '65 Caravel. Funny thing is, it was wired in using household lamp cord, and still works great with our 19" Vizio digital HD TV.

There seems to be a lot of "you really should have this" hype out there.
Past President, El Camino Real Unit WBCCI#6620
Street Rod Builder (see avatar)
Kite flier (check out links below)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp3nuNtlZcA&t=331s
https://www.youtube.com/my_videos?feature=mhee
Jim Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 11:50 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Southwestern , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I have a 2011 Flying Cloud with the Winegard antenna. Others in the campground get
several stations without a satellite. I get only a couple. Rotating the antenna does nothing to
Thanks !
There is obviously something wrong with your antenna system. You should have about the same coverage as the other folks in the campground and the antenna should exhibit some directionality.

Most likely thing is a bad connection somewhere. I would start with a good visual inspection, which will find most problems. Another possibility would be a bad amplifier, which would be harder to find.
Nuvite-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand
Thanks !
If yours is still in warranty and a dealer is convenient, you may let them troubleshoot this. Or here are some hints...

The amplifier on most new Winegard Sensar antennas is located in the center part of the antenna head. The wall plate sends a dc voltage up the coax to the antenna. On the back side of the wall plate are 3 coax connections, they are not interchangeable so the correct coax must be connected to each and they are labeled. One goes to the cable connector on the side of the TT, one goes to the 2nd tv jack and one goes to the antenna. The primary tv connects to the front of the wall plate.

I would check that each connector has a good center conductor and is securely attached to the correct connection. Also inspect the end connected to the antenna. A common failure is simply a loose connection.

The green light tells me 3 things: you have 12v to the wall plate, the switch is in the correct position to receive over the air stations from the antenna and you don't have a conductor to shield short in the coax.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Foster View Post
There seems to be a lot of "you really should have this" hype out there.
That's a very polite way of putting it.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1973 25' Tradewind
Bloomsbury , New Jersey
Riddle me this....

OK, so I have a 73 Tradewind I am restoring/ keeping mostly original. I have not or doubt I will ever take or use a TV while camping. Do I clean it up and keep it on, OR remove it to clean up the appearance of the trailer overall? MPJ
moparjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 08:37 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
We use our antenna, it works great! Moparjohn, I would be tempted to take it off and store it carefully, they are not pretty when folded! That is, if you don't use it.
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote