Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-28-2009, 06:56 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
Venice , Florida
85 Sovereign and dish install

Does anyone know where the coaxcial cable hookup is outside.

Also has anyone installed a satelite dish in place of the regular antenna in the same place, looking for tips on the install. I am looking to install the manual dish (Winegard) in the Camping World Catalog.

Thanks in advance.

Bill
airdreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:24 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
I am trying to get info from anyone on an install of satillite dish in place of the roof antenna, anyone done it ??
Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 PM   #3
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
I took the dish off of my 75. We live on the east coast and it was useless in the state parks because of the tree cover. My recomendation would be to get a tripod and use a ground mount versus the roof mount. I have also seen issues with the roof mount where the wind would cause the dish to move, causing leaks around it at the base.

The coax should be under the existing antenna if you have one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
Princeton , New Jersey
I would strongly suggest you not attempt to install a satellite antenna on the roof. If you are ever parked under trees you will not have a signal. You will want your roof antenna for local stations if you are ever more than 100 miles from home. Satellite local signals are beamed down and only cover a small area. The wiring down from the roof antenna goes into a amplifier that you would have to remove if you intend to use that wire.

Now that said consider a free standing satellite antenna with say 50 ft. of cable so you can locate the antenna out from under trees in most cases. I have a total of 100 ft. for such use. To use an external antenna you will have to install a new connection on the outside of the trailer. Mine comes in under the TV table and up through the cabinet to a plate on the table top.

The attached pictures show the outside connection and the interior cabling to allow me to use the roof antenna for local channels, the satellite box for the satellite channels, and a converter box to receive local digital signals.

The A/B box is necessary in my case because I have both systems set up at the same time and some local signals sometime override to tuner in the TV and display while I want to watch a satellite channel.

If you have questions you can respond here or send me a PM.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	adapter.JPG
Views:	119
Size:	13.8 KB
ID:	90412   Click image for larger version

Name:	small.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	90413  

HowieE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Hi, Late on the thread but I was thinking of doing the same with my 86 Sovereign. Sounds like good advice on the thread, but I was wondering what you did, did you install one or simply go with the tripod? I have an external coax outlet that would easily allow for a tripod hook up, am thinking that is the way to go, just wish it was easier to aim.
frscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
Hi, Late on the thread but I was thinking of doing the same with my 86 Sovereign. Sounds like good advice on the thread, but I was wondering what you did, did you install one or simply go with the tripod? I have an external coax outlet that would easily allow for a tripod hook up, am thinking that is the way to go, just wish it was easier to aim.
They make some gadgets that do make aiming a bit easier. I have one of these and an inline signal meter.

Maybe one of these might do the trick?

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by frscott View Post
hi, late on the thread but i was thinking of doing the same with my 86 sovereign. Sounds like good advice on the thread, but i was wondering what you did, did you install one or simply go with the tripod? I have an external coax outlet that would easily allow for a tripod hook up, am thinking that is the way to go, just wish it was easier to aim.
i had been used to using the tripod method. Pretty good results in the past with my motor home. Since buying our airstream i thought that it would be coool to have a "dish" on the roof and it would afford me more storage in the compartments. I keep forgetting that with the airstream being towed i have all the room in my suburban for the storage, i once had in the motorhome.

The more you do the set up with the tripod, the better you get! I think that direct tv is great! One bill for rving, ct and fl!! I guess i will replace the older roof antenna with a newer winegard for locals and leave at that. Good luck with your deceision.

Bill
Old 01-18-2010, 07:13 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Venice , Florida
I do not have an external coaxial connection on my AS. I drilled a hole through the frig compartment to the console in the livig area. I just coil up the wire and store it in the frig compartment. Kind of surprised me that there was no externl connection. Was this an option? Also, off topic, I only have one battery door and one battery (my intention is to install a second battery some how).
Old 01-18-2010, 07:42 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1985 34' Limited
1960 24' Tradewind
Summerville , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
Kind of surprised me that there was no externl connection. Was this an option?
Must have been. We have one done by the factory. It is under a 'flap' type outlet box (similar to the exterior power outlets) on the streetside toward the rear.
Old 01-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #10
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Even if you have a coax connection on the outside you may not be able to hook your satellite dish to it. There are two different types of coax and you need the RG-6, IIRC, for the sat signal to go through it. I don't think they had that type of cable in 1985. Even if they did, it probably wasn't installed on RV's, even Airstreams.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:00 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Wichita Falls , Texas
Oh no! A different type of cable??? I guess I will give it a shot and see what I have. I will need to replace my original antennae as I took a tree too low, and there is not much left of it. Any ideas where to get one? Camping world looks to have the simple one beam type, not the antennae that came original on the Airstream.
frscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 06:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by airdreamers View Post
I am trying to get info from anyone on an install of satillite dish in place of the roof antenna, anyone done it ??
We have friends who've purchased and installed a MotoSat automatic dish both in HDTV and regular and are happy with the system. We're having one installed on our roof this week. Go to www.motosat.com for more information should you be interested.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1958 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
MaxAB on this site recently installed a white WINGUARD DIRECTV dome on his '77 Sovereign. He installed it where the old TV aerial was mounted. It looks sweet and I'm going to install the same thing later this year.

This option has its advantages and disadvtages. The biggest advantage is that you don't have to worry about theft or having your dish blow over. I have a pic but not with me. I'll post one later tonight or you can ask him directly.

WBCCI #5661/AIR #5661/TAC # AZ-6
4CU 1st VP

My '58 Overlander Restoration and Travel Blog:
https://mellomikesairstreams.blogspot.com/
mello mike is offline   Reply With Quote