Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-21-2022, 05:36 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
El Granada , California
2023 Globetrotter Fusion Radio Optical Input

Hi. Anyone know how to get access the Optical connector on the rear of the Fusion Radio on the 2023 GT?

The Fusion Radio is housed in white box with a USB connector and a HDMI Port (to/from the TV HDMI ARC port).

The White box has round cable management grommet in the top of the box (which implies it can be used to add new cables (e.g. Optical to the Radio) .

The White Box has a 'lid' with 4 screws in it that looks like they can be removed to allow the 'lid' to be lifted and gain access to the rear of the Fusion unit. However when I removed these screws the 'lid' is still firmly attached to the white box.

Anyone have any thoughts? Not sure if the 2023 GT has the same white media box as older units

Thanks
skamanrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 06:39 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by skamanrev View Post
Hi. Anyone know how to get access the Optical connector on the rear of the Fusion Radio on the 2023 GT?

The Fusion Radio is housed in white box with a USB connector and a HDMI Port (to/from the TV HDMI ARC port).

The White box has round cable management grommet in the top of the box (which implies it can be used to add new cables (e.g. Optical to the Radio) .

The White Box has a 'lid' with 4 screws in it that looks like they can be removed to allow the 'lid' to be lifted and gain access to the rear of the Fusion unit. However when I removed these screws the 'lid' is still firmly attached to the white box.

Anyone have any thoughts? Not sure if the 2023 GT has the same white media box as older units

Thanks
You do not need to take lid off. There is one screw on the lower right side to remove then you can lift box up and out to access the back of the radio.
mplunkett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2022, 08:12 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
El Granada , California
Ok Thanks. I'll try doing that.
Old 12-22-2022, 05:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
Ok Thanks. I'll try doing that.
There might be two screws. You should see one or two white plastic L brackets with the screw or screws to need to remove
Old 02-15-2023, 10:59 AM   #5
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
El Granada , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplunkett View Post
There might be two screws. You should see one or two white plastic L brackets with the screw or screws to need to remove
Just wanted to let you know I did manage to get the the box out and connect the Optical Cable to the Fusion Radio. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
Old 02-15-2023, 11:53 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
El Granada , California
On a related issue. I can't seem to get audio out from the Connex ARC HDMI port. Have you tried doing this. If so what TV settings did you have to enable to make this work?
Old 02-15-2023, 04:57 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Sevierville , Tennessee
Quote:
On a related issue. I can't seem to get audio out from the Connex ARC HDMI port. Have you tried doing this. If so what TV settings did you have to enable to make this work?
In purchased a small device from Amazon that pulls the audio out of the hdmi then sends audio to rca plugs that i plugged into the radio

avedio links 4K@60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor Converter, HDMI to HDMI + Audio ( SPDIF + RCA L/R Stereo ), HDMI Video Audio Splitter Embedder Adapter for Fire Stick, Xbox, PS5, Support 3D, HDCP 2.2, 18Gpbs
Old 02-15-2023, 07:27 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
So If I am understanding this right, the TV Optical setting on the Fusion touchscreen does not mean that sound will play through the speakers in the trailer, without doing some extra work?
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2023, 12:09 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
El Granada , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplunkett View Post
In purchased a small device from Amazon that pulls the audio out of the hdmi then sends audio to rca plugs that i plugged into the radio

avedio links 4K@60Hz HDMI Audio Extractor Converter, HDMI to HDMI + Audio ( SPDIF + RCA L/R Stereo ), HDMI Video Audio Splitter Embedder Adapter for Fire Stick, Xbox, PS5, Support 3D, HDCP 2.2, 18Gpbs
Ok Yes I have a similar device J-Tech JTD18G-H5CH2 also on amazon, . So right now I have it connected to my Firestick - it extracts the audio to optical (connected to the Fusion) and the HDMI out sends the Video to the ARC HDMI port on the ConnexxTV so that all works fine.

However if I'm watching Over the Air TV or Cable/Sat on the ConnexxTV I cannot get the TV audio to play in Fusion I.e. the TV Audio should be on sent on the HDMI ARC port, and the HDMI extractor should receive and send to the optical out.

I tested this set up at home with the same extractor, fire stick, my Sony TV and my home receiver and it worked fine. Extracted audio from the firestick when it was on, and TV Audio when the TV was connected to cable.
Old 02-16-2023, 12:12 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
El Granada , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcc75 View Post
So If I am understanding this right, the TV Optical setting on the Fusion touchscreen does not mean that sound will play through the speakers in the trailer, without doing some extra work?
Yes that's right there is nothing connected to the Fusion Optical Input on the 2023 Globetrotter. See notes above on how to get access to the rear of the radio
Old 03-15-2023, 01:04 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
Florence , Kentucky
Quote:
Yes that's right there is nothing connected to the Fusion Optical Input on the 2023 Globetrotter. See notes above on how to get access to the rear of the radio
Greetings,
We recently took delivery of a 2023 Globetrotter 27FBT only to discover there is no sound around with the newer AS trailers w/Fusion steros. Real shame AS has stopped this as we really enjoyed it with our previous International. Does anyone by chance have a drawing and parts list for how to accomplish this? Doesn't sound (pardon the pun) like it is too difficult for someone without a stero/electronic background but a drawing/eaxct details would be very much appreciated. A youtube video suggested going through a DVD player but perhaps this was just for the DVD? Certainly appreciate any details you can share to make this work vs. running cables inside cabinets.
Thank you
ChaseTrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 11:51 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

2023 27' Globetrotter
El Granada , California
2023 Globetrotter Fusion Radio Optical Input

Hi,

You may have already solved this. But if you are trying to watch Over the Air or Cable/Sat TV on the Connex TV and want that to play the audio through the fusion. I don't have a solution for that. I have not been able to figure out how to get Audio FROM THE TV on the ARC port.

However if you are watching TV from a device (Firestick, Apple TV, DVD, etc) then I do have a solution for that.

I.e Device Audio -> Fusion, Device Video to TV via HDMI ARC.

I have NOT been able to make this work

TV connected to Cable/Sat and TV audio out on HDMI ARC

I cannot find any setting the TV that enables TV Audio on HDMI ARC

Maybe others have

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseTrout View Post
Greetings,
We recently took delivery of a 2023 Globetrotter 27FBT only to discover there is no sound around with the newer AS trailers w/Fusion steros. Real shame AS has stopped this as we really enjoyed it with our previous International. Does anyone by chance have a drawing and parts list for how to accomplish this? Doesn't sound (pardon the pun) like it is too difficult for someone without a stero/electronic background but a drawing/eaxct details would be very much appreciated. A youtube video suggested going through a DVD player but perhaps this was just for the DVD? Certainly appreciate any details you can share to make this work vs. running cables inside cabinets.
Thank you