Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-27-2017, 02:37 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
2015 clarion radio system

We have the dreaded Clarion radio system. Trying to work this pusher and knob is a nightmare. This m502 is sirius ready and the manual states where to find the number to activate. Of course the Clarion manual states you can do it and it will tune to sirius once you activate the sirius account with the number you find in the AM band channel 0. Of course we can't get to that channel. I have found the reset and tried but nothing seamed to reset. I have on scroll and tried to scroll to 0. But it stops at 530 and 1710. The manual is worthless. I have pushed, spun the knob On aux the menu that shows up on the screen dates sirius. What a joke.

Is anyone out there competent in how to work this sucker M502 model. If you do not have this model please do not respond. Thank you
cegardner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Unless you want a bigger headache do not call the Clarion UN-Helpful line.

They insisted I needed to download a software update. I hung up- called back 20seconds later.
Same guy - I ask the same question - he said - you must download the software update
I told him I just did-- he said that was fast - I said I am good [emoji4]

Now can you tell me how to connect my iPhone [emoji336]-- he hung up

Grrrrrr - I figured it out

Good luck with Sirius
Mikenbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I have a Clarion and hate it too but even though it is SiriusXM ready you will still need to install a SiriusXM tuner and antenna. That is why you cannot find the activation number.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:17 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Eugene , Oregon
I don't think competency is the issue with this stereo unit . The user interface is potentially the most terrible one I have ever used on any electronic device. One day I will replace the whole unit. That will be a good day !
Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:21 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by AStreamNerds View Post
I have a Clarion and hate it too but even though it is SiriusXM ready you will still need to install a SiriusXM tuner and antenna. That is why you cannot find the activation number.
You are correct....tuner needs to be purchased. And you'll have to pay a new subscription fee I believe.
Old 04-27-2017, 05:26 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Ocala , Florida
Anybody recommend a good head unit -- same size and easy plug n play interface?
Bluetooth to iPhone essential

Thanks
Mikenbern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 05:29 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
What I did was get a Sirius Onyx Plus radio with vehicle equipment....free on Sirius site....and got a monthly subscription..Installed Sirius radio using RCA cables.....seperate purchase...and can now play the Sirius Radio through AUX on the m502. Works great. Can also move radio to the house and using a Home Kit, play music through my stereo. PM me if you need detailed instructions.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Thank you all for your help. How have you used the antenna for the sirius without wiring through the unit skin?
Old 04-28-2017, 09:59 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Huntley , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBigfoot View Post
What I did was get a Sirius Onyx Plus radio with vehicle equipment....free on Sirius site....and got a monthly subscription..Installed Sirius radio using RCA cables.....seperate purchase...and can now play the Sirius Radio through AUX on the m502. Works great. Can also move radio to the house and using a Home Kit, play music through my stereo. PM me if you need detailed instructions.

How did you manage the antenna you needed? Thanks for your help
Old 04-28-2017, 12:01 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Clarian Complex Crap

I thought it might be me. in my 2016 FC 25 after about 3 weeks the Clarian cut in and then out as I listened to radio stations. Then, when I tried to turn it off, it turned itself back on, randomly. When I then turned volume to zero it buzzed unpleasantly and sometimes I could not turn it off. The woofer was consistently so unpleasantly low I disconnected it. Now I see customer service is not worth the time to contact. Hopefully the AS procurement people will dump the provider. I will be shopping for a replacement.
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:14 PM   #11

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Shelton , Washington
The Clarion is the worst ever. Has anyone replaced the Clarion with another product that actually works and if so, what did you buy?
Mccarty101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 12:04 PM   #12
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccarty101 View Post
The Clarion is the worst ever. Has anyone replaced the Clarion with another product that actually works and if so, what did you buy?
Here you go....http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...cs-165213.html
Old 04-30-2017, 12:47 PM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
London , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by cegardner View Post
Thank you all for your help. How have you used the antenna for the sirius without wiring through the unit skin?
I was able to make connections behind the TV in the 26U. The TV has RCA cables running to the Clarion radio using the AUX setting. I unplugged the TV from the RCA cables and using pass through connectors, added a stereo out/RCA cable from the Sirius radio....a separate purchase....I now have music from all AS speakers using the AUX on the Clarion radio. TV sound only comes from the TV speakers....a switcher box would take care of that if you want TV sound through the AS speakers.

Used double sided tape to attach the Sirius base to the AS wall. Radio slides in or lifts off as needed.

The Sirius power adapter in the vehicle kit is the cigarette style of plug...late model ASs don't have an outlet for it. So, I purchased a 5V USB power cord that fits late model Sirius radios. Plugged that into a 110/USB adapter you can get for phones. Works when plugged into shore power or when inverter is on.

I was able to run the antenna wire along the bathroom wall at the roof line....tucked in nicely...95% hidden. Then ended up at the skylight. Used double sided tape to attach the antenna head right at the top of the skylight. Get full set of bars for a signal. Haven't parked under trees yet, but it works really well in the open spaces.

http://
Old 05-18-2017, 10:20 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Austin , Texas
We have a new 2017 with the Clarion system. Agreed that it is the most terrible interface
ever. Looking to replace soon.
garykendrick is offline   Reply With Quote