Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2009, 03:58 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Thumbs up "71 Tradewind LY speaker wire location

I need to install speakers for a stereo/cd player. The wire harness and the antenna are accessible in the control panel, so I assume it has been wired for speakers. I have the "72 service manual that gives the speaker location, but would feel much better if someone could confirm the location before I start chopping holes in the interior skin. Location given: 12" front of first rib/ up 47". Rear speakers 162" aft of first rib/ up 50". I have a '71 25' LY twin. Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
Wooden Rivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 27' Overlander
Tucson , AZ
saw this post earlier and couldn't help but wonder, "aren't there speakers in place to determine if/where the wires are". But, of course it couldn't be that easy.... Soooo, there's no evidence factory speakers were installed anywhere?

Sorry I can't help more.
funkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooden Rivet View Post
I need to install speakers for a stereo/cd player. The wire harness and the antenna are accessible in the control panel, so I assume it has been wired for speakers. I have the "72 service manual that gives the speaker location, but would feel much better if someone could confirm the location before I start chopping holes in the interior skin. Location given: 12" front of first rib/ up 47". Rear speakers 162" aft of first rib/ up 50". I have a '71 25' LY twin. Thank you for your efforts on my behalf.
The dimensions for the front is correct.

I won't be in my office for another fews day, so I cannot confirm the rear speaker location dimension, but I have never found that chart to be wrong.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 06:13 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Thanks to you both. If Andy has never known the chart to be wrong, it's probably pretty safe to cut holes. I'll be doing that this weekend. If anyone has anything to add before then, please do.
Thank
Tom Harman
Old 10-21-2009, 09:45 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
When I took the inside skins off of Little Girl, I found two places where there were loops of wire taped to the inside of the outter skin. I figured these must have been for electrical options that were not installed in our trailer. I would think that is a pretty common thing, and once you cut a hole in the inside skin, you'll find the loops of speaker wire you need. I'd start with a small hole to locate the wire, and then enlarge to the size you need for the speaker once you've located the wire.

Chris
Minno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 10:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minno View Post
When I took the inside skins off of Little Girl, I found two places where there were loops of wire taped to the inside of the outter skin. I figured these must have been for electrical options that were not installed in our trailer. I would think that is a pretty common thing, and once you cut a hole in the inside skin, you'll find the loops of speaker wire you need. I'd start with a small hole to locate the wire, and then enlarge to the size you need for the speaker once you've located the wire.

Chris
The small holes are best and only way, short of removing some interior metal panels.

Search for the wire with a "clothes hanger" that becomes a prod. Cut the hook off the hanger or untwist it. Make about a one inch hook on the end of the clothes hanger. Ot, if you saved the original hook, make it about 1/2 it's former size.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
McLeod , Texas
Sounds like good advice from all. That's the way I'll do it. It will be nice to have some decent music. Thanks to all.

Tom Harman