Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Electronics & Connectivity > Audio, Video & TV
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-15-2008, 09:39 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
2007 Intl Speakers-what size are they...?

Hello,

Has anyone upgraded the sound system inside their new trailer? Since the floorplan has me sitting beneath just one speaker to watch the late night movie, I can tell that the stock speaker/s just aren't cutting it. They're ok, but the distinction between voice and sound effects just isn't good enough.

Are they 5", 5.25", or ?

Were they a solderless connection?

Thanks,

yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 12:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakman View Post
Hello,

Has anyone upgraded the sound system inside their new trailer? Since the floorplan has me sitting beneath just one speaker to watch the late night movie, I can tell that the stock speaker/s just aren't cutting it. They're ok, but the distinction between voice and sound effects just isn't good enough.

Are they 5", 5.25", or ?

Were they a solderless connection?

Thanks,

yakman
I'm sitting under one of mine right nowand it sure looks like a 6". Even the tape measure thinks it's a 6-er. I don't use the on-board system though, opting instead for a Cambridge Soundworks portable 12VDC/120VAC satellite/subwoofer system. IT ROCKS THE HOUSE!!!!

And yes, they are solderless terminals and the speakers are removable from the front.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 09:03 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Rivet Here’s What I Did

Hi yakman,

While I don’t know about the 2007 speakers, I’ll bet they are the same as the ones in my ’83, 5¼”. Here’s a thread about my replacement with photos: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f450...ent-38596.html

There’s also a photo of the replacement pushbutton switch in the bedroom that got me started. I included the box so the part number is visible.

I’m very happy with these. Now I need to get the Sansui subwoofer & amp out of the Trade Wind and into the Excella.

Oh, they are solderless female connectors that slide onto the speakers.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:48 AM   #4
tpi
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Trabuco Canyon , California
They look like standard 6.5 inch automotive speakers. Many appear on this page:

Amazon.com: Speakers - Car Speakers & Subwoofers: Marine Speakers, 6.5 Inch, 6 x 9 Inch, Full-Range Box Speakers & More
tpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Gahanna , Ohio
and the winner is... 6 and one-quarter!!

I picked up a set of Infinity 6022i 6.5" car audio speakers and looked at the puzzling array of adapters, screws and rings and two templates that came with the speakers. The actual measurement of the speaker is 6.25", but for some reason, they call them 6.5" speakers. When I realized the monster size hole they want you to cut into your vehicle (our trailer) to mount them I thought that they had to go back to the store! Then I realized that I could just set them inside the plastic cover that Airstream provided for me! They fit just fine. The only downside is that on the two way portion of my speaker, the tweeter, has a little +3db switch that I cannot access with the stock speaker cover on there. Oh well, I turned it on, screwed the covers back in place and I'm off and running. Basic plug and play.

The sound is much better. Not the muddled mix as before. There's actually definition in the music and movies now. I'm happy and didn't break the bank for the upgrade and no new holes were drilled. Although down the road, I may try a larger screw. The holes from the factory and the 4 screws around the cover are the only thing keeping that speaker in place. They seem a little mushy and I tried not to overtighten.

These particular Infinity's require you to drill a nearly 6.5" hole and then a 3 prong adapter holds it in place. That would allow you to use the Infinity speaker cover. I opted just to slap them under the Airstream plastic cover and avoid drilling the larger hole. So no fancy Infinity covers in the trailer.

Just a little over $100 for the pair. I will upgrade the bedroom soon as they only had one pair. There is certainly a difference when I jump from the dinette to the bedroom to compare though.

I'm a happy camper.

-yakman
yakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2008, 03:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Great! I guess AS really has upgraded the speakers in the newer units.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:55 PM   #7
_

. , .
i thought this thread was about something else...

like WHO and HOW BIG are the scheduled speakers for next summer in madison.

sort of like the 'best mod for under 100$'...

not as good as being 'beaten down by old people', but almost.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote